House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

A Lot More Cyclists About

Is it the recession; healthy-life seekers or the Bradley Wiggins legacy effect?

Depends where you've seen them TBH?

Its the warm air, makes it easier to cycle and why velodromes are heated to ridiculous temperatures.

Its the warm air, makes it easier to cycle and why velodromes are heated to ridiculous temperatures.

Maybe so...though TBH as a lapsed cycling enthusiast I now dislike going out when it's hot...I'm incapable of riding slowly and I always end up a sweaty mess. Spring and autumn are the ideal cycling months I find.

I'm signed up for a 70 mile ride in just under 4 weeks from now. I really need to fix my puncture and get out training...

Definitely. 10 years back when I was living in East London and cycling to work in the City I'd see no more than one or two other bikes on my daily ride. A few weeks back when I was visiting there were literally hundreds coming past me as I walked down Whitechapel Road in the early evening.

I am cycling up one serious steep hill today in the borders and its meant to touch 30c

Wish me luck. :o

2013-05-16 10.50.44.jpg

post-9648-0-96672600-1373350673_thumb.jpg

I am cycling up one serious steep hill today in the borders and its meant to touch 30c

30 DD would be more impressive.

Definitely. 10 years back when I was living in East London and cycling to work in the City I'd see no more than one or two other bikes on my daily ride. A few weeks back when I was visiting there were literally hundreds coming past me as I walked down Whitechapel Road in the early evening.

Last time I cycled in London I was on a Boris Super Highway from the East End into the City and the number of cyclists on it was amazing.

Once out onto the narrow City roads, a critical mass was achieved with quite often cyclists the dominating form of traffic.

I'm doing steep hills like that on an almost daily basis since it's very hilly around here, but with a 500W rear hub electric motor it's child's play! ;)

I'm doing steep hills like that on an almost daily basis since it's very hilly around here, but with a 500W rear hub electric motor it's child's play! ;)

Soaring like The Eagle..

Could also be people realising it's just as quick (or quicker in some cases) cycling as taking the car through town/City congestion.

It's a shame the road network is not setup for cyclists outside of London as much. Like at all. Cycle lines on the road don't count.

I bike on the pavement and people go like "oh that ILLEGAL". I'm like, I'd rather live. In Sweden I used to bike everywhere when I was a student as that's what everyone did, and it was all setup for it with specific wide pavements with 50% split of cyclist vs walkers.

I used to find it odd when I moved here in 2004 as to why cyclists wore day glow, helmets and everything. Now I do the same. It's just not very safe to cycle in the UK, so I avoid main roads where I can.

On topic: a lot more roof racks on car for sure. Perhaps people coming to the same realization biking on roads isn't safe, and therefore transport bikes farther out.

I commute on a motorbike and there has been a huge increase in cycling in London. Customised single speed bikes are very popular. In my late teens early twenties we were buying cars and customising them, perhaps bicycles are the affordable alternative for todays youth. Progress?

I commute on a motorbike and there has been a huge increase in cycling in London. Customised single speed bikes are very popular. In my late teens early twenties we were buying cars and customising them, perhaps bicycles are the affordable alternative for todays youth. Progress?

I do really hope the youth are getting into the single speed/customised type bikes and the lightweight fast racers. I think if they can get around town quicker than a car it might seem as having a bit more street cred. It's really a win win situation if enough bikes become the norm.

A bit of everything really. I'm not sure people realise how much they can save by cycling in London.

Maybe so...though TBH as a lapsed cycling enthusiast I now dislike going out when it's hot...I'm incapable of riding slowly and I always end up a sweaty mess. Spring and autumn are the ideal cycling months I find.

I did four mountains in the Alps at the weekend. 38C !!! Not sure I'll ever recover.

Could also be people realising it's just as quick (or quicker in some cases) cycling as taking the car through town/City congestion.

Nothing new there.

What I found more surprising when I lived in London was that on some journeys it could not just be much quicker than a car, but also quicker than a motorbike. But that was only London: next place I experienced with both was Bristol/Bath where the combination of hills and the flat-but-open A4 between the cities gave the motorbike the edge, and left cycling-vs-driving too close to call.

[edit to add] That was all back in the 1980s.

A bit of everything really. I'm not sure people realise how much they can save by cycling in London.

I did four mountains in the Alps at the weekend. 38C !!! Not sure I'll ever recover.

Puts my 49 miles around suffolk, 28C, to shame, bet you had better views too!

I'd phrase it as quality-of-life seekers.

Also, stonkingly good weather and more people deciding not to pi55 money away unnecessarily.

Loads of people on bikes round here as well. It's fantastic.

I cycled from London to Basingstoke, and back over a weekend. Cycling is just fantastic. It's a lot more fun in Berlin than London though. It's just so weird having the cars give way to you, even waiting 50 yards ahead for you to pass before they turn.

I wonder if it has anything to do with childhood impressions, As a teenager in the 80s, riding a bike was probably considered uncool, I don't know why really, but probabbly most sport was, except football. So when I started cycling in London in the 90s, I gues the image was of geeks and weirdos. Maybe these days it has a better image among teenagers, and so more adults end up cycling.

The Chinese aspire to own cars, we're riding more bicycles.

#Thatsprogress4u

Indeed that is, long may that continue to increase over here.

Even in the rain I'm so much happier if I don't have to get on the tube.

the northern line was unbelieveable last night. never mind getting on the train; i couldn't get near the platforms for heaving masses.

if you treated animals like that you'd be prosecuted.

ended up getting the bus.

Well Summer is here at last I guess! I have no room for a bicycle in my understair cupboard! I would have to get a unicycle! The money I would save on the front wheel may buy a ukelele? :blink: