House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Count Arthur Strong Coming To The Telly - Monday

This is a long-term radio favourite of mine and is transferring to telly on Monday. Worth a try.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bq9h2

I caveat this with:

i) I loved Little Britain on the radio; its TV version was crude, crass and unfunny

ii) I attended, for my sins, Count Arthur's live show "The Man Behind the Slime" (sic). It was awful, stop start, no flow, no atmosphere.

iii) It has been BBCed-up. The radio series has a very small cast of characters of which the most exotic is Malcolm from Liverpool, all basically foils to the Count. The TV show includes two Turks and a Pole, hello diverse BBC.

So.... if it's awful don't blame me. As with the live show I will stick it out to the end of the series.

If you're quick you can catch the last radio show in the series, I think you have 'til 9am tomo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xhhvm

This is a long-term radio favourite of mine and is transferring to telly on Monday. Worth a try.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bq9h2

I caveat this with:

i) I loved Little Britain on the radio; its TV version was crude, crass and unfunny

ii) I attended, for my sins, Count Arthur's live show "The Man Behind the Slime" (sic). It was awful, stop start, no flow, no atmosphere.

iii) It has been BBCed-up. The radio series has a very small cast of characters of which the most exotic is Malcolm from Liverpool, all basically foils to the Count. The TV show includes two Turks and a Pole, hello diverse BBC.

So.... if it's awful don't blame me. As with the live show I will stick it out to the end of the series.

If you're quick you can catch the last radio show in the series, I think you have 'til 9am tomo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xhhvm

Can't stand it, along with most of R4's comedy at the moment. I'm in a minority, clearly.

Can't stand it, along with most of R4's comedy at the moment. I'm in a minority, clearly.

There's that one with two people sharing a house...awful. 'Jokes' you can see coming a mile off, mostly.

there was one episode I heard, the first Id heard, about the Count wanting to take back a faulty toaster.

Looked forward to hearing the next, but once heard, the joke is lost.

Radio 4 comedy is probably the worst I have ever known it since I started listening regularly in the late 90s. There must be a reason for it, maybe just one person being hired in a senior commissioning position whose tastes are not aligned with mine.

Combination of doing too many series of initially good stuff, e.g. Fags, Mags and Bags is a shadow of its former self last time I listened.

Where are the John Shuttleworths of today?

I thought "Weak at the Top" was a short-running good 'un too.

I want Kenneth Horne, and Humphey Littleton back! :blink:

There's a sketch the Count does with his siekick Terry Titter, where they are sat opposite one another.

T Titter is playing the counts reflection in a non existent mirror. And he doesn't keep up very well.

Well,it made me laugh.

The Count has been around for years, and is a bit hit and miss, but worth his place.

There's a sketch the Count does with his siekick Terry Titter, where they are sat opposite one another.

T Titter is playing the counts reflection in a non existent mirror. And he doesn't keep up very well.

Well,it made me laugh.

The Count has been around for years, and is a bit hit and miss, but worth his place.

The Count reminds me of a more acerbic Harry Worth.

The Count reminds me of a more acerbic Harry Worth.

You know thats exactly what I thought!

I am getting so old everything is coming round again.

And what was Tanner from James Bond doing in a crap sitcom?

Must admit to not being a particular fan of the count- I much prefer Ed Reardon's Week. Been neglecting Radio 4 recently TBH- since I ditched commuting by car in favour of my scooter I've been saving loads of time and fuel, but missing R4. Also I've been lazy and not lifted weights for a while- a 90 minute lifting session can get in plenty; the ideal time to start is 5.30, so you catch the more amusing half of PM, the six o'clock news, and then whatever comedy program follows it :) .

I love the Count!

Thank you very much Frank. Had wondered were he got to.

Remember years ago after I had a bad accident and was stuck in bed and at home by myself. Count Arthur Strong would come onto Radio 4 and I used to lie there laughing out loud.