House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Coup In Egypt

I am not a fan of the Muslim Brotherhood, but as far as I remember they got democratically elected.

Finding it a little strange that the media aren't calling what happened in Egypt a coup.

Listening to state media this afternoon and you could tell the party line was democratic government = anti democratic / mitary coup = pro democratic. They did at least play a clip of the regime leader David Cameron saying that, while he didn't agree with military coups blah blah. You could tell he feckin' loved it though.

Guest eight

I am not a fan of the Muslim Brotherhood, but as far as I remember they got democratically elected.

Finding it a little strange that the media aren't calling what happened in Egypt a coup.

I wish the UK was that democratic.

Presumably your argument is that, once elected, a government can then do whatever it likes with the only potential redress for the electorate being to vote them out again in five year's time?

If it is labeled as a coup , Obama can't fund the acting government /military to the tune of $1.3bn pa ......then it would go really tits up in very short order ...

If it is labeled as a coup , Obama can't fund the acting government /military to the tune of $1.3bn pa ......then it would go really tits up in very short order ...

Car bombs after prayers tomorrow. 100% guaranteed.

First installment of writing him out of history. Or relegating him to a footnote in the story of post-Mubarak changes, wherever they eventually lead.

Thing is, this could be a big Own Goal for those who want something westernised. If they successfully hobble the Brotherhood so it can't win another election, that's a lot of p***ed off supporters. And religion thrives on oppression! This could create fertile ground for something nasty.

Yes well it caught them by surprise - and apparently they're still in de-Nile...

Buuuhduuuuuummmmmm tsssshhhhhhhhhhh...!!!!

XYY

First installment of writing him out of history. Or relegating him to a footnote in the story of post-Mubarak changes, wherever they eventually lead.

Thing is, this could be a big Own Goal for those who want something westernised. If they successfully hobble the Brotherhood so it can't win another election, that's a lot of p***ed off supporters. And religion thrives on oppression! This could create fertile ground for something nasty.

I think we still have a Pharaoh-ld way to go before owt like that happens mate...

.XYY

Listening to state media this afternoon and you could tell the party line was democratic government = anti democratic / mitary coup = pro democratic. They did at least play a clip of the regime leader David Cameron saying that, while he didn't agree with military coups blah blah. You could tell he feckin' loved it though.

Aye, something certainly Sphinx to high-heaven here..

:)

XYY

I prefer this one as it has coup and Egypt in the title.

and no spelling error.

Wouldn't it be better if a country was set-up somewhere, lets call it "Islamonutjobistan" where all these religious types can go and run their medieval theocracy, we can send them most of the population of Luton to kick start the place. Bit like how american got started with the Christians.