House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Parking Fines Could Rise By £50 Because Current Charge May Not Be Enough Of A 'deterrent' To Drivers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358628/Parking-fines-rise-50-current-charge-deterrent-drivers.html

Transport secretary Norman Baker opened review into parking fine cap

Outside the capital drivers pay up to £70 for a fine but in London cost if £130

Mr Baker told MPs that charges should be looked as cost of parking so high in some places that fines no longer a 'deterrent'

Might as well put it up to a £1000, then only the uber rich can park where they like.

An optional tax if not done in a sneaky way.....still I am sure the cost of parking prevents people moving, safer and cheaper to stay static, because that is what raising the costs to move is telling people.....want it, got it. ;)

it 'deterrents' me going in town to go to shops to buy stuff.

I have been done twice for parking in town. once I was 5minutes late getting back to the car and the second time I even had ticket on display. I got the second cancelled.

I tend not to use the car parks now. just park on the outskirts and have 10 to 15minute to walk in to town if I really need something.

Recently the neighbour town has opened asda where you can park for three hours and pay quid and get your money back if you buy something. the neighbouring council car park usually has over 500 place free. wonder why.

You used to be able to park in Farnham for free. There were about a dozen spaces near Waitrose which had a ' 2 hour no return within 1 hour' restriction. There were another 20 or so in front of the Art College. Now they've slapped parking fees on them and only about 10 spaces are now free and they are another 100 yards further up the road opposite the primary school. I used to be able to virtually guarantee getting a free space and thus was happy to take a diversion on my way home from work to pick something up in town.

Now I can't park for free I don't bother. Haven't been there in ages. Well done Waverley Borough Council.

You used to be able to park in Farnham for free. There were about a dozen spaces near Waitrose which had a ' 2 hour no return within 1 hour' restriction. There were another 20 or so in front of the Art College. Now they've slapped parking fees on them and only about 10 spaces are now free and they are another 100 yards further up the road opposite the primary school. I used to be able to virtually guarantee getting a free space and thus was happy to take a diversion on my way home from work to pick something up in town.

Now I can't park for free I don't bother. Haven't been there in ages. Well done Waverley Borough Council.

Precisely.

Farnham Town Centre - previously a fabulous little Georgian market town - is dying on it's ar$e, due to the total stupidity of Waverley BC. Too busy swapping little brown envelopes with developers, and operating a revolving door policy from the Planning Department to Arcadia et al, possibly?

These people have absolutely no idea - just short-termist ideas about how to "balance the books" in the next few months. Result? It's now full of EA's, charity shops, and the obligatory "every dying town must-have" - an uber-tacky Sports Direct, in permanent closing down mode.

Nice job. Jeremy Rhyming-Slang, the 'Elf Secretary, must feel right at home in the midst of such incompetence...

B

Precisely.

Farnham Town Centre - previously a fabulous little Georgian market town - is dying on it's ar$e, due to the total stupidity of Waverley BC. Too busy swapping little brown envelopes with developers, and operating a revolving door policy from the Planning Department to Arcadia et al, possibly?

These people have absolutely no idea - just short-termist ideas about how to "balance the books" in the next few months. Result? It's now full of EA's, charity shops, and the obligatory "every dying town must-have" - an uber-tacky Sports Direct, in permanent closing down mode.

Nice job. Jeremy Rhyming-Slang, the 'Elf Secretary, must feel right at home in the midst of such incompetence...

B

more and more research will come out in the coming days on why the govt and the public sector need more of your money.. Unfortunately the tax payer has no one to research on why they should be keeping more of their own

http://

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358628/Parking-fines-rise-50-current-charge-deterrent-drivers.html

Parking fines could rise to £130 because current charge may not be enough of a 'deterrent' to drivers

Transport secretary Norman Baker opened review into parking fine cap

Outside the capital drivers pay up to £70 for a fine but in London cost if £130

Mr Baker told MPs that charges should be looked as cost of parking so high in some places that fines no longer a 'deterrent'

There are just no more places in the towns and cities where they can charge for parking and yet they still have to pay the administrations huge wages and pensions and they never go down.

It's laughable to say that because the hourly parking charges are so high that people would rather avoid them and take the risk of a £70 or £130 fine - along with the hassle that goes with having to pay. Why not reduce the hourly charge instead - can't do that the wages and pensions of the administration and assorted hangers on have to be paid and they never go down.

It sounds more like people have stopped using the areas where they are charged.

The association said: 'There is an urgent need to change these penalty charges since they often fail to act as a deterrent and sometimes encourage non-compliance with traffic management and parking rules.

'This is costly and unfair on council tax payers who will be subsidising parking enforcement and undermines effectiveness of local transport policies.'

"policies" :lol:

Edited by billybong

Tory tax on small businesses, gift to Tesco, AsdaWalmart, Sainsbury etc al

Gidiots.

i) I expect Baker claims any parking fees on expenses

ii) Parking fees keep bays free for blue badge holders

iii) Parking fees help me save as I'm never in the vicinity of shops.

iv) I will also go out of my way to avoid paying any fees to use a National Trust car park. Patches of legacy grass or hard core by the coast should be free.

i) I expect Baker claims any parking fees on expenses

ii) Parking fees keep bays free for blue badge holders

iii) Parking fees help me save as I'm never in the vicinity of shops.

iv) I will also go out of my way to avoid paying any fees to use a National Trust car park. Patches of legacy grass or hard core by the coast should be free.

Nice at Studland today.....parking was free so stayed longer. ;)

Nice at Studland today.....parking was free so stayed longer. ;)

just off to park on a patch of ground that us 'locals' have parked on for longer than I've been around, but which was bequeathed to the NT 2 years ago as part of a larger patch, and which now has a £2.00 honesty box. It's now also patch of chippings which someone must think is better. They also planted a signpost to the beach, publicising a small, secluded, away from the maddening crowd, swimming pool-like cove ideal for a 'wild' swim. Fortunately, the sign post was soon removed ;)

BPA successfully lobbied for access to the DVLA database so that fines can be levied on the vehicle keeper:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/private-parking-penalties/

But it seems this is hugely controversial, the BPA figures (used to support the law change) were wrong by a substantial margin (the estimated court cases saved as a result of making the keeper liable was 36,000 according to the BPA, but in actual fact only 49 cases went to court! Scandalous.)

A good read if you have 10 minutes. Might explain why, after having gotten the foot in the door, they can try and ramp up the fines.

Although Harry's input is welcome here- how have the new arrangements affected you?

Edited by cheeznbreed

I rarely drive into Bristol, or Bath now because parking is rather difficult! Most stuff I can get from EBay or Amazon, then somebody else has to do the driving. :unsure: