House Price Crash Forum

Graduates:242,725 In 2012 Versus An Estimated 60,000 Graduate Jobs

HOLA441

Yup. One of my nieces is doing a degree at an art college. Completely pointless. I suspect it is because her mother didnt go to Uni and wants to have kids that 'make it. The kid will leave with debts of 40k+, or her parents will write it off. Imagine what you could instead do with 40k gifted at 19 to set yourself up for life!

I do not bother discussing the insanity any more with them.

My Niece is a great painter.

She HAS to go to Uni, because, unless she has that scroll and photo in gown and mortar board, her opinion counts for NOTHING..her work says NOTHING...

HOLA442
Guest eight

So even in the midst of an economic depression, Britain is short of 10,000 physics teachers ???

There's 3000 physics graduates produced in the UK every year.

Apparently they're recruiting 900 (from somewhere) per annum into teaching.

I can totally understand why someone might want to study physics, but why someone would want to pay U.K. student fees to do so is beyond me.

Interesting to see if they ever fulfil teacher supply and demand.

I'm pretty confident I could start teaching GCSE physics tomorrow, based purely on my twenty year old GCSE in physics..... Something tells me that's not really going to cut it though. Still, their loss.

HOLA443

My Niece is a great painter.

She HAS to go to Uni, because, unless she has that scroll and photo in gown and mortar board, her opinion counts for NOTHING..her work says NOTHING...

Some of the best works of art are created by people without any kind of art qualification......the talent comes from within, if passionate about something can sit with a good artist and learn tips from them who will supply them for free.......to buy a work of art that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye you do not ask to see a qualification before you buy. ;)

HOLA444

For me, the main reason 50% set off to Uni instead of the oft mentioned "classic" 10% back in the day, is because all of the jobs the other 40% who previously didn't have to go to Uni to find work simply aren't there any more.

In my area the options are:

A) Leave school and find a minimum wage job (if you're lucky). If you're really lucky you might earn a few pounds above the minimum wage by the time you reach your 50s, but chances are you're on or around that minimum wage for life. Okay, there are a few trades where you still can work your way up (these are mainly self-employed mind - I'm thinking sparkies and plumbers), but I know dozens and dozens of people in work where the only promotion options are sideways or the sack - no ladder to climb, only a ladder to fall off as it were.

B) Stay in education. Run up a stupidly large debt. Hope to god you find work after university (if you weren't really bright enough to go in the first place, and you don't have the right degree, revert to A eventually).

I actually think as fuel costs rise over the next 10-20 years we might see a lot of the manufacturing jobs (and the rest) that have been disappearing overseas since the 80s return to our shores, but until then I think we'd probably do well to focus on the cause and not effect here.

Edited by byron78

HOLA445

The same people are still in front of kids, mostly enthusiastic, mostly doing a good enough job, all unable to work out who is actually humming... ;)

[Edit: typos and a rounding error 9,867/18306 is 54 to 2 s.f. not 53. D'oh.]

lol.

Yeah I could do that but in my case it was whistling which I could do with a smile on my face.

HOLA446