House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Internet Breaking Down?

The home network is so slow it's unworkable and sites time out. But slow on the mobile network too. Is it just me?

Don't worry, it's not you. Electrons are slowly getting heavier.

The home network is so slow it's unworkable and sites time out.

Using home wifi? Try a wired connection: if it works much better, you've probably got congestion on the airwaves and could cure it by switching to an uncongested wifi channel.

I have a linksys wireless card in the back of my PC and it gets very flaky in hot weather.

I noticed yesterday on the news that NATS - air traffic control - is having PC problems but they did not say what they are. I assumed it is heat related re the hardware?

Using home wifi? Try a wired connection: if it works much better, you've probably got congestion on the airwaves and could cure it by switching to an uncongested wifi channel.

Yes, that's a good tip. My sister was having endless problems with her wifi, so I used an Android app (Wifi Analyzer) to check and found that she was using the same channel as her neighbour. Switching her router to use a different channel cured the problem completely.

One other thing I notice is that the internet generally seems noticeably slower in the afternoon, presumably when all the Americans wake up and log on.

Yes using a wired connection is always a good idea. Even if it means splashing out on those mains plug adaptors that wizz interweb about via the mains.

Or at least login to your router and perhaps experiment with the channels and move things off defaults, as Virgin Media routers had a tendency to follow the neighbours.

My Virgin Media fibre optic service has a fault at the moment which can't be fixed until the 12th but they have given me a £5 refund.

(I have a Toshiba laptop that simply will NOT connect on channel#4 on my router, it's fine on all others).

Do you have something such a cordless phone in the house? Microwaves can cause a problem but as they are not constantly on it usually is something else like a cordless phone.... or a neighbour's device.

Seems to be getting back to normal. I suspect it was a local thing - my mobile is a completely different supplier and that was painfully slow too. I'm blaming the hordes of backpackers in my part of London overwhelming the networks... ;)

Seems to be getting back to normal. I suspect it was a local thing - my mobile is a completely different supplier and that was painfully slow too. I'm blaming the hordes of backpackers in my part of London overwhelming the networks... ;)

That would happen if some neighbour had switched wifi channel away from yours after experiencing similar congestion problems due to you. Or turned off, or whatever.

Why anyone would use WIFI at home is beyond me, a network cable solves all problems.

Even if I wanted all those cables in my bedroom and living room, I've never encountered one long enough to use on the terrace at the top of the garden.

Why anyone would use WIFI at home is beyond me, a network cable solves all problems.

Yes, about 10 infinitely elastic, invisible and weightless cables that attach and detach themselves automatically would do the job just fine.

Even if I wanted all those cables in my bedroom and living room, I've never encountered one long enough to use on the terrace at the top of the garden.

Maybe you should think about whether you really need to spend every moment of your life on the internet, the bedroom is for sleeping (and sex of course) while the terrace and the garden are for relaxing, gardening, and other outdoor activites.

I guess you also bought a tablet PC so you can be online whilst on the toilet? :rolleyes::lol:

Yes, about 10 infinitely elastic, invisible and weightless cables that attach and detach themselves automatically would do the job just fine.

So you have 10 mobile PCs or tablets or other internet connected gadgets?! I rest my case... :rolleyes:

You need to get a life!

So you have 10 mobile PCs or tablets or other internet connected gadgets?! I rest my case... :rolleyes:

You need to get a life!

We don't all live your solitary existence. Some of us share our houses with other people and also have visitors (or visitors' kids) who sometimes want to connect to the internet. Our wifi devices:

My computer

Son's computer

Spare (old) laptop

My phone

Son's tablet

Nintendo Wii

Sony PS3

My Raspberry Pi + possible additional R-PIs

+ visitors' devices.

The TV can also connect to the internet, but I haven't bothered setting that up. Of course, the fact that all these devices can connect to the internet does not mean that they're in constant use, merely that they can be used at any time without the hassle of wiring them up to the router!

I doubt that my list is unusually long, and I'm sure there are plenty here who can top it.