House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Adblock Paid To Not Block Ads?

From the market ticker guy..

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=222519

Google has reportedly paid the makers of Adblock Plus, the single most popular browser extension on Chrome and Firefox, to look the other way when it comes to its web advertisements. According to the German news site Horizont, Google and other unnamed companies are paying to be included on a "whitelist" that prevents their pop-ups, banners, and display ads from being blocked by the free service.

Got to be plenty of mileage in this killer business strategy.

Perhaps we need a blocker for adblock, what other dodgy stuff are they up to?

The thing people forget is that if websites cant make a few pennies from adverts (and we are talking something like 0.1p per user) then they will just look to other ways of making money - tracking your activity and selling demographic data about you, forcing registrations, paid content/advertorials - most of the alternatives are far worse than a few adverts.

It's a nice way to get a big pay day. Build up a big client base who use your product to block ads and then the advertisers will offer you big money to unblock their ads.

The big advertisers (Google and Bing) will offer big money, but any small fry new entrants to the advertising market won't get a look-in.

There is an option in the preferences to "allow some unintrusive advertising".

Untick it if you don't want to see them.

The last time I looked, there was a "protest" version of adblock available which is the same plugin, but with this setting as default.

I don't get what is achieved by trying to get around AdBlock. You're just pissing off people who have deliberately chosen to avoid adverts and who are therefore very unlikely to react positively to seeing one. The "get paid 0.01p per ad shown" model is rather crude; the advertiser isn't really going to want to waste bandwidth serving ads to people who won't respond after all, and if 50% use AdBlock then no-one has lost if they pay 0.02p instead to the people who don't use it.

As for other ways of annoying people, they're avoidable and / or unreliable.

Perhaps we need a blocker for adblock, what other dodgy stuff are they up to?

Does it matter? When you install adblock you choose which rules you want to use and you can add your own custom rules, I add new rules to my adblock setup all the time when I come across new tracking links that aren't blocked yet.

Purely relying on the default rules is very lazy, you need to use adblock plus as a tool that you actively customise according to your own privacy preferences.

Just click on "Open blockable items" and select additional items you want to block when you come across pages with ads.

---

From the market ticker guy.

What you quote doesn't make sense. The adblock software and any blocklists you may choose to use with it are separate, and you have a choice of block lists from different sources, or you can maintain your own. For my part I use it to block anything that moves on my screen (or, rarely, tries to make a noise) as well as crap that serves no purpose other than tracking a user, but I don't object to unobtrusive ads.

Even if it made sense, it would be suicide for the product. Just as it would be suicide for google to let its search results be compromised, whether by paying advertisers or by charlatan "SEO" spammers (paid ads get their place separate from the real search results).

There is an option in the preferences to "allow some unintrusive advertising".

Untick it if you don't want to see them.

Thanks for this tip!

What you quote doesn't make sense. The adblock software and any blocklists you may choose to use with it are separate, and you have a choice of block lists from different sources, or you can maintain your own. For my part I use it to block anything that moves on my screen (or, rarely, tries to make a noise) as well as crap that serves no purpose other than tracking a user, but I don't object to unobtrusive ads.

Even if it made sense, it would be suicide for the product. Just as it would be suicide for google to let its search results be compromised, whether by paying advertisers or by charlatan "SEO" spammers (paid ads get their place separate from the real search results).

Option on chrome adblock:

'I like the text ads on Google search results; show me those.'