House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Bolivia Leader's Jet Diverted 'amid Snowden Suspicions'

Bolivian President Evo Morales's plane has been diverted to Austria amid suspicion that US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden is on board, the foreign minister has said.

David Choquehuanca denied that Mr Snowden was on the plane.

France and Portugal reportedly refused to allow the Bolivia-bound flight to cross their airspace.

Mr Snowden is seeking asylum in several countries to avoid extradition to the US for leaking intelligence secrets.

Mr Choquehuanca told reporters on Tuesday that France and Portugal had closed their airspace over the "huge lie" that Mr Snowden was on board.

"We don't know who invented this lie, but we want to denounce to the international community this injustice with the plane of President Evo Morales," he said.

The Bolivian president had been on a visit to Moscow, where the former CIA contractor has been holed up in an airport transit area since 23 June

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23156360

Ah, yes. In Moscow, and a government prepared to stand up to the US. Must be guilty. Hmmm ... well, if Bolivia had never any intention of taking this particular hot potato, maybe they've now got cause to reconsider ...

Thinking through possible outcomes, would it not be amusing to hear that he's vanished from Moscow airport (or that he was never there and someone's been spinning a story), and Putin telling us he's been granted asylum but we're not going to tell you in what country.

He should come to the UK with our long established respect for freedom of speech and the rights of the individual. laugh.gif

So WTF just happened?

Surely closing airspace is a pretty massive thing. But France and Portugal do it to stop someone who has done nothing against them travelling to a third country.

The world is seriously messed up.

Even if he is on board, what are they going to do - violate diplomatic law by storming the plane, pushing the President out of the way and dragging Snowden off?

You'd think the EU would be grateful to him for telling them the US has all their offices bugged.

I don't get the outrage. Like everyone didnt know, or at least assume, already.

Like labour blaming conservatives for GCHQ bugging 'outrage' a few weeks back. As if Labour want complicit beforehand!! The hypocrisy of politics is shameful.

Like labour blaming conservatives for GCHQ bugging 'outrage' a few weeks back. As if Labour want complicit beforehand!! The hypocrisy of politics is shameful.

There are probably all sorts of things going on. My first thoughts were that maybe Putin wants to keep him and "tipped" the Americans off about the Bolivia

plane to frighten Snowden into staying in Russia.

Maybe he has something on someone high up, that they weren't born in the US, caught buggering someone or using the NSA for political purposes.....

Yes shocking news that countries even allies spy on each other. I'm outraged by this news.

So WTF just happened?

Surely closing airspace is a pretty massive thing. But France and Portugal do it to stop someone who has done nothing against them travelling to a third country.

The world is seriously messed up.

It makes it more and more obvious that 'rule of law' doesn't exist anymore, even in the so called western democracies, at least when the interests of the 'powerful' are affected... :ph34r:

We are being governed by a bunch of gangsters who are all in it together.

On the other hand it's also a sign that these gangsters are getting very desperate, Snowden probably still has far more shocking documents in his possession that he hasn't published yet.

Even if he is on board, what are they going to do - violate diplomatic law by storming the plane, pushing the President out of the way and dragging Snowden off?

Sounds like a plan!

There are probably all sorts of things going on. My first thoughts were that maybe Putin wants to keep him and "tipped" the Americans off about the Bolivia

Maybe he has something on someone high up, that they weren't born in the US, caught buggering someone or using the NSA for political purposes.....

At the end of a Russian TV appearance in which he said he would consider any request from Snowden, Mr Maduro wrapped up the interview on a cheeky note – ‘‘It’s time for me to go – Snowden is waiting for me.’’

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/bolivians-bitter-as-snowden-standoff-triggers-hostile-act-20130703-2paih.html#ixzz2Xy5CXlM4

This is political cat and mouse. Who can piss off the yanks the most.

Perhaps the Bolivia thing was a trap. Discussed in highest secrecy to watch it leak ...

I wouldn't read too much into it. The US has got to get seriously tough on him, to discourage anyone else from leaking what might be much more interesting stuff.

Chicken and egg situation. Say you feel you have to blow a whistle. Should you seek political asylum somewhere first? But you haven't yet done anything to put you at risk at home, so why should anyone take your application seriously? And how do they know you won't end up doing them serious collateral damage? So to make a case, you give another country's security services a preview before going public? Why should they then do anything other than blackmail you into working from them, or conveniently 'disappear' you? Whoops! Maybe Snowden thought China would give him asylum, but learned too late that wasn't going to work.

It's a very serious act I guess to force a presidential plane to land.

We couldn't even get Yvonne's Fletcher's killers because they had immunity in the Libyan embassy

We couldn't even get Yvonne's Fletcher's killers because they had immunity in the Libyan embassy

It'll be even worse if he's not actually on it.

No force involved....they were just trapped in airspace with no exit...had to land or run out of fuel.

It'll be even worse if he's not actually on it.

They were reporting this lunchtime, the Austrian airport authorities looked (presumably with permission) and found only Bolivians on board.

So unless they've issued him a Bolivian passport AND airport police (not generally known for a sense of humour) have turned a blind eye ...

They were reporting this lunchtime, the Austrian airport authorities looked (presumably with permission) and found only Bolivians on board.

So unless they've issued him a Bolivian passport AND airport police (not generally known for a sense of humour) have turned a blind eye ...

I also read they weren't allowed to search the plane, just walk through it.

No force involved....they were just trapped in airspace with no exit...had to land or run out of fuel.

What with - Giant air nets?

I also read they weren't allowed to search the plane, just walk through it.

How many whistleblowers can you fit in the overhead lockers of a plane?