House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Football Referee Decapitated By Spectators After Stabbing Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23215676

Football spectators in northern Brazil decapitated a referee after he fatally stabbed a player for refusing to leave the pitch, officials say.

An angry mob stormed the field during the amateur game in the state of Maranhao and stoned Otavio da Silva to death before severing his head.

Police said the murder was in retaliation for Mr Silva stabbing player Josenir dos Santos.

One man has been arrested over the killing and investigations continue.

The incident took place on 30 June in the remote town of Pio XII, but news of the event has been slow to emerge.

I guess it says something about Brazil, or at least this part of Brazil, that a football referee considers a knife to be an essential part of his kit when refereeing a match.

I guess it says something about Brazil, or at least this part of Brazil, that a football referee considers a knife to be an essential part of his kit when refereeing a match.

There may be a market opening here for a combined knife/whistle...

You would think so. But...

Two South American nations supposedly went to war a couple of decades ago as a result of a dispute over a football match.

Edit: Not quite that simple, as it turns out.

I see where your coming from but theres underlying issues in that. This was a ref who had a knife on him during a football game and used it, then a pile of spectators smashed the ref to **** and chopped his head off. I wonder if they used it in a game of Wembley after?

Sometimes a red card just isn't enough.

Perhaps FIFA should consider a pilot for the World Cup. Never mind all that goal line technology b*llocks.

Sometimes a red card just isn't enough.

Perhaps FIFA should consider a pilot for the World Cup. Never mind all that goal line technology b*llocks.

There is a study somewhere how football is about THE worst game for creating violent urges in teh supporters. Something to do with the low scoreline, long time between scores, allows frustration to boil up and up until it explodes.

That's why I would ban football if I was Emporer. That, or make the goals twice as wide and drop the player numbers to 9.

There is a study somewhere how football is about THE worst game for creating violent urges in teh supporters. Something to do with the low scoreline, long time between scores, allows frustration to boil up and up until it explodes.

That's why I would ban football if I was Emporer. That, or make the goals twice as wide and drop the player numbers to 9.

Yes, I've always thought the same. Rugby is score score score so there is no build up of tension. I remember being mentally angry one time when we played Blackpool (this was over 15 years ago but I remember it well) as they were filthy and the referee either wasn't seeing it or letting it go, we were the better side but were being continually blocked and fouled. They somehow bundled a ball in right at the end in another dirty goalmouth incident and won. It was the angriest crowd I remember and it annoys me now just thinking about it.

There are many fun games as well of course, played well and enjoyable to watch. You don't need to win or even for there to be any goals.

I blame Sam Allardyce

Ironic really that Brazil appeared to be the ideal venue for 2014 and we get decapitations, riots and anti-World Cup rallies.

Meanwhile, the UK appeared to be a bum choice for the Olympics....I thought so too. But we came up with the goods.

The UK looked like shite and we came out smelling of roses whilst Brazil flattered to deceive.

Perhaps FIFA are regretting their belittling of the UK now.

I think they're too busy spending their bungs from Qatar.

Yep I seem to be getting my 2014s and 2018s mixed. I don't suppose we were even in the running for 2014. Still up yours FIFA, poetic justice in some ways.

A crazy story, is there lots of violence towards refs in local football in Brazil where carrying a knife is seen as essential?

The world cup looks like it's going to be interesting for all the wrong reasons.

Perhaps Bill Shankly was right after all.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".

Perhaps Bill Shankly was right after all.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".

And while we're at it, my American World-League Ohio Scientific Superboard would p*** on your Limey UK101.