House Price Crash Forum

Whitby Holiday Home

HOLA441

Pondered if this deserves a topic of its own, apart from my other Whitby Post.

If the story was not so wierd then I would not.

However, as posts are free ...

Advertorial type article in the YP:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/yorkshire-living/leisure-fashion/homes/a-different-point-of-view-1-5829354

Knock yersleves out. Nothing unusual or unexpected.

By the sea blah blah fell in the love blah blah bought blah blah available to rent blah blah.

Then I read the following:

'The house had been sold but I asked the agent to call me if it fell through and he did.”'

'When the original sale fell through, Michele stepped in, buying the property in February 2012.'

'It had been a much-loved second home, owned by the same family for 27 years, and is one of Whitby’s famous turreted houses with a prime spot overlooking the sea with panoramic views to the harbour, Abbey and nearby Sandsend. It also has the advantage of private parking in a town where most drivers have to fight it out for a space on the street.'

Lets see what the sales history says:

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Last sale: £421,000 | Sale date: 20th Feb 2012

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Previous sale: £400,000 | Sale date: 3rd Jan 2012

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Previous sale: £375,000 | Sale date: 30th Jul 2004

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Previous sale: £197,500 | Sale date: 29th Oct 2001

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Previous sale: £160,000 | Sale date: 5th May 2000

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Previous sale: £145,000 | Sale date: 30th Jul 1999

Its possbile that the family has been selling it between themselves. Unlikely though. Think oft he transaction costs - 4 sales within 5 years FFS!

Previous sales fell through? That would be the one in Jan 2012, wheere they flipped it back for an extra £21K. 4 weeks ownership, 21K profit (minus costs) kerching. Hats off to the seller.

Her lists of useful contact includes:

Kristy’s, beauty therapy, Flowergate, Whitby, www.kristys.co.uk

“I didn’t know any builders but I know how resourceful women are, so my first stop was Kristy’s beauty salon on Flowergate, which is one of my favourite shops. I asked her if she knew anyone and she asked her sister, who is a hairdresser. Between them and their clients they came up with a fantastic bunch of tradespeople.”

and:

“I was six weeks without any heat or electricity so that was quite tough. It was freezing so I used to go to Kristy’s salon and soak in the hot tub in her spa to warm up,” she says.'

Hope hubbies got deep pockets.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Ahh Kenyon - that''l explain the shuffling.

Does it have an expensive looking fence (Mr Jane Kenyon joke).

Maybe the work was spent washing down the secret Savile Satanic sex dungeon . . .

http://www.yorkshirecoastalcottages.com/search/property/poets_view

Jesus. She's gone to town on the decor. That will take more than a couple of hours to clean and turnover.

Shes got July + August booked. Then a couple of weeks in the rest of the year.

Does not wash its face..

HOLA445

Yeah fence proby paid for bt the kind scabbie borough tax payers lol. Don't get the 'washing face' ref - grateful if u could explain. Looks like lots of clutter on inside but if u wander past it, it does not look as if anything structural has been done. Cousin is one of the local builders so will check next time I'm home to see if he knows which local builders have been recommended by the hairdresser. Would you trust finding a builder to your hairdresser?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I thought Leed's finest was a scarboro perv?

Oh there was a rumour going round that he was head mason and was using a house in Whitby for perverted Satanic rites.

Check out the real whitby website.

A load of conspiracies, published by a bunch of pains in the ar5e.

But they do have a point about SBC.

HOLA4410

Yeah fence proby paid for bt the kind scabbie borough tax payers lol. Don't get the 'washing face' ref - grateful if u could explain. Looks like lots of clutter on inside but if u wander past it, it does not look as if anything structural has been done. Cousin is one of the local builders so will check next time I'm home to see if he knows which local builders have been recommended by the hairdresser. Would you trust finding a builder to your hairdresser?

'Washing its face' is a term used to describe if a business is making money, or at least covering its costs.

8 weeks booked in summer - assuming the woman is not making making use of the house herself - even @ 1K/week will not pay for the finance never mind maintenance.

Poet's view is a bit different. What about the old favourite of 'Mariner's Cottage', 'Spy Glass Lookout' etc etc etc.

I don't know this particular house but surely its looking out down over the beach to Sandsend. I doubt you'd see the Abbey from the attic window.

HOLA4411

'Washing its face' is a term used to describe if a business is making money, or at least covering its costs.

8 weeks booked in summer - assuming the woman is not making making use of the house herself - even @ 1K/week will not pay for the finance never mind maintenance.

Poet's view is a bit different. What about the old favourite of 'Mariner's Cottage', 'Spy Glass Lookout' etc etc etc.

I don't know this particular house but surely its looking out down over the beach to Sandsend. I doubt you'd see the Abbey from the attic window.

Thanks for the explanation Spyguy. I've often wondered how people make a profit on holiday lets in Whitby. I wouldn't be willing to pay £1000 for a week, especially when more than likely the sea fret will role on in. The view then is meaningless. I suppose I'm spoilt as I can have as many free hols in Whitby staying with family, but still... The only rational explanation I can come up with re the holiday lets is either there are a lot of rich folk looking for a hobby, or mass delusion as even a rudimentary grasp of maths shows the figures don't add up.

I've always liked this house and the one accross the road from it, which is a mirror image. Not really taken much notice of the view, so can't remember if you can see the Abbey. It is on the mulgrave estate, coming into town from where the old outdoor pool was (remember swimming in that with the sea frets rolling in) then following the cliff past the large house now turned into flats. Follow along and it is there before you get to the new monstrosity of town houses that Lordy has built, so right on the edge of the cliff. Not sure about how mortgageable it is, especially if SBC or the enviroment agency decide that protecting the cliff ain't worth the candle any more.

Agree with comments on the real whitby site people, seem a bit holier than thou, but doing stirling work on unearthing corruption in the town...

HOLA4412

Oh there was a rumour going round that he was head mason and was using a house in Whitby for perverted Satanic rites.

Check out the real whitby website.

A load of conspiracies, published by a bunch of pains in the ar5e.

But they do have a point about SBC.

Indeed. Scarborough Borough Council operates like a banana republic...

HOLA4413

I've always liked this house and the one accross the road from it, which is a mirror image. Not really taken much notice of the view, so can't remember if you can see the Abbey. It is on the mulgrave estate, coming into town from where the old outdoor pool was (remember swimming in that with the sea frets rolling in) then following the cliff past the large house now turned into flats. Follow along and it is there before you get to the new monstrosity of town houses that Lordy has built, so right on the edge of the cliff. Not sure about how mortgageable it is, especially if SBC or the enviroment agency decide that protecting the cliff ain't worth the candle any more.

To be frank, the westcliff beyond the whale bones is a bit of mystery to me.

Im actually from a village 4 miles down the coast, which you should guess.

Other than the Chinese (s+s king prawns, boiled rice) and cross country running across bits of it I did not notice much of it - mainly cos I was running fast to make sure I was a good few kids ahead of hcollet, who used to 'volunteer' to help out.

Once you get out of the towns and villages there is a quite bit of feudalism going on.

You'll get it with Lord of Sandsend.

I get it with Strickland and the moors - although the Stricklands seem to be dying out. Bad sperm or something. The Marquess seems to popping a fair few out.

I did wonder if they were a little cash-poor about 10 years ago. They seemed to be offloading the odd property

You've also got that ongoing financial scam that is Skelwith going on.

I've commented about them on this site.

God knows when that is going to hit the buffers.

I would have thought it would have happened by now.

I think they have a large number of captive IFA duping people about of their money for they're guaranteed 8%/year.

Incidently, my uncle lived pretty close the house when he came out of the navy. He got a job a Fylingdales and got his RAF house along Love lane for a couple of years before he moved back to bay.