House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Single Dvd-I Input On Monitor

I thought this would be a simply case of googling DVD-I splitter, but apparently not, so can anyone here help me?

I have an old (but good) Dell monitor, which has only one DVD-I input, and two computers both with DVD-I outputs that I want to run through the same monitor (previously the second computer was VGA so I just had to switch over the input source on the monitor settings).

I remember an input "Y splitter" for a TV I had years ago, which had one connection to the TV, and two connections to various input devices, and a switch on the splitter for the user to determine what input source they wanted to use.

Is there no such thing to allow dual DVD-I inputs into a single monitor?

You can buy DVI KVMs with multiple inputs and a single output, but I haven't had much luck with ours; one PC works fine, the other seems unable to determine the right graphics mode to use.

You can buy DVI KVMs with multiple inputs and a single output, but I haven't had much luck with ours; one PC works fine, the other seems unable to determine the right graphics mode to use.

Thanks - I used a DVI/VGA KVM years ago and it was horrible - if they're any better now it might be an option as I use the same peripherals as well I currently just use a USB hub and switch the input into that.

I have this one and it works great despite being the cheapest KVM switch with 4 DVI ports, not sure if you can get it in the UK though:

http://shop.roline.com/value_kvm_switch_1_user_4_pcs_dvi_usb_audio/14.99.3245-5.html

The only slight flaw is that the audio cables pick up some interference from the DVI and/or USB cables, but that's not a problem for me as I don't use it for audio switching.

I have this one and it works great despite being the cheapest KVM switch with 4 DVI ports, not sure if you can get it in the UK though:

http://shop.roline.com/value_kvm_switch_1_user_4_pcs_dvi_usb_audio/14.99.3245-5.html

The only slight flaw is that the audio cables pick up some interference from the DVI and/or USB cables, but that's not a problem for me as I don't use it for audio switching.

Thanks for the suggestion - I can't see it in any UK stores, although annoyingly it's almost certainly here, just under a different brand.

If I go down the KVM route, one thing I need to be sure of is the visual quality, as one of the computers is used purely for gaming on a fairly high spec graphics car (arguably I should buy a new monitor with an HDMI input for it but I don't really have the space). The reason I mention this is that my last bad experience with a KVM was largely down to dreadful graphics performance. Anyone using a KVM for a gaming rig?

As for the audio, like you I have separate audio for each, so not a problem for me either.

Thanks for the suggestion - I can't see it in any UK stores, although annoyingly it's almost certainly here, just under a different brand.

That's very likely.
If I go down the KVM route, one thing I need to be sure of is the visual quality

As long as you stick to a digital (DVI-D) signal visual quality is a non-issue, visual quality only becomes an issue if you use analog VGA signals over the DVI-I cable.

Digital DVI-D transmission doesn't deteriorate, it either works or it doesn't and I have never seen it not working, even cheap £3 DVI cables are fine. The KVM I mentioned comes with a full set of cables for 4 PCs included so you don't need to buy any extra cables.

Look, if it is unavailable in your UK stores, you can order it from "abroad", wherever that is! :blink: