Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Rural Fibre Broadband Scheme Two Years Behind Schedule, Say Auditors

Recommended Posts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/05/rural-fibre-broadband-behind-schedule

Much-trumpeted plans to introduce superfast broadband to rural areas will be delivered nearly two years late, with taxpayers footing a greater proportion of the £1.2bn bill, the government's official auditors have said.

Fewer than a quarter of the projects will be ready by May 2015, the expected delivery date, and the scheme will cost the public purse an extra £207m, according to a report from the National Audit Office.

The government has already announced that superfast broadband will reach 95% of the population by 2017, two years after the original date for reaching that target.

Just nine out of 44 local projects are expected to reach the original target of 2015, according to the report, with the delay partly attributed to the EU state aid process taking six months longer than expected.

So the delay is only 25% the EU's fault and the other 75% of the blame lies where?

No surprise that costs have escalated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.guardian....behind-schedule

So the delay is only 25% the EU's fault and the other 75% of the blame lies where?

No surprise that costs have escalated.

Not sure why the rest of us are paying for rural broadband. If rural communities want high speed broadband they should club together and pay for the back haul and wireless system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably better that it takes longer. The alternative is to train up 100's of extra people order 100's of extra of extra specialist vehicles only for them all to be redundant once the job is finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 44 contracts are with BT.

The state seems hell bent on ignoring competition and favouring bigger and bigger corporations. Not just in this area.

All 44 contracts are with BT because BT is the only major supplier that has agreed to the Governments terms for securing funding for rural broadband infrastructure and that is open access to the network afterwards to rivals. Other Telco's have the option of agreeing to this condition but have chosen not too as they prefer to keep their network only for them.

Personally I think the Government has been quite forward thinking with the competition side of this funding, you can lead a horse to water and all that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why the rest of us are paying for rural broadband. If rural communities want high speed broadband they should club together and pay for the back haul and wireless system.

Where Lancashire leads.....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21442348

Edit: fibre not wireless.

Edit 2: think Jim Bowen lives there. Not sure if he paid for it though.

Edited by blobloblob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 238 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.