House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sour Mash

Bbc Spotlight Programme On Red Sky

Did anyone else see this? I caught most of it when I was channel hopping but missed the start so I'll be looking to get it on catchup.

Some pretty astounding revelations (well, maybe not so astounding if you are a typical cynic as many of us on HPC are) if they are true.

Seems like the programme has at least stimulated some attention:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23176741

Let's hope that now its all out in the open, we can get to the bottom of the matter with any guilty players suitably identified and punished.

You'd hope that in a place as small as NI that we might be able to keep a tighter rein on public 'servants' and political representatives but only time will tell if the general population takes an interest in what is done with public money and whether or not politicians behave in an appropriate manner.

It is quite shocking, corruption is bad enough but mix it with sectarianism and Political influences from right at the top of Stormont... Heads should roll over this - very senior politicians who are found to have been involved should be forced to resign.

It was a fascinating program. I hope there will be a proper investigation into the allegations made in the program. This looks like a scandal.

The Spotlight program made Red Sky look like a bunch of crooks. 1 in 4 jobs incorrectly billed according to the program.

According to the program - housing executive officials authorising payments on work not even carried out and accepting gifts from the contractor.

I think it is fair to say that the program also makes the DUP look like a bunch of bullies who are acting on behalf of the crooks. The program even says the DUP acted illegally in the assembly.

... all alegidly of course ;)

Edited by Belfast Boy

It's great to see how local politicians have seemingly wasted no time whatsoever in abusing what limited powers that they have been given, for their own ends. Another big step along the road to the normalisation of NI politics. :lol:

Tellingly the DUP made a carefully worded denial that Red Sky/ Norman Hayes had been a DUP donor. There was no such denial in relation to Turkingtons.

Newton Emerson likened the response to alleged wrong doing as similar to the Bishops on child abuse. Good point. Does someone have to call the cops or can they step in anyway?

According the the programme, the (now former) chief exec of the Housing Executive had at the time passed a file from their internal investigation on the Red Sky case to the police who declined to pursue a full criminal investigation.

Love the way that the DUP are now abusing the 'petition of concern' veto to dodge further scrutiny of their alleged misdemeanours. Will the electorate catch themselves on or will they dutifully vote for the tribal candidates irrespective of how dirty their hands are? Not holding my breath for the people to do the right thing.

According the the programme, the (now former) chief exec of the Housing Executive had at the time passed a file from their internal investigation on the Red Sky case to the police who declined to pursue a full criminal investigation.

Love the way that the DUP are now abusing the 'petition of concern' veto to dodge further scrutiny of their alleged misdemeanours. Will the electorate catch themselves on or will they dutifully vote for the tribal candidates irrespective of how dirty their hands are? Not holding my breath for the people to do the right thing.

It is a complete joke. I can't believe the DUP is using the 'petition of concern'. An instrument to ensure cross-community consensus.

The vote had the support of all other political parties.

It is a slap in the fact for democracy.

The DUP are yet again exposed as the party of property developers. Shame on anyone that gives them a vote in the next election.