House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wherebee

Burning One's Own Dvds Onto A Hard Drive

So - is it legal to take my stack of DVDs and burn them onto a pen drive so I can watch them when travelling? And if so, anyone know any legit third parties that will do it for a fee?

I don't know if things have improved, but ripping DVDs was always a royal pain in the ass. So much so that I just downloaded ripped versions instead of doing it myself. DVDShrink was the prog I used back then. Audio going out of sync was the usual issue.

I don't know if things have improved, but ripping DVDs was always a royal pain in the ass.

In these days of hard discs having capacity for many DVDs, could you not just mount a DVD and use

dd if=/dev/dvd-device of=dvdimage.iso

?

Yeah the simple way if you have a load of storage is to just make a full image of the disc. If you want to extract the video/audio and encode to a different file format things get more complicated.

I use/used Handbrake for this. It's free and available for Mac, Windows and Linux. Converted to mp4s.

http://handbrake.fr

However, it does take a long time and is a bit of a hassle if you want to rip loads of discs in one go.

As someone said, if you own the disc anyway just leaving a torrent client going overnight might be less fiddly.

I use/used Handbrake for this. It's free and available for Mac, Windows and Linux. Converted to mp4s.

However, it does take a long time and is a bit of a hassle if you want to rip loads of discs in one go.

As someone said, if you own the disc anyway just leaving a torrent client going overnight might be less fiddly.

yeah, but I want to stay legal, so torrenting is out

Yes handbrake will usually do it or on Linux/FreeBSD AcidRip

On *nix you will need libdvdcss installed.

However some DVD's employ a few tricks to make ripping impossible, and I found DVDFab sorted those out.

I have used a program called 1 Click DVD Copy Pro which does what you want. You can burn disc to disc, or disc to hard drive (and then later to disc if you want) and if you have two DVD drives you can write from one to the other.

It takes ages. In particular, if you want to backup to another disc, and you don't have a Dual Layer drive and/or can't be bothered to fork out for dual layer discs (I have the dual layer drive but have never paid for the discs as they're quite expensive) then the software seems to sample every single frame and compress it so it can easily take an hour or so if compression is required even if you select the options to exclude the menus and bonus features.

To get it to read discs which have copy protection you'll need to take one extra step which I shall not elaborate on here, but involves installing a piece of kit on your PC which you can get free and the instructions with the software will tell you what to do.