House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Herbal Stimulant Khat To Be Banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23163017

The herbal stimulant drug khat is to be banned, the BBC understands.

The decision goes against the recommendation of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), the government's official advisory body.

In January the ACMD said khat should remain a legal substance, saying there was "insufficient evidence" it caused health problems.

But Home Secretary Theresa May has decided to ban it, BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said.

An official statement is expected shortly.

'Mild stimulant'

Mrs May's decision is thought to be based on wider security and international considerations, in particular the use of the UK as a transit route for khat to other European countries, our correspondent said.

Khat is traditionally used by members of the Somali, Yemeni and Ethiopian communities.

It is already illegal in most European countries, as well as the US and Canada.

The Home Office commissioned a review by the ACMD and, reporting its results in January, it said chewing khat produced a "mild stimulant effect much less potent than stimulant drugs, such as amphetamine".

The ACMD found "no evidence" khat, made from leaves and shoots of a shrub cultivated in the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula and contains the stimulant cathinone, was directly linked with serious or organised crime.

So the Govt now wants to ensure it does become linked to serious and organised crime then by making it illegal.

a mild stimulant effect much less potent than stimulant drugs

Ban espresso shots and red bull.

For thousands of years, humans from most cultures around the world have sought altered states of consciousness, whether that is through drinking the water from a cactus, licking a frogs back or snorting cocaine off a hookers buttocks.

Theresa May can knob off if she thinks it's her decision to stop people chewing on a herb to get a mild stimulative effect, the dozey cow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23163017

So the Govt now wants to ensure it does become linked to serious and organised crime then by making it illegal.

Which is 99% likely to happen.

I'm baffled by our irrational 'war on drugs'. One of the weirder manifestations of which is the common UK magic mushroom, which until 2005 if eaten fresh was legal to consume. If you dried it out it becomes 'processed' and a class A drug no less. Now it's illegal to eat the wild mushroom even if you grazed it from the meadow like a cow. Punishable by up to seven years in jail and/or an unlimited fine! http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/magic-mushrooms

Who are these puritanical idiots in charge of all this?

I knew I shouldn't have watched the 'Hamsterdam' episodes of The Wire...

Which is 99% likely to happen.

I'm baffled by our irrational 'war on drugs'. One of the weirder manifestations of which is the common UK magic mushroom, which until 2005 if eaten fresh was legal to consume. If you dried it out it becomes 'processed' and a class A drug no less. Now it's illegal to eat the wild mushroom even if you grazed it from the meadow like a cow. Punishable by up to seven years in jail and/or an unlimited fine! http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/magic-mushrooms

Who are these puritanical idiots in charge of all this?

I knew I shouldn't have watched the 'Hamsterdam' episodes of The Wire...

Well "They" need to justify their ever expanding Police budget allocation for fighting the "War On Drugs" each year. "They" know they'll never win it, it's not meant to be won, just sustained. Prohibition demonstrated that banning something didn't stop people from doing it, quite the opposite in fact, but a lot of Money was lost on Tax revenue as a result. By banning something it not only enables the Powers That Be to steal more and more Taxpayer cash via their budgets for "fighting" whichever war they choose, but it also does little to alter the voting figures in a negative way as most people who vote are old and don't understand drugs and therefore fear them 'cos they watch the BBC.

The only problems in the World are Politicians who are salesmen by any other name: Create a problem and then present a way to fix the problem that they created whilst cultivating a nation of Fear as this makes people easier to control.

When are they going to ban Tobacco and Alcohol? Tobacco is the most dangerous drug on the planet, it's annual death toll is more than all diseases and all other drugs combined...

mspL4

There's an amazing statistic which I'm going to paraphrase and recall the numbers of to the best of my knowledge.

The UN estimate that you have to capture something like 80% of drugs to have any negative effect on the overall trade. Below that you just take the amateurs out of the equation and by less drugs getting in the price of those that do get through is boosted, effectively benefitting the hardcore smugglers. It's in dealers interests to have drugs seized low quantities - plus how often do you read of the guys at the top going to jail? It's once in a blue moon. The only people getting caught are the peddlers.

To date, in British history, I think there are only two years where more than 1% of drugs in circulation have ever been captured.

The war on drugs is failing miserably, we need to realise that and stop pretending we're achieving anything.

Guest eight

The war on drugs is failing miserably, we need to realise that and stop pretending we're achieving anything.

Never mind that - what about the rights of Somalis, Yemenis and Ethiopians to continue their traditional cultural practices?

Or succeeding admirably, depending on your PoV.

Never mind that - what about the rights of Somalis, Yemenis and Ethiopians to continue their traditional cultural practices?

Yes, but it conflicts with the rights of Daily Mail readers to continue their considerably less tasteful cultural practices.

We should be growing khat over here in hydroponic farms, we have plenty of water and leccy and it is easy enough to grow (it's the next big market if they ban it, currently only grown by hobby growers).

We should be growing it over here, so we don't import it, because it is a cash crop, water intensive and more profitable than food stuffs in the Yemen and Somalia, which already suffer from a lack of water and lack of food.

We should be growing it over here, so we don't import it, because it is a cash crop, water intensive and more profitable than food stuffs in the Yemen and Somalia, which already suffer from a lack of water and lack of food.

Good idea. We could ensure those countries use their land to farm real crops by forcing them to import our khat. Putting a few gunboats off the coast would also help the fight against piracy. Truly an ethical foreign policy.

What next, a tax on wine or beer yeast to stop home brewing.

LabourTory get ever more desperate.

Good idea. We could ensure those countries use their land to farm real crops by forcing them to import our khat. Putting a few gunboats off the coast would also help the fight against piracy. Truly an ethical foreign policy.

Sounds like the opium war.

We don't have to force them to buy it from us. Just reduce our demand, by producing our own for less, so that they do not waste their dwindling reserves of fresh water.

Ideally we could export hydroponic equipment so they could grow it without consuming as much water.

It sounds total nonsense to me! It's a leaf you chew, which is probably much like coffee! :blink:

And yet, for some contrast...

I'd read that St. John's Wort can be helpful to people with anxiety issues.

So I ordered some online, and this morning had one with coffee.

An hour later I begin to feel mildly dizzy and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. Black coffee has no effect. Can't even work - simple problems seem totally beyond me, brain has degenerated to the point where I almost feel like I'm in some kind of psychosis.

So I think to have a look online..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort

the most common adverse effects reported are gastrointestinal symptoms, dizziness, confusion, tiredness and sedation

It has taken about 14 hours to wear off.

And that's legal :)