House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

First 3D Printer Reaches High Street

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jul/08/maplin-high-street-first-3d-printer

The electronics chain Maplin has become the first high street retailer to sell 3D printers to consumers.

The £700 machine allows users to print three-dimensional objects and has been hailed as the future of manufacturing.

To print something simple such as a new mobile phone case can take 30 minutes, while something more complicated such as a piece of jewellery could take several hours.

Last week at Paris fashion week for haute couture, the Dutch designer Iris van Herpen used the technology to create intricate shoes for the catwalk.

A-model-presents-a-creati-008.jpg

Not too sure I want a pair, but is a global manufacturing revolution about to start which is going to destroy much of the globes manufacturing base? Want a pair of Nike here's the print patten away you go.

I saw that one of Apple's first computers was auctioned recently for some astronomic price. Maybe this machine will be a Cash In The Attic centrepiece in a few decades time?

It's possible, I can see a day when most homes have a future version of this, and instead of buying many of the smaller components of daily life, you just "print" one.

Its not quite 'high street', it comes from a DIY electronics store and according to the press will require 10 hours to assemble.

That said, I'll definitely be getting one. Maybe not that one, but one.

It'll beat doing cutting and sticking with the kids on a rainy sunday afternoon.

Its not quite 'high street', it comes from a DIY electronics store and according to the press will require 10 hours to assemble.

That said, I'll definitely be getting one. Maybe not that one, but one.

It'll beat doing cutting and sticking with the kids on a rainy sunday afternoon.

Unless I can start 3D printing yummy mummys, it sure as hell doesn't beat rainy Sunday afternoons cutting and sticking with the kids at a gallery.

So I'm out.

Maybe it's time to start an HPC RepRap project.

I am minded to go with the top-end RepRap. As a group. costs could be kept low by building one and using it to make others (which is the USP of RepRap).

Not sure if I have the time and funds right now but I shall give it some thought.

It's attraction for me is making useful good-quality mechanical odds and sods for all daft projects I tend to embark on.

I fnd the ideas of both 3D printing, and self-replicating machines, fascinating (if somewhat ominous, if anyone recalls my posts about self-replicating military drones).

Unless I can start 3D printing yummy mummys, it sure as hell doesn't beat rainy Sunday afternoons cutting and sticking with the kids at a gallery.

So I'm out.

Oh, that's a good tip.

Unfortunately my daughter is now far too old for that.

Can I borrow one of your kids?

Is it made by Amstrad?!

When someone mentions 3d Printers, I only see white elephants. Will be interesting to see how this turns out, but in my opinion they'll get regulated into history.

Then everyone will moan about their regulation, forgetting about the idiots making guns and stuff, spoiling it for everyone else. Besides, it isn't as if we already have an over supply of goods or anything!?!

Edited by PopGun

My 4D printer arrived two days before I ordered it tomorrow.

Should get one before they're made illegal.

I just feel really paranoid after watching V for Vendetta. How have I missed this most excellent film?

Maybe it's time to start an HPC RepRap project.

I am minded to go with the top-end RepRap. As a group. costs could be kept low by building one and using it to make others (which is the USP of RepRap).

Not sure if I have the time and funds right now but I shall give it some thought.

It's attraction for me is making useful good-quality mechanical odds and sods for all daft projects I tend to embark on.

I fnd the ideas of both 3D printing, and self-replicating machines, fascinating (if somewhat ominous, if anyone recalls my posts about self-replicating military drones).

There was some scientist on Radio 5 Live yesterday afternoon promoting his new book on matter/materials who mentioned that the military have adopted 3D printers already for front-line use.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were originally developed for nuclear submarines?

There was some scientist on Radio 5 Live yesterday afternoon promoting his new book on matter/materials who mentioned that the military have adopted 3D printers already for front-line use.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were originally developed for nuclear submarines?

In other news, Submarine has engineering workshop with CNC equipment installed.

Almost forgot about Maplins

How the hell are they still in business?

Because they have very cleverly rounded up a bunch of related 2nd/3rd tier retailing niches into one shop. I've got a lot of respect for whoever is calling the shots on that.

Because they have very cleverly rounded up a bunch of related 2nd/3rd tier retailing niches into one shop. I've got a lot of respect for whoever is calling the shots on that.

+1

I am completely unconvinced that this will revolutionise anything for most people.

Most people can barely cook a meal in our modern society, so the idea that they will strip down their lawnmower, identify the crack in the carburretor housing, locate a suitable CAD file on the web for the cheap Chinese injection moulding, print it, then refit it to the lawnmower seems entirely unlikely to me.

There will be some techno-savvy people that will use the technology, but even then, not a lot.

The physical properties of printed items in terms of strenght don't match normal manufacturing processes.

We have an all singing and dancing 3D printer where I work, and we use it for rapid prototypes etc., it's very useful for what we do, but I don't think a single 'homer' job has been put through due to the material properties.

We can print you a brilliant X-Wing Fighter though!

I am completely unconvinced that this will revolutionise anything for most people.

Most people can barely cook a meal in our modern society, so the idea that they will strip down their lawnmower, identify the crack in the carburretor housing, locate a suitable CAD file on the web for the cheap Chinese injection moulding, print it, then refit it to the lawnmower seems entirely unlikely to me.

There will be some techno-savvy people that will use the technology, but even then, not a lot.

The physical properties of printed items in terms of strenght don't match normal manufacturing processes.

We have an all singing and dancing 3D printer where I work, and we use it for rapid prototypes etc., it's very useful for what we do, but I don't think a single 'homer' job has been put through due to the material properties.

We can print you a brilliant X-Wing Fighter though!

The public kinda got to grip with computers though, and connecting to the internet, with modems and learning "windoze" decidedly geeky things to do and soon developed an unnerving ability to find free stuff to download on the internet, albeit, mp3's, software and movies.

So I wouldn't rule out the general public's interest in making "free" stuff either.

"free"

It won't be though. With mp3s, ebooks etc, you can get exactly the same product that you have the option of paying to download legally. All it costs is the price of your internet connection and the energy required to run the PC/network.

With a 3D printer you have to pay for the printing materials as well, which may well cost more than an OEM part through more conventional retail channels. Surely costs will drop, but until they do 3d printing looks to be more suitable for the hobbyist, or for small businesses making prototypes or very short runs. How many people made their own books from downloaded plans (i.e. printed/bound from an ebook download)? Only with the popularisation of the e-reader, did ebook downloads go mainstream.