House Price Crash Forum

Sky News And Channel 4 News Tonight

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Yes, just watching it too - apparently it's all the wonderful Andy Murray effect, confidence is UP, mortgages are UP, house prices are UP - the economy is going to grow by 1% ...

... are these people totally disconnected from reality? I don't see any of this in the 'real' world

HOLA444

Yes, just watching it too - apparently it's all the wonderful Andy Murray effect, confidence is UP, mortgages are UP, house prices are UP - the economy is going to grow by 1% ...

... are these people totally disconnected from reality? I don't see any of this in the 'real' world

Yep, totally disconnected. The Channel 4 reporter did briefly mention, at one point, that perhaps things were different up north - i.e. anywhere outside of the M25.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

No one expected Murray to win? And are people going to now buy Murray dolls?

The wife and I have just suffered a major setback due to my wife's nurse training and my having a stroke. Has cost us 15k per year.

Maybe it's just me...

As frustrating as that must be, £15k is small beer in the circumstances. I hope the recovery is proceeding swiftly.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss talk of a 'recovery'.

I do sense that the mood generally has turned and with the central banks having pumped goodness-knows-how-much printed money into the system and repressed interest rates for over five years now, we may be about to have a false dawn of 'prosperity' ... before the thing starts to run away down the hill towards an almighty pile-up at the bottom... Still, that leaves a potentially long period of opportunity to get yourself set up.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Rising house prices ?

homepage.png

:lol::lol::lol:

It's quite possible that Osborne will be going into the 2015 election with a Q1 Nationwide HPI report showing decade-long nominal losses on property prices in many parts of the UK, which ought to add a bit of spice to the start of an election campaign. Still, you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar, eh?

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA4416

Poor high street sales in June were, yet again, blamed on the weather. Fact is, people are still not spending money in the shops with any confidence. Disposable income is still falling and wages remain stagnant. A stupid tennis match changes none of this reality.

HOLA4417

Both have talked endlessly about the recovery and rising house prices and how it is all good for us all.

And if you watch North Korea Evening News it is full of stories about how people think the nuclear weapons program is a sure sign of national success, alongside heart warming tales of Kim Jong Un's sporting prowess. It's not what's true that matters. It's what they can be induced to believe.

HOLA4418

Both have talked endlessly about the recovery and rising house prices and how it is all good for us all.

All the news I've seen has been endless Andy Murray, Andy Murray, Andy Murray, Andy Murray.... had to switch off. Went to water the garden instead.

HOLA4419

All the news I've seen has been endless Andy Murray, Andy Murray, Andy Murray, Andy Murray.... had to switch off. Went to water the garden instead.

Nauseating, shades of 1966. That's why I always hope that Johnny Foreigner wins, no mater what the game.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

And if you watch North Korea Evening News it is full of stories about how people think the nuclear weapons program is a sure sign of national success, alongside heart warming tales of Kim Jong Un's sporting prowess. It's not what's true that matters. It's what they can be induced to believe.

saddam hussein didn't have nuclear weapons he died colonel gaddafi didn't have nuclear weapons he died also.

HOLA4422

I think this is true.

It is clasic depression cycle. People think they're coming out of it - mainly due to elapsed time but also because of extraordinary policy thqat makes some people better off.

History tells us that it just doesn't last. They think they're going to tighten policy and then, when they do, it all turns to sh*t.

However, as Sour Mash says, the timescales are such that there is money to be made. Just don't lose your liquidity and your ability to react.

Sounds a bit like trying to get the last 10% out of the market. I think I'll pass on that one.

HOLA4423

I think this is true.

It is clasic depression cycle. People think they're coming out of it - mainly due to elapsed time but also because of extraordinary policy thqat makes some people better off.

History tells us that it just doesn't last. They think they're going to tighten policy and then, when they do, it all turns to sh*t.

However, as Sour Mash says, the timescales are such that there is money to be made. Just don't lose your liquidity and your ability to react.

Or just some more time to build up liquidity and prepare for the worst... When I hear news like this my first instinct is to batten down the hatches...

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Poor high street sales in June were, yet again, blamed on the weather. Fact is, people are still not spending money in the shops with any confidence. Disposable income is still falling and wages remain stagnant. A stupid tennis match changes none of this reality.

Shoppers stayed in to watch Wimbledon on the telly.