House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Neanderthal Back Ache

Speaking of things neanderthal, I just lay outside on the grass for ten minutes, and it felt fantastic. There is something about it being so firm, yet with a soft covering, and a bit rounded, but not too lumpy, that makes feel like heaven. I suppose it would start to feel a bit hard if I tried to sleep on it though.

Other things that help: Squatting instead of sitting, yoga-like stretching (psoas muscle), sleeping with the leg raised on the sore side.

Bike riding feels fantastic too, the spine seems to like being supported at the ends and resting in the middle. Swimming, excellent, although it feels like you've been massaged by an angry sumo wrestler afterwards. Surprisingly, rollerblading was ok, once I'd got the hang of keeping my spine relaxed.

Walking hurts. My back gets so stiff, that the outer points of my pelvis start to "sting". Can't quite think of the right word to describe. The muscle group down there is really complicated, by the way. I really couldn't work out what was going on there, until I looked at some anatomy diagrams.

Did Neanderthal's ride bikes?

Maybe its to do with your weight being supported. Do you have a tummy?

The bike is a godsend. I'd be virtually stuck at home without it.

Did Neanderthal's ride bikes?

Maybe its to do with your weight being supported. Do you have a tummy?

i think I've seen them on the Flintstones, but I meant the "grass cure" really. Perhaps 10 minutes a day will cure me.

37" on a skinny to medium frame. Probably 3 ~5" above ideal/normal, but unfortunately most of it has gone on in the past 5 years.

I also have an overly arched spine. One of my problems was that I initially thought I should try to hold ot as straight as possible, but I think that you have to stick with your natural shape.

Another useful thing is remembering to treat the back, legs and pelvis as separate zones. So If I am lying on my back and want to raise my legs, I have to make sure my pelvis is stable first, otherwise the back muscles try and get involved. When I want to roll out of bad, I keep my back and legs still, and lead with the pelvis. It's actually makes me interested in yoga for the first itime in my life. I never really realised that you could isolate and control your muscles in that way.

And no suspenders either..

When I am Emperor I will pass a law forbiding high heels without suspenders and vice versa.

Lying on your back on a Summer's day on a piece of grass, with a slight breeze looking up at the canopy of a tree above you is very life affirming. Ditto the stars.

Guest eight

Lying on your back on a Summer's day on a piece of grass, with a slight breeze looking up at the canopy of a tree above you is very life affirming. Ditto the stars.

Do you have to do it naked like Robin Williams in The Fisher King?

I guess cycling/biking curves your spine the opposite way to slouching - so helps in that way ?