House Price Crash Forum

I'm A Quality Seeker

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Defining characteristics

Quality Seekers tend to be older and affluent

Being connected is not a priority – only 12% own a smartphone

Much more likely to have Freeview (72%) than pay TV (26%)

Late adopters - 70% tend to buy technology once it is more widely used and has been tried and tested

More likely than most groups to have traditional/non-mobile items - HiFi (68%), desktop computer (78%), DAB (53%)

That all sounds about right, although it is really just a summary of my answers.

Anyway: take the geek test:

How much of a geek are you? New calculator separates the tech buffs from the technophobes... so how do you score?

The UK population has been divided into five personality types based on their love, or hate, for technology

The groups include Tech Rich, Social Addict, TV Worshippers, Quality Seekers and Price Pragmatists

Geek calculator asks 10 questions about gadgets and lifestyle to detemine which group you belong to, with 'TV Worshipper' the most common

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2354849/Geek-calculator-separates-tech-buffs-technophobes--score.html

HOLA442

I'm a Quality Seeker too it seems.

Some questions are dumb - of course 'size matters' when it comes to TV. Otherwise it might be too small to see, or too big for the room.

There should be a category 'Very Technologically Literate but Simply Doesn't Need Stuff For The Sake Of It'.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Quality seeker

I can see where this one is going

I was expecting mostly Price Pragmatists tbh.

The Price Pragmatists don’t own many tech devices and aren't interested in technology.

They make up 21 per cent of UK adults and will seek out offers and deals when they do decide to buy.

Some 17 per cent of 16 to 24-year-olds are Price Pragmatists.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Im a secret Quality Seeker

R Whites...R Whites.!

Elvis Costello's finest hour. He was in the backing vocal group called The Thirst doing the "R Whites, R Whites". The main man in the ad is his dad.

Edit: the second ad has Frankie Howerd playing his wife, in another one Ronnie Corbett does this. Sometime adverts are so good they enter the culture. I also saw the Shake and Vac ad there ("It's all you have to do!.....") but that would be diverting the thread far too much.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm a Quality Seeker too it seems.

Some questions are dumb - of course 'size matters' when it comes to TV. Otherwise it might be too small to see, or too big for the room.

There should be a category 'Very Technologically Literate but Simply Doesn't Need Stuff For The Sake Of It'.

Exactly.

The 'buy the new thing, it's better than the old thing' doesn't appeal to me.

Even when a new thing comes out it's better to wait a while - like I only got into digital cameras when they could offer comparable quality to film yet there were these crappy little compacts being sold for £400 when an old Olympus SLR from the 80s would take high quality pictures and could be picked up for nothing much. iPads are pretty useful now but why did anyone buy the first model that was just another gizmo to go on the web with? I still haven't got one and may not for a long while.

Ever heard those £300-500 bluetooth iPod dock speakers? Utter junk compared to even some low-end proper hifi amp and speakers you could pick up for nothing much on Gumtree.

Now a TV is a gadget you're supposed to upgrade. When I was a kid the telly being on the blink was a hassle not some juicy excuse to get a mega-set.

A 16GB upgrade and Hybrid drive in my laptop has probably given it another couple of years of usefulness over buying the latest and greatest.

I'd rather buy used high quality items than new tat.

etc., etc.

HOLA4414

It classed me as a Social Addict which proves the quiz is dogs knackers.

I’d feel completely cut off from the world without my mobile

Disagree

Function is more important than style

Agree

I love being the first to get new gadgets

Disagree

Social Addict Description - "Being separated from your mobile is a major drama. You feel completely cut off from the world without it. You'll do anything for an upgrade, provided the brand's right and it's the latest model."

Anyone who knows me knows I don't even answer the thing if I don't feel obliged. I use technology until it breaks, which because I read up on things and get advice generally takes a long time as I get decent stuff that I actually need. My desktop lasted ten years before I got another recently, and I still use the old one occasionally.

They need to sort their quiz out.

(Edit for mistake)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I know the word geek is particularly malleable in meaning, but defining it by aquisition habits of mainstream consumer electronics is a tortuous stretch. I suppose no-one would take the test if they titled it "Sad-eyed, hollow-souled consumerist victim of advertising test".

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived