House Price Crash Forum
marylebone

Landlord Doesn't Give References

Me and my boyfriend are living in a shared accommodation in London for the past 6 months and we're now finally both working full-time and wanting to move into our own flat. We already found one and started the references process with the lettings agency. They already checked our work references and did the credit checks and all is well. The only thing pending is our actual landlord giving his references. We spoke with him and he said he was ok in giving the references, but it has been several days and either he doesn't respond to the company asking the references and doesn't answer or respond to their phone calls. He's not a very nice guy, no one likes him in our accommodation because he's a liar and tries to fool people. We never had any problem with him, but he's not someone we trust.

We were kinda expecting him to do this because he's the type of person that don't like when other people are well. In 2010 we also rented a flat in London and have very good references with the landlord and I'm sure if we contact him he'll be ok with providing those references, but we lived with family from 2010 to 2012 and don't have any other references.

So what can we do now? We told the agency we have this other references from other landlord, but the agency told us they don't need it and for us to wait a few more days and then they'll take a decision.

I'm really angry for your life to be depending on such an awful person like our current landlord. We've spent hard times in the past both unemployed and with 2 little toddlers and it's about time for us to be in our home and have peace of mind! This is just not fair.

Can they move forward with the renting without our landlord's references, or is this mandatory and inflexible? Please advise us what can we do. Thank you in advance!

Say that you don't believe your current landlord will be coming up with the reference despite saying that he would because he has let people down many times in the past, give examples, so please would they rely upon the references you have supplied.

Ideally go in to see them to make sure that they then progress it.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Me and my boyfriend are living in a shared accommodation in London for the past 6 months and we're now finally both working full-time and wanting to move into our own flat. We already found one and started the references process with the lettings agency. They already checked our work references and did the credit checks and all is well. The only thing pending is our actual landlord giving his references. We spoke with him and he said he was ok in giving the references, but it has been several days and either he doesn't respond to the company asking the references and doesn't answer or respond to their phone calls. He's not a very nice guy, no one likes him in our accommodation because he's a liar and tries to fool people. We never had any problem with him, but he's not someone we trust.

We were kinda expecting him to do this because he's the type of person that don't like when other people are well. In 2010 we also rented a flat in London and have very good references with the landlord and I'm sure if we contact him he'll be ok with providing those references, but we lived with family from 2010 to 2012 and don't have any other references.

So what can we do now? We told the agency we have this other references from other landlord, but the agency told us they don't need it and for us to wait a few more days and then they'll take a decision.

I'm really angry for your life to be depending on such an awful person like our current landlord. We've spent hard times in the past both unemployed and with 2 little toddlers and it's about time for us to be in our home and have peace of mind! This is just not fair.

Can they move forward with the renting without our landlord's references, or is this mandatory and inflexible? Please advise us what can we do. Thank you in advance!

If you have evidence of your prior landlords contact details I.e. contract with address and possibly phone number on it, and they are not responding then no problem. Generally people don't provide a landlord reference, it's not necessary and in fact logically as long as the contact details are correct, then no response is actually a good reference - the fact that they can't be arsed shows that you have done nothing of note to p1ss them off.

In conclusion. Make these points firmly and clearly you will be fine - hope you enjoy your new private accommodation!

Landlord references are a bit of a joke aren't they. If a landlord wants shut of you he isn't going to make it difficult for you to leave.

Nobody likes being sued for defamation either.

London is a nightmare but they are only interested in getting the money at the end of the day. If it looks like you can pay they will

let to you.

Thank you all for your answers, they're very useful! I'v never thought that a non-reference is a good reference, because LL's would give excellent refs to awful tenants just for them to leave asap.

I spoke with the lettings agency yesterday and since we speak to our current LL they advised us to ask him for a rent statement. They just want to know we've paid rent on time and legally the LL has to provide us with that or he can can have problems with the law. We didn't know that and are going to ask him that today. If he also doesn't want to provide us with that, he's breaking the law and there's nothing else we can do. We also have all the payslips from each rent payment to prove we always paid on time so if everything else fails, at least we can prove that.

I just want this sorted out asap and for us to be at our new home.

Just an update since my previous post this morning: we asked the LL for a rent statement and he refused to gave us one saying he doesn't have time to write it. My boyfriend was smart and also sent him an email asking for that to which he replied that we have all our rent receipts and that will suffice (receipts that he never signed or have his name or his company name on it). We then forwarded his email to the lettings agency and also the company checking the refs and spoke on the phone with the letting agency explaining this. The agent was very chocked he doesn't want to give us the rent statement because by law he has to give us that if we ask (I'm sure he doesn't know that) and for us not to worry that on Monday she'll speak with the company checking the refs.

He was dumb in writing an email saying he won't give us the rent statement and that the rent receipts will suffice. This shows the agency and the other company the kind of person he is and also basically he just gave us the ref we need, by saying that the receipts will suffice which means we always paid on time.

We cannot afford it at the moment, but if we could we definitely would put a lawyer speaking to him. Just hope that on Monday we can sort all this out.

Just an update since my previous post this morning: we asked the LL for a rent statement and he refused to gave us one saying he doesn't have time to write it. My boyfriend was smart and also sent him an email asking for that to which he replied that we have all our rent receipts and that will suffice (receipts that he never signed or have his name or his company name on it). We then forwarded his email to the lettings agency and also the company checking the refs and spoke on the phone with the letting agency explaining this. The agent was very chocked he doesn't want to give us the rent statement because by law he has to give us that if we ask (I'm sure he doesn't know that) and for us not to worry that on Monday she'll speak with the company checking the refs.

He was dumb in writing an email saying he won't give us the rent statement and that the rent receipts will suffice. This shows the agency and the other company the kind of person he is and also basically he just gave us the ref we need, by saying that the receipts will suffice which means we always paid on time.

We cannot afford it at the moment, but if we could we definitely would put a lawyer speaking to him. Just hope that on Monday we can sort all this out.

He is hiding something...like maybe he isn`t declaring his earnings B)

He is hiding something...like maybe he isn`t declaring his earnings B)

Definitely worth following up. If defrauding the taxman means causing serious grief to innocent tenants then it's time you played your part in putting a stop to it.

As for receipts, what about rent payments shown on your bank statement? Presumably your bank can confirm details of your standing order and payments under it (with your written permission, of course). Or if you used anything so archaic as cheques, your bank should return the cashed/processed originals to you on request. A court of law would accept evidence of payment from your bank in the appropriate circumstances, so why not a lettings agent?

Definitely worth following up. If defrauding the taxman means causing serious grief to innocent tenants then it's time you played your part in putting a stop to it.

As for receipts, what about rent payments shown on your bank statement? Presumably your bank can confirm details of your standing order and payments under it (with your written permission, of course). Or if you used anything so archaic as cheques, your bank should return the cashed/processed originals to you on request. A court of law would accept evidence of payment from your bank in the appropriate circumstances, so why not a lettings agent?

Unfortunately we don't have bank statements for the rent since we had to pay the rent in cash, the LL refused to accept payments by any other way, which I believe it's also illegal. When this is all sorted out we'll gonna write a letter to the council informing of all we've been trough here. The council is already keeping a close eye on him because some tenants made complains about him, with our complaint as well I hope someone takes legal action against him. And he probably isn't declaring his earnings...

Meanwhile I just hope the lettings agency and the company checking the refs clearly sees how he is by refusing to give us the rent statement and just accept us as tenants in our new home.

Dob him into HMRC, do it today.

HMRC? Dammit, police too, if he's taking cash and refusing to give receipts! If there's a deposit, you might want to take him to the cleaners over that too: see Kaladorm's pinned thread.

If it's shared accommodation, your fellow-victims will serve as witnesses and with their evidence a court[1] will believe you over him.

[1] Provided the court isn't in his pocket.

HMRC? Dammit, police too, if he's taking cash and refusing to give receipts! If there's a deposit, you might want to take him to the cleaners over that too: see Kaladorm's pinned thread.

If it's shared accommodation, your fellow-victims will serve as witnesses and with their evidence a court[1] will believe you over him.

[1] Provided the court isn't in his pocket.

If it is informing the police of his actions and if the police feel it is warranted then I think it would be a criminal case, so no lawyer (or legal aid) needed by yourselves (the OP) since it would be State v landlord?

I would strongly advise making sure you 4 (!) are secure in your new home (as secure as the stitch up that is letting in the UK) before stirring it up.

Hang (and I know this is probably illegal/immoral/inadvisable) ... I would even donate a pound to yourselves ot uspport your time in chasing down the evidence for the police. Might even suggest we make a call on HPC for such.

If it is informing the police of his actions and if the police feel it is warranted then I think it would be a criminal case, so no lawyer (or legal aid) needed by yourselves (the OP) since it would be State v landlord?

I would strongly advise making sure you 4 (!) are secure in your new home (as secure as the stitch up that is letting in the UK) before stirring it up.

Hang (and I know this is probably illegal/immoral/inadvisable) ... I would even donate a pound to yourselves ot uspport your time in chasing down the evidence for the police. Might even suggest we make a call on HPC for such.

I'm sure the company checking the refs are checking about the LL as well, to see if he's really the LL and if his company (the one he uses to manage the accommodation) exists and is valid and probably they'll discover a few things about him if he's twisting the law/not declaring his earnings. I'm not sure if this company will take any action since they're only a ref checking company but probably they'll not take his refs into consideration.

We'll make a complain about him to the local council when we're out of here, no worries. The council already have a few complains about him and will take proper action.

The council already have a few complains about him and will take proper action.

The council will put "check evil landlord X" on its wishlist. Something might possibly happen, but more likely it'll get drowned under more urgent stuff.

And as for HMRC, I suspect tax-evasion is a separate issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if the council not merely won't but can't get involved in that, at least not without jumping through data protection hoops. On the other hand, you're ideally placed to Do Something that could save future tenants from your present predicament.

The council will put "check evil landlord X" on its wishlist. Something might possibly happen, but more likely it'll get drowned under more urgent stuff.

And as for HMRC, I suspect tax-evasion is a separate issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if the council not merely won't but can't get involved in that, at least not without jumping through data protection hoops. On the other hand, you're ideally placed to Do Something that could save future tenants from your present predicament.

We're not sure he's not declaring his earnings so we cannot make a complain to HMRC. We can and that will do make a complain to the council since he's been breaking the law many times and have already several complaints from tenants.

This morning we've had the ok from the company that cheks the refs, the house is ours even without the LL's refs. ;)

We're not sure he's not declaring his earnings so we cannot make a complain to HMRC. We can and that will do make a complain to the council since he's been breaking the law many times and have already several complaints from tenants.

This morning we've had the ok from the company that cheks the refs, the house is ours even without the LL's refs. ;)

Rubbish! don't be a wet blanket, let HMRC know of your concerns so they can look into it. If only more people did this we would get rid of a lot of rogue landlords

Rubbish! don't be a wet blanket, let HMRC know of your concerns so they can look into it. If only more people did this we would get rid of a lot of rogue landlords

Well, he also has two people working for him at the accommodation (cleaning, fixing things, etc) without having a signed work agreement or whatever, so he's breaking the law on that and not paying any taxes (and the employees don't declare as well). So I'm sure there's more in to it.

shop him to HMRC, he's doing a tax dodge. Save other future tenants being in your position and getting shafted too. Stuff the council, they won't do anything.

You don't need cast iron evidence, just reasonable suspicion. Stop reading this and dob him in.