House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet Guy

Kiva Robots

Absolutely amazing.

Although I have been of the opinion for a while that within reasonable physical limits we can do pretty much anything we want now. The only limit is the money these things cost and the will of people to achieve them (when I say will I really mean political will, private individuals simply do not have the resources for some things).

Self driving flying cars is a decent sci-fi, absolutely possible, the problem of course is they would be prohibitively expensive to build and fuel would cost a small fortune. All the technology exists, collision avoidance, GPS guidance and so on (as demonstrated on a smaller and more controlled scale in the video).

Another example is a mission to Mars, the tech is all there and if it is not the collective brain power of the world is there, what isn't is the massive budget we would need. Maybe if we all decided to stop throwing bombs at each other (or in many cases continue a threat to throw bombs at each other) it could be done within a decade. Obviously won't happen in that fashion as there is far more money in the bomb business as opposed to getting to Mars for a day trip.

http://www.wimp.com/kivarobots/

Clever stuff but also a bit creepy. Will there be any need for humans a decade from now?

Another Wonderpop?

Kiva is nothing more than a shelf with wheels and will now require people to maintain / reprogram them.

Of course human will still be needed, but is likely to be in the skilled rather than unskilled area.

Guest eight

Humans are not needed now, if they all disappeared the rest of the universe would not give a toss.

The problem is that some humans seem to be indifferent (or worse) about the fate of humanity too. Is there a word for treason against your own species? There definitely should be.

Guest eight

A clever system, but it seems incredibly inefficient in energy terms, moving whole pods around for single items.

Maybe the designers are of the opinion that energy is about to become more, rather than less, abundant?

The problem is that some humans seem to be indifferent (or worse) about the fate of humanity too. Is there a word for treason against your own species? There definitely should be.

Baltaritis?

2yozu4o.jpg

Maybe the designers are of the opinion that energy is about to become more, rather than less, abundant?

What they should do is drive the picker around the warehouse automatically to each item.

However, the picker would then devolve into an adipose blob and require huge amounts of energy to move.

Really interesting stuff - and I guess it means fewer jobs in Amazon's warehouses in the future.

The fascinating thing for me is that while the hardware has probably been around for decades, it's the software which gives them this leap in capabilities. That suggests there is much more to come with relatively little effort.