House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Pioneering Idea To Improve Sheffield’S Student Housing Stock

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/pioneering-idea-to-improve-sheffield-s-student-housing-stock-1-5834816

Two Sheffield friends are going into the property game - with the aim of providing perfect student digs.

University of Sheffield students Jamie Risner, 22, and Rosie Evered, 25, hope to set up one of the UK’s first student housing co-operatives.

The co-op will be fully owned and run by students, with the objective of providing cheaper and better accommodation than private landlords.

The pair are putting together grant funding of around £50,000 - including £10,000 of their own savings - to buy their first property in Upperthorpe.

“We want to charge rents on average £5 a week cheaper than commercial ones - but longer term they could be much cheaper than that,” Jamie said. “We think a co-op is needed because a lot of student houses are really poorly maintained - damp and mouldy and rarely improved.

How well do these coop's work in other countries. Clearly they need to be stopped if the aim is to reduce rents, what's going to happen to imputed rents in ONS data if we have terrorists like this wanting to undermine the glorious GDP figure...

http://www.thestar.c...stock-1-5834816

How well do these coop's work in other countries. Clearly they need to be stopped if the aim is to reduce rents, what's going to happen to imputed rents in ONS data if we have terrorists like this wanting to undermine the glorious GDP figure...

Think they will have a hard time competing with the big time professional student landlords, if my local town is anything to go by.

They would be better setting up their own student run letting agency IMO, and cut out the sharks.

Edited by Secure Tenant

Hello!

Found this forum on a google search, thought I'd pitch my thoughts in. I'm a third of this co-op plan in Sheffield and excited to get it off the ground.

@interestrateripoff : There are loads of great examples of housing co-ops working really well as a way of providing cheap, good quality housing with a community feel. The best example of student co-op housing is in the US where there are a huge number of co-ops. They've been successfully running since the 1920's and provide rent at up to half commercial student rents.

@Secure Tenant : We think a student run letting agency would quickly become just another lettings agency, whereas our plan involves taking control of our own housing permanently. I think it'll be easy to compete with the 'professionals' because the proffessionals are so shit! Their houses are expensive and poorly maintained...

@scrappycocco: All our financial analysis suggests that we can not only compete, but thrive.

@Executive Sadman: I don't think there's an incredible lack of supply in Sheffield, is anything there's a serious lack of demand. We can create student housing in areas slightly further afield due to our unique appeal. Eventually we may construct new build but we're far too small for now to have any impact on the property prices.