House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Green Lasers

Do they have any purpose? At first they seemed to be mainly trying to shine them at the international tv cameras, but now they're all over the place. Do they use them to try to dazzle their opponents? Or is it just kids mucking about?

For pointing at blackboards and projector screens etc. but like Rizla, if they only relied on legal use of their products, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Do they have any purpose? At first they seemed to be mainly trying to shine them at the international tv cameras, but now they're all over the place. Do they use them to try to dazzle their opponents? Or is it just kids mucking about?

Ones on the web seem to be 1mW. I guess they are probably class 2.

Personally I dont see the need for these to be sold to the general public. They constitute a hazard and provocation and could cause eye damage.

There probably needs to be a sensible standard set for pointers rather than the fairly woolly stuff that exists at the moment. My guess is it will happen sooner or later as higher power and cheaper systems become available.

Edit class 2 is the limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_pointer

The article I read said they were celebrating with them, lighting up the army helicopters who were deposing the muslim brotherhood and lighting up walls, like Italian football fans set off flares.

You should get a class IV 25kW CO2 laser and punch holes in half inches of steel! :huh:

Seem safer than Chinese lanterns!

Ah, Chinese lanterns - The most dangerous fun you can have for a pound.

I drunkenly tried to launch a few of these last New Year's Eve - and totally neglected to factor in just how drunk I was, how easy lighter-petrol ignites, and the large telegraph-pole and associated wires adjacent to the house.

The lanterns had been bought a good 11 months earlier in Poundland, or some other cheapo shop, and when I tried to light them, whatever fuel they had been dipped in to aid combustion had totally evaporated.

Being the owner of a Zippo lighter, I realised that the can of lighter-petrol in the cupboard might be the answer to my problem - and splashed it all over the lanterns like Henry Cooper would a bottle of Brut over Kevin Keegan.

The first one I launched spontaneously combusted seconds into it's flight like some bizarre hot-air based tribute to the Challenger space-shuttle.

The second one faired a bit better - until it tangled itself on next-door's phone wires and melted all the insulation.

The third and final launch - final due mainly to the threat of being castrated by a furious Mrs XYY if I even thought about lighting-up another one - swept round the front garden gracefully before landing on, and ultimately setting fire to, my mother-in-law.

Thankfully no real harm was done due to the fact that all the drink we'd consumed meant that we forgot to put on our crash-helmets and hi-vis jackets - and therefore none of us suffered a painful death due to the ingress of burning molten plastic that would have otherwise ensued.

So all's well that ends well, eh...?

True story.

XYY

Ah, Chinese lanterns - The most dangerous fun you can have for a pound.

I drunkenly tried to launch a few of these last New Year's Eve - and totally neglected to factor in just how drunk I was, how easy lighter-petrol ignites, and the large telegraph-pole and associated wires adjacent to the house.

The lanterns had been bought a good 11 months earlier in Poundland, or some other cheapo shop, and when I tried to light them, whatever fuel they had been dipped in to aid combustion had totally evaporated.

Being the owner of a Zippo lighter, I realised that the can of lighter-petrol in the cupboard might be the answer to my problem - and splashed it all over the lanterns like Henry Cooper would a bottle of Brut over Kevin Keegan.

The first one I launched spontaneously combusted seconds into it's flight like some bizarre hot-air based tribute to the Challenger space-shuttle.

The second one faired a bit better - until it tangled itself on next-door's phone wires and melted all the insulation.

The third and final launch - final due mainly to the threat of being castrated by a furious Mrs XYY if I even thought about lighting-up another one - swept round the front garden gracefully before landing on, and ultimately setting fire to, my mother-in-law.

Thankfully no real harm was done due to the fact that all the drink we'd consumed meant that we forgot to put on our crash-helmets and hi-vis jackets - and therefore none of us suffered a painful death due to the ingress of burning molten plastic that would have otherwise ensued.

So all's well that ends well, eh...?

True story.

XYY

I thought your finger control was unparrallelled come wind, rain, snow, or beer?