House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Student Exodus In Leeds

Saw this when looking around for info on Monpellier/Jan Fletcher going bust.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/boom-in-leeds-city-centre-living-leading-to-student-exodus-1-5821988

Not been in Leeds for years.

The article make a big assumption that students are moving to the new flats in the centre rather than some cr.ppy shared house.

Is there a fall in students, or more staying at home?

The article make a big assumption that students are moving to the new flats in the centre rather than some cr.ppy shared house.

Been happening for a few years in Swansea. The students and HMO landlords, IMPO, destroyed two lovely suburbs near the uni and now that they are trashed they have been increasingly moving into flats in the Swansea marina areas.

I suspect that area will be trashed in time and the students will then move on.

According to one property professional, there are fears that property prices in the city’s traditional student areas could fall later this year, as landlords try to get rid of their stock.

The horror :o

There have been threads on Unis (I remember Plymouth for one) building big blocks of student accommodation of their own. I think there has been some decline in student numbers this year after a spike the year before to try to beat the £9k a year tuition fee.

Still, whatever the reason price drops are welcome :)

Ms Newton added: "2012 has already seen landlords putting their entire student portfolio on the market for sale.

Nice to hear. And presumably this can revert to family housing?

Loads of new student accommodation being built in nearby Huddersfield and very close to the University and town centre.

Don't know how they can afford Leeds though. I considered moving there but City Centre apartment living made London look "cheap."

Edited by Secure Tenant

Been happening for a few years in Swansea. The students and HMO landlords, IMPO, destroyed two lovely suburbs near the uni and now that they are trashed they have been increasingly moving into flats in the Swansea marina areas.

I suspect that area will be trashed in time and the students will then move on.

In Nottingham it is Hobson's choice, trashed by the local precariat or the University students. Of the inner city areas, the student dormitory of Lenton is probably preferable to and safer than some of the the non-Uni areas......such as Sneinton, The Meadows and St. Anns.

Edited by crashmonitor

Bear in mind that if people stop being students, or choose not to become one, they do not simply disappear (except foreign students, assuming they leave the country.)

So whatever the would-be students do instead, they will still need housing, though perhaps putting housing pressure on a different location elsewhere. If they stay with their parents, they add to the 'pent-up demand' for homes.

The net effect on the housing market, and national house prices, is likely to be, therefore, negligible.

Bear in mind that if people stop being students, or choose not to become one, they do not simply disappear (except foreign students, assuming they leave the country.)

So whatever the would-be students do instead, they will still need housing, though perhaps putting housing pressure on a different location elsewhere. If they stay with their parents, they add to the 'pent-up demand' for homes.

The net effect on the housing market, and national house prices, is likely to be, therefore, negligible.

People buy houses on a local level. Net effects at a UK level are of little interest to most people.

I've just looked up the figures for Cardiff (because i live there). Cardiff Uni has 28k students, Cardiff Met (ex-UWIC) 11K, Giving 39k. The University of South Wales (ex Glamorgan plus Newport) has 33k, a bunch of those would live in Cardiff, if we assume a third do - probably an underestimate - that gives 50k students in a city of 346k. 1 in 7 of the population. A combination of falling student numbers and increased bespoke student halls (they're building loads) could therefore have a big local impact.

In Nottingham it is Hobson's choice, trashed by the local precariat or the University students. Of the inner city areas, the student dormitory of Lenton is probably preferable to and safer than some of the the non-Uni areas......such as Sneinton, The Meadows and St. Anns.

Yes, in my short stint at Nottingham I lived in Lenton and then lovely Radford to save a few quid. Radford, what a dump. I think the one's you mention were more convenient for trent university.

Some of these landlords were coining it though. Out of interest i looked how much my landlord bought the semi he rented us out for...it was£35k in 1997. Six years later when we were renting it he was getting over £10k a year out of it. By 2006 some of the wealthier students(parents) were buying those same semis for £240, 250k IRRC, for a 5% gross yield if they were lucky.

Edit: needless to say, i cant see them going up at the same rate between 2006-2016 as they did between 1997-2007 ie 5-600%! Be lucky if they retain 2006 values.

Edited by Executive Sadman

'According to Ms Newton, the boom in city centre apartments has seen students migrate from more areas such as Headingley, Burley and Hyde Park, leaving empty properties, and many landlords with large student portfolios are facing an economic crisis.

Ms Newton added: “2012 has already seen landlords putting their entire student portfolio on the market for sale.

“A further vast volume of such properties will flood the sales market in September, as landlords decide to downsize their portfolio when they face having empty houses for a full academic year due to lack of student interest. Supply will then outweigh demand forcing prices down.

“I did a search, and found there were in excess of 1,000 student properties available in Headingley and the surrounding areas. They would normally have been let before Christmas or over the winter. A lot of landlords are scratching their heads.”

Permission to wet my self laughing.Quite why they'll be scratching their heads I don't know.Can't they see the University built skyscrapers offering studio living and free wifi for £85 week for term time only?

For years they've been charging students for the full year even when they only wanted the property for 9 months.Very little sympathy.

'

Permission to wet my self laughing.Quite why they'll be scratching their heads I don't know.Can't they see the University built skyscrapers offering studio living and free wifi for £85 week for term time only?

For years they've been charging students for the full year even when they only wanted the property for 9 months.Very little sympathy.

And outside term time, they will be let too. Can't see local hotels being too happy either.:lol:

Indeed. That's something else that's changed since I was a student. Most did not charge over the summer and the few that did asked for a small retainer, sometimes returnable (apparently to ensure the student would actually turn up to claim the room they'd booked).

I remember wangling half rent for the summer out of the landlord once as I'd left the uni but was now working in the area.

Charging full whack all year around is even more of a con when many student properties are actually being refurbished over the summer.

And outside term time, they will be let too. Can't see local hotels being too happy either.:lol:

Quite.The downward pressure on margins in both Student BTL and hotels continues apace.

I always try and stay in independently owned hotels and so know that said places are being bled dry.Rooms that in 2002/3 were chargeable at £80+ are now going through booking.com for £40.The main losers have been the small market town type hotels.Where once they dominated their respective areas and had no competition for miles,they now have a Travelodge withing 5 miles offering a superior room for less money.

Institutional investors have piled in for a variety of reasons-stable returns,low vacancy rates circa 3%, etc.University Parnerships Programme has circa 30,000 beds,Unite has 40,000.

For all those private sector LL's the following should explain the future clearly to them.

'.....offers a range of en suite rooms in 2, 4, 5, and 6 bedroom flats, perfect for sharing with friends or meeting new people. There are also a range of studios available for those who prefer to live independently. The property also benefits from secure car parking.

As with all UNITE properties, we include unlimited Wi-Fi access, contents insurance and all bills in the price so you don’t have to worry about any unexpected costs.'

And you only have to pay for 43 weeks a year.As opposed to paying £80 pppw for 52 weeks plus bills to live in a place the LL where you wipe your feet on the way out.

Interesting times for student BTLers.

Institutional investors have piled in for a variety of reasons-stable returns,low vacancy rates circa 3%, etc.University Parnerships Programme has circa 30,000 beds,Unite has 40,000.

For all those private sector LL's the following should explain the future clearly to them.

Interesting times for student BTLers.

Interesting links. Thanks

This is my town Huddersfield

https://www.unite-students.com/rp1344860888223/Snow-Island

Look how the premium suites have sold out and there is a "wait list" for them. No wonder the construction cranes are up building more.

Sounds quite attractive to me, bills inclusive, double and three quarter beds, wifi and ensuites. Wouldn't mind living there myself! :lol:

Look how the premium suites have sold out and there is a "wait list" for them. No wonder the construction cranes are up building more.

Sounds quite attractive to me, bills inclusive, double and three quarter beds, wifi and ensuites. Wouldn't mind living there myself! :lol:

Huddersfield allow you to prebook very early for this September... So there might be some available after clearing, or whatever happens these days.

Compared to the hassle/bad luck of ending up dealing with local Rachman wannabees,it's far safer for parents/students to use the Uni accomodation.I know a few student LL's and they've been struggling for a few years.I've also heard some shocking stories of poor maintenance,intimidation and grotty digs.The bad ones have given everyone a bad name.