House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

New Curvy Lorries To Save Lives

New curvy lorries will help save lives. Look pretty aerodynamic too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-23152918

Now the European Commission says it wants to change the rules governing the size of lorries to help protect people like Cait.

Funnily enough, it involves making them bigger. Well, the cab at the front, anyway.

The commission wants to allow manufacturers to make more aerodynamic and curvaceous lorry cabs. Officials claim it will improve driver visibility, saving hundreds of lives across the EU every year, as well as cutting about £1,300 per lorry per year off the diesel bill for hauliers.

Hopefully help avoid appalling tragedies like this.

http://road.cc/conte...drew-mcmenigall

The driver of the lorry, a man in his 30s from Holsworthy in Devon, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and released on police bail.

Pictures from the scene showed the lorry carrying the logo of Launceston, Cornwall company Frys Logistics.

The driver of the lorry, a man in his 30s from Holsworthy in Devon, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and released on police bail.

what is really needed, is a very large pair of breasts on the front....soft to the body and luxurious entertainment for anyone not being run over.

what is really needed, is a very large pair of breasts on the front....soft to the body and luxurious entertainment for anyone not being run over.

Its not the front that is a problem. Its left turning lorries and trying to avoid ending up under the wheels.

As a cyclist I also avoid dual carriageways.

If they're more aerodynamic, that'll make them less of a hazard.

The biggest hazard now (apart from turning lorries in town) is the turbulence when they pass you at speed. At worst it could suck you into Very Bad Places like under the lorry. Particularly when combined with a crosswind!

Its not the front that is a problem. Its left turning lorries and trying to avoid ending up under the wheels.

As a cyclist I also avoid dual carriageways.

Thats easy....DONT CYCLE UP THE SIDE OF A HIGH SIDED VEHICLE.

or...a nice pair of plumb hips and thighs on the side of lorries.

or...a nice pair of plumb hips and thighs on the side of lorries.

But what about rear end impacts (snigger)?

Not that easy. Even if you absolutely never cycle up the inside of a lorry, you'll still get them overtaking you and then starting to pull in the moment the cab's past you. Unfortunately, you're still halfway along the lorry.

I would have thought some sort of portable fry up maker that fits in the cab would have been the highest priority.

or a bigger screen on your mobile so you can see what you are texting easier.

Cyclists are just suicidal. Half of the deaths are caused by the cyclist just going up the inside of these large trucks without a care in the world. Apparently without fear or any worry that they might be crushed to death.

Instead of redesigning trucks, cyclists just need to be told to hang back from large vehicles. Never go up the inside of one near a corner or turn in particular. They should assume that the truck has not seen them.

Cyclists are just suicidal. Half of the deaths are caused by the cyclist just going up the inside of these large trucks without a care in the world. Apparently without fear or any worry that they might be crushed to death.

Instead of redesigning trucks, cyclists just need to be told to hang back from large vehicles. Never go up the inside of one near a corner or turn in particular. They should assume that the truck has not seen them.

suicidal? you could also apply that to cars, vans, and lorries really.

anyway, 7 out of 8 deaths caused in this way in London were females, who generally do not ride crazy, but perhaps are not as aware of lorry blindspots as males.

Thats easy....DONT CYCLE UP THE SIDE OF A HIGH SIDED VEHICLE

That's just one potential-danger scenario.

There's a spot in town where walking on the pavement is a hazard due to big lorries swinging over it as they round a mini-roundabout. Coming from one direction the pavement is the inside of the curve, so the classic scenario. From the other direction, it's the front left of the trailer that swings over the pavement as the cab (and all the wheels) follow the road. Road isn't wide enough for the lorries to avoid swinging over the pavement.

At lights i always jump off the bike, cross as a pedestrian pushing the bike and get back on the other side while its still on red. Sitting at lights is ******ing stupid on a push bike.

You have the unique ability to be either a pedestrian or cyclist in an instant. Use it.

At lights i always jump off the bike, cross as a pedestrian pushing the bike and get back on the other side while its still on red. Sitting at lights is ******ing stupid on a push bike.

You have the unique ability to be either a pedestrian or cyclist in an instant. Use it.

Me too.

Red lights can be a hazard if they don't have an asl.

They reckon the reason so many women get run over in London is that they are less likely to jump red lights than men.

Me too.

Red lights can be a hazard if they don't have an asl.

They reckon the reason so many women get run over in London is that they are less likely to jump red lights than men.

Spatial awareness not something to do with it ?

I imagine it must be.

Women have naturally poorer spatial awareness than men. They are known to be more likely to veer across a road without knowing it in a car. I imagine the same must go for when they are on a bike ?

(Of course both blokes and burds can have poor spatial awareness. One of my mates is horrendous. He actually walls in front of us sometimes just walking along in a straight line :lol: )

Sitting in traffic in line on a push bike is just stupid.

I don't go anywhere near the left hand side of stationary traffic. If i come up to a queue of traffic i go right and overtake to get to the front.

The rule i follow is ride defensive when the other traffic is moving fast, and aggressive when its moving slow.

suicidal? you could also apply that to cars, vans, and lorries really.

Except that in a car/van etc you are not completely exposed. On a cycle your entire body is on the line from just the smallest bump.

Sitting in traffic in line on a push bike is just stupid.

I don't go anywhere near the left hand side of stationary traffic. If i come up to a queue of traffic i go right and overtake to get to the front.

The rule i follow is ride defensive when the other traffic is moving fast, and aggressive when its moving slow.

Indeed. I'll sometimes sit one or two cars back from a junction - particularly if there's a bus or HGV in the front row. But usually it's safer to get to the front. If there's no ASL (or, as in most instances, it's filled with motorists who don't know the rules of the road), then I'll "create" one.

I'd certainly never ride to the left of a big vehicle - and only very rarely of a normal car. Once the traffic's slow enough for me to faster then I'll move out into the main traffic flow and overtake on the right.

In most urban traffic, I take the middle of the lane anyhow - forces people to overtake properly and not "squeeze past" which can easily end up with them killing someone.

Reading this article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8296971.stm

It occurs to me that there might be a far simpler solution. ;)

That's an interesting article.

Supports my practice of "taking the lane" in urban traffic.

Spatial awareness not something to do with it ?

I imagine it must be.

Women have naturally poorer spatial awareness than men. They are known to be more likely to veer across a road without knowing it in a car. I imagine the same must go for when they are on a bike ?

(Of course both blokes and burds can have poor spatial awareness. One of my mates is horrendous. He actually walls in front of us sometimes just walking along in a straight line :lol: )

Yes CCC! If a lady is a comical parker, she will never get on my car insurance! As you point out some blokes are awful too! :huh:

Another one bites the dust. :(

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/hire-bike-cyclist-killed-in-crash-with-lorry-at-aldgate-east

in_content.png?1373102060

London's cyclists have been horrified by the death of young woman in a lorry crash while cycling along Aldgate during Friday evening rush hour.

Our condolences go out to the friends and family of this latest victim, which sources identified as a 17-year-old femaie.

Transport for London has confirmed that the lady was riding a Barclays Cycle Hire bicycle on the Mayor's Cycle Superhigway 2, which runs from Aldgate to Bow roundabout.

The collision took place on Whitechapel High Street at the junction with Commercial Street.

Full details aren't yet known, but it appears that a lorry loaded with a shipping container was heading east on this section of the Inner London Ring Road when the crash happened.