House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Knimbies who say No

The Conservative Trap.

The latest in many articles from Conservative types warning the electorate about voting for UKIP since it'll result in a Labour victory. The number of such warnings has quietened since the local elections, but here's Chris Grayling today:

the http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10154989/Dont-be-tempted-by-Ukips-nice-Nigel-Farage.html

I'm astonished that Tory HQ is oblivious to the fact that these articles are the best recruiting Sergeant UKIP has at present. Nearly 1,000 comments at time of posting, mostly telling Grayling where to go.

The Tories are well and truly sunk if they think they can get traction with this line. Maybe they enjoy the sport, but their focus groups or whatever they use ought to be laying it on the line that this is an approach which is likely to make their predicament worse not better. Cameron's defenders have always trumpeted his leadership abilities, but I think his judgement has been shown to be pisspoor on a number of occasions, notably his decision to hire Coulson.

Edited by cheeznbreed

The best way for the Tories to get re-elected is to make a good job of running the country (which, at present, they're not doing).

People aren't stupid. Smearing opponents and playing "mind games" will only cement their reputation as the "Nasty party".

In my opinion, history has shown that neither the Tories nor Labour have the competency to run the country. Also, the EU is the most damaging thing for Britain EVER and the Tories are hopelessly divided over Europe. I will be voting UKIP.

The best way for the Tories to get re-elected is to make a good job of running the country (which, at present, they're not doing).

People aren't stupid. Smearing opponents and playing "mind games" will only cement their reputation as the "Nasty party".

In my opinion, history has shown that neither the Tories nor Labour have the competency to run the country. Also, the EU is the most damaging thing for Britain EVER and the Tories are hopelessly divided over Europe. I will be voting UKIP.

I'm quite keen to see how the recent bill on an EU referendum will change voting intentions. I suspect it will have no impact whatsoever, given the likelihood of Cameron actually being in a majority government after May 2015. Plenty of Tory MP's are crowing about it, which seems to me to be little more than a proxy for their concern over UKIP's potential to eat enough of their votes to send them packing. My MP will be defending a majority of a touch over 2,500, some 6% of the votes cast, which looks like a tough ask in a constituency which has mirrored overall general election results since the Conservatives won power in 1979. Add UKIP's recent popularity boom into the mix and he may as well not show up on polling day.

Im actually considering running in 2015 under a banner of "Conservative Party, The" in the next election im so pissed off with tories. Wont get elected, dont intend to, but would probably get enough votes from the old biddies who dont actually read the ballot to ensure the tories dont get in in my area.

All because of their sick Help to get in debt scheme.

Im actually considering running in 2015 under a banner of "Conservative Party, The" in the next election im so pissed off with tories. Wont get elected, dont intend to, but would probably get enough votes from the old biddies who dont actually read the ballot to ensure the tories dont get in in my area.

All because of their sick Help to get in debt scheme.

Yes, the HTB is the single most corrosive piece of policymaking I have come across, as far as turning away nominally conservative younger types from the blues. I think I can honestly say that despite being a resolute 'spoiler' of late, I'm very tempted to vote in a way that removes my HTB-loving Conservative MP, whose majority of 2,500 is well below what might be considered a safe margin. In fact it's practically guaranteed that he's going out regardless.