House Price Crash Forum

Collapse In Part-Time Degree Student Numbers

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23160461

"Prof Sir Eric Thomas, president of Universities UK, said: "The 40% drop since 2010 in the numbers taking up part-time study is deeply worrying "

Deeply worrying for budget income projections no doubt.

"A Department for Business, Innovation and Skills spokeswoman said it was determined to support all part-time students at university."From 2012 we made non means-tested tuition fee loans available to new part-time students."".

Very kind of them. Unfortunately it looks like the oldies are not so keen on debt. That's for those young uns who want to have a chance of a job that doesn't involve food-handling.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

These are mostly "hobby" degrees.

For many years I planned to do an OU degree part time but, as with proper Unis, the fees for that got jacked up so high I won't be bothering now and will do one of the structured online learning courses referenced here.

That OU degree would have been a "hobby" degree done out of pure interest so I am not being demeaning when I talk of hobby degrees.

HOLA443
HOLA444

The very low paid jobs where workers are in high demand for example compassionate care work still require qualifications.......if they want the fully trained people for cheap labour to work for them they should be investing in training them..... :angry:

HOLA445

I've been keeping an eye on some OU music courses for a while. Used to be ~£800 for one module including a residential summer school bit. They've "updated" the module to take out the residential bit but the price is now £2,500 for those in England. Still ~£800 for me as i'm in Wales, but i'm not interested at £800, and only a moron would pay £2.5k considering what you're getting for it.

HOLA446
HOLA447

When I did my maths degree I thought I could have done the whole lot with a few text books designed for the course and/or material online and then just booking into the exams at the end. Any real problems with understanding could have been dealt with online if needed. No real need for lecture theatres these days, but of course they have to justify the salaries and pensions somehow.

HOLA448

Universities need to wake up to the idea it's a globalised marketplace now - and they are competing with free. As an autodidact, life has never been better. A thousand lifetimes worth of high quality learning is out there and completely free. I don't give a monkey's if I end up with a certificate at the end.

The first online company to offer an acredited degree for £500 (<£100 if you are in the developing world) including structured learning, assessment, peer support etc will make a killing. This is the direction the OU should have taken, not the reverse.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA449

Universities need to wake up to the idea it's a globalised marketplace now - and they are competing with free. As an autodidact, life has never been better. A thousand lifetimes worth of high quality learning is out there and completely free. I don't give a monkey's if I end up with a certificate at the end.

The first online company to offer an acredited degree for £500 including structured learning, assessment, peer support etc will make a killing. This is the direction the OU should have taken, not the reverse.

Bring it on......sooner the better. ;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

To do a part time degree you may need to work part time, when fees where small people could afford it. As part time work is usually low paid it appears Universities have discovered that low paid people can't afford the fees. Shock news totally unexpected. One would have thought someone in the economics dept might have spotted this fundamental flaw.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

For many years I planned to do an OU degree part time but, as with proper Unis, the fees for that got jacked up so high I won't be bothering now and will do one of the structured online learning courses referenced here.

That OU degree would have been a "hobby" degree done out of pure interest so I am not being demeaning when I talk of hobby degrees.

Yeah, I was considering doing an Open University degree out of personal interest but as you say, the fee increases put me right off that idea.

I can expand my knowledge in pretty much any area using free tools and resources online but it would have been nice to do a properly structured degree and might even have opened the path to a career change further in life, which self-research and learning won't really do.

HOLA4415

It's about providing salaries and pensions for people that can't hack it in the real world, every few years you need a collapse to stop it getting out of control.

Given the amount of zombie companies in all kinds of sectors out there, I am beginning to wonder what the real world looks like.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The first online company to offer an acredited degree for £500 (<£100 if you are in the developing world) including structured learning, assessment, peer support etc will make a killing. This is the direction the OU should have taken, not the reverse.

And which university whos currently coining it in on extortionate fees is going to offer them accreditation ?.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23160461

"Prof Sir Eric Thomas, president of Universities UK, said: "The 40% drop since 2010 in the numbers taking up part-time study is deeply worrying "

Deeply worrying for budget income projections no doubt.

"A Department for Business, Innovation and Skills spokeswoman said it was determined to support all part-time students at university."From 2012 we made non means-tested tuition fee loans available to new part-time students."".

Very kind of them. Unfortunately it looks like the oldies are not so keen on debt. That's for those young uns who want to have a chance of a job that doesn't involve food-handling.

Deeply worrying? That students are waking up to what a utter con university is for most of them?

Yep, i guess if youre a lecturer, that is deeply worrying.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Same here. I did the first year of a Masters in Art History, can't remember how much it cost but it didn't feel like a lot. Has since gone up so much it's not really worth it.

HOLA4423

Same here. I did the first year of a Masters in Art History, can't remember how much it cost but it didn't feel like a lot. Has since gone up so much it's not really worth it.

...And me too. I started a masters with the OU a few years back, got about a quarter through but put it on hold owing to change of focus. Went to pick it up again a few years later, scratched my head at why the costs for each module had more than doubled, thought what I actually got for it and thought "you can **** right off!".

How the OU can justify thousands of pounds for so little is beyond me. It used to be accessible higher education for all. Not so sure now.... Seriously, the amount they are charging, I'd expect a one-two week residential school, fully inclusive, for each module.

Edited by Norbert

HOLA4424

An Open University course, taken to full degree level, will now cost you £15k.

A 6 week OU course with 1 days human contact will now cost you £2.5k.

No wonder nobody [from Britain] takes them any more.

I'm sure the Chinese might pick up the slack

HOLA4425

And which university whos currently coining it in on extortionate fees is going to offer them accreditation ?.

Whichever is suffering most. I foresee a global race to reduce prices once students (or perhaps more likely, their parents) realise they are mostly paying thousands extra for an often not very good brand name on their degree certificate. The Cambridge's, Harvard's and MIT's of this world will always probably get away with charging a premium - even for online only. The ex-polys towards the bottom of the league tables? Or an up-and-coming uni based in the developing world? I doubt it. That'll drag down the online prices of the middle tier unis as well I reckon.