House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Centrepoint Charity Warns Of Affordable Housing 'crisis'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23222287

A shortage of affordable housing in England will hit "crisis" point by 2021 unless action is taken, a report for a youth homelessness charity suggests.

Centrepoint said 934,388 more properties at sub-market rents would be needed in England.

The University of Cambridge study looked at council, housing association and private rented sector units accessible with housing benefit.

The government says the building of new affordable homes is accelerating.

Centrepoint says the largest shortfall will be in London, with about 186,333 affordable homes needed, followed by the East Midlands with 132,587 and Yorkshire and Humber with 128,478.

The report says more homes should be built in the private and rented sector and better use made of existing stock.

So rents are too high then?

Oh we all know the solution is to build council homes, the problem is that the ruling landlord class need to squeeze as much blood from the stone as it can, only a public uprising of epic proportions will see any change in the UK.

No MP will ever risk the snout not being firmly in the trough by making unpopular (with the private land owners, ie their peers and colleagues) rulings about producing adequate and affordable accommodation for the people.

I suppose not being able to afford to live on the land of your grandfathers due to the greed of the "landowners" will only really ever end one way...they should read history books for the outcome of that little dilemma. :rolleyes:

Centrepoint said 934,388 more properties at sub-market rents would be needed in England.

Borrow c £100bn to build 1million council homes at a negative real rate (i.e now)

Then QE it if necc.

Complete no-brainer.

Borrow c £100bn to build 1million council homes at a negative real rate (i.e now)

Then QE it if necc.

Complete no-brainer.

Thats assuming what, 100k to build each house ? thats way too high - You can easily build for 25k a unit at scale, even adding another 5k per unit infrastructure costs you would be able to build a million houses for £30bn assuming you used land already gov owned (or could requisition).

Subsidies to rent and subsidies to buy. I really can't think why the "free market" is so dysfunctional with regard to housing as to why the market rent/price is "unaffordable" to almost half the population.

Be nice to hear the "right wing" free market think tanks on this. I guess more subsidies to rentiers is the answer so they can monopolise even more of the land, and "frustrate" the planning process under various bogus green/sustainable agenda's.

Thats the British way, for over a thousand years.

Edited by Secure Tenant

Then QE it if necc.

Complete no-brainer.

Come on we all know 'there's no easy answer'

If the govt sold planning permission, they might even be able to make a profit, and reduce the deficit.

If the govt sold planning permission, they might even be able to make a profit, and reduce the deficit.

I thought they did! :lol::lol:

Subsidies to rent and subsidies to buy. I really can't think why the "free market" is so dysfunctional with regard to housing as to why the market rent/price is "unaffordable" to almost half the population.

Be nice to hear the "right wing" free market think tanks on this. I guess more subsidies to rentiers is the answer so they can monopolise even more of the land, and "frustrate" the planning process under various bogus green/sustainable agenda's.

Thats the British way, for over a thousand years.

Ye gods, it's pretty obvious what the right wing argument is. There is no free market in the most regulated market of all. Abolish the 1948 planning act, let the banksters go bust. Problem would've been solved by now if they did that in 2008.

Who would go nuts if that planning act was repealed? The answer to that question is proof of the veracity of my suggestion ;)

Then QE it if necc.

Complete no-brainer.

What's the main reason they don't do this? RBS on the hook for pumped up house prices and this scheme above would ease pressure on rising prices or what?