House Price Crash Forum

Media Streamer - Iplayer/4Od/lovefilm Etc

Long Way Down

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Xbox.

Edit:

Also Samsung and Sony DVD players do this also BUT be warned... I have heard people say that the players do not get updated on the Sony ones.

I've got this one...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-F6500/XU

Absolutely top-notch...Its got Plex on it, and I've managed to stream my music from my iphone to it via iMediaShare...

Edit - I've just updated mine with Demand5...For smart content, AFAIK, Samsung are prob. the best..

HOLA444

Xbox.

Edit:

Also Samsung and Sony DVD players do this also BUT be warned... I have heard people say that the players do not get updated on the Sony ones.

xbox requires a xbox live gold account to stream anything other than iplayer, not sure it has itv Player either.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

xbox requires a xbox live gold account to stream anything other than iplayer, not sure it has itv Player either.

You can pick a 12 month subscription up for as little as £15 in various supermarkets - just have to wait for the deals that are on. You can often pick up 1 or 3 month free deals so I don't see the gold account as an issue.

The plus side is that the xbox is designed to be a media streamer, the players are regularly updated and you get a big HD to store videos on. No one watches ITV anyhow do they? :P

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

We have a Humax TV recorder box thing which can stream on demand stuff. Must admit I have never actually used it because all of the same things are built into the TV anyway. It has iPlayer and I think 4oD is on there too now, I keep meaning to plug in the ethernet connection and update it to see. It just gets used as a recorder.

And that's the other point - it doesn't have WiFi, but then it wouldn't work very well in our house anyway - you can get a WiFi signal on say a mobile device downstairs (phone, laptop etc) but you're hard pressed to get more than about 5Meg out of it over WiFi if you're lucky, with poor latency - it's very variable. Though in fairness, the router is one floor up and at the other end of the house.

The microwave is on the other side of the admittedly quite thick wall to the TV, turning that on doesn't help (WiFi drops in kitchen) and in built up areas with many WiFi signals you can get interference on the channels - generally I'd have said an ethernet connection is worthwhile for streaming especially if you can/want to stream HD stuff so need a consistent, high speed (6Meg+). We use "powerplugs" to get the connection from the router upstairs to the power socket next to the TV downstairs.

But, the newer Humax boxes may have WiFi.

HOLA4412

We have a Humax TV recorder box thing which can stream on demand stuff. Must admit I have never actually used it because all of the same things are built into the TV anyway. It has iPlayer and I think 4oD is on there too now, I keep meaning to plug in the ethernet connection and update it to see. It just gets used as a recorder.

And that's the other point - it doesn't have WiFi, but then it wouldn't work very well in our house anyway - you can get a WiFi signal on say a mobile device downstairs (phone, laptop etc) but you're hard pressed to get more than about 5Meg out of it over WiFi if you're lucky, with poor latency - it's very variable. Though in fairness, the router is one floor up and at the other end of the house.

The microwave is on the other side of the admittedly quite thick wall to the TV, turning that on doesn't help (WiFi drops in kitchen) and in built up areas with many WiFi signals you can get interference on the channels - generally I'd have said an ethernet connection is worthwhile for streaming especially if you can/want to stream HD stuff so need a consistent, high speed (6Meg+). We use "powerplugs" to get the connection from the router upstairs to the power socket next to the TV downstairs.

But, the newer Humax boxes may have WiFi.

The only Humax box that I know of, that will do everything that the MT wants, is the Youview box - which is around 250 quid. However its not wireless, and a set of homeplugs will set you back another at least another twenty or so...I've only heard of real problems with WiFi, is if you live in a thick-walled property....It also depends if you want the recorder facility too...

The Samsung blu ray player I mentioned above has all the on demand apps as well as netflix, youtube & lovefilm..I spent about a week, about a month ago, looking for something suitable..It set me back about 110 notes...

The only VOD service I believe that streams HD, is knowhowmovies (which comes on Samsung & LG smart equipment)...For iplayer for instance, you need a minimum of a 2 meg connection...

HOLA4413

The only Humax box that I know of, that will do everything that the MT wants, is the Youview box - which is around 250 quid. However its not wireless, and a set of homeplugs will set you back another at least another twenty or so...I've only heard of real problems with WiFi, is if you live in a thick-walled property....It also depends if you want the recorder facility too...

The Samsung blu ray player I mentioned above has all the on demand apps as well as netflix, youtube & lovefilm..I spent about a week, about a month ago, looking for something suitable..It set me back about 110 notes...

The only VOD service I believe that streams HD, is knowhowmovies (which comes on Samsung & LG smart equipment)...For iplayer for instance, you need a minimum of a 2 meg connection...

It did seem extraordinary that the much-touted, long awaited YouView box didn't have Wi-Fi built in.

The Panasonic TV we have has, or should I say, had (it has shut down now) Acetrax [VOD] which demanded 5Mbps for HD streaming. I calculated based on usage that the actual streaming rate was about 4.6Meg.

YouTube needs about 6Meg for HD streaming, I think this might be adaptive though - TV size is 42" or 43" and many music tracks (e.g. the official artist uploads) only show up in HD format, no SD version. Burns through data very rapidly.

Netflix can stream at very low rates, but I tend to find anything under about 2Meg looks really dreadful. It is continuously adpative e.g. it adjusts the compression in realtime by sampling frequently, you can see this as a visual glitch which looks like someone has walked in front of the camera. Tends to do this in the first 30 seconds of a film or show as it flicks the resolution up a couple of times until it looks like good SD TV. However I believe it can stream at 10Mbps on certain things where that quality level is available.

HOLA4414

I've got this one...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-F6500/XU

Absolutely top-notch...Its got Plex on it, and I've managed to stream my music from my iphone to it via iMediaShare...

Edit - I've just updated mine with Demand5...For smart content, AFAIK, Samsung are prob. the best..

We'll guys, for 100 quid, this Samsung seems to tick all the boxes - with the bonus of Blu-ray.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If Wi-Fi too slow will buy some of the plug in devices.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

We'll guys, for 100 quid, this Samsung seems to tick all the boxes - with the bonus of Blu-ray.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If Wi-Fi too slow will buy some of the plug in devices.

Enjoy... we hardly ever watch off air TV now, it's all recorded on the box or streamed from iPlayer or YouTube.

HOLA4417

Archived