House Price Crash Forum
geranium

Dutch Housing Market

A Dutch colleague told me yesterday that

- the Dutch housing market has been growing around the rate of inflation for a few years now, following a period of strong double digit inflation

- inflation peaked quite a few years ago (got the impression HPI slowed in the Netherlands 3 years ahead of the UK market slowing)

- transaction levels have remained very low

- good family houses are still selling well but flats in poor locations have suffered in value

- a slow housing market has hit consumer spending

Anyone have any data on this?

Maybe the UK market has more in common with the Oz example (eg more speculation through BTL) but it's interesting the Dutch have seen a prolonged period of what we have right now - no real inflation, low transaction levels, weak consumer spending.

- the Dutch housing market has been growing around the rate of inflation for a few years now, following a period of strong double digit inflation

- inflation peaked quite a few years ago (got the impression HPI slowed in the Netherlands 3 years ahead of the UK market slowing)

- good family houses are still selling well but flats in poor locations have suffered in value

Maybe the UK market has more in common with the Oz example (eg more speculation through BTL) but it's interesting the Dutch have seen a prolonged period of what we have right now - no real inflation, low transaction levels, weak consumer spending.

Why dont you post on the right forum ?

Guest consa

http://www.fundacionareces.es/PDF/vivienda/Boelhouwer.pdf

Ahh the great Dutch Market that 2 years ago was held up by this forum as reflecting exactly where the UK was heading and has now been ignored as long periods of stagnation come to pass ....

Ohhh the fabled stagnation :P

Although interest rates are ALOT lower in eurozone, and average house price is still only £148,762.98, at 2.5% an IO morgage on that would be £309 a mounth!!!!! ALOT less than here in blighty, perhaps stagnation should be expected for a while over there

Edited by moosetea

Guest consa

Ahh the great Dutch Market that 2 years ago was held up by this forum as reflecting exactly where the UK was heading and has now been ignored as long periods of stagnation come to pass ....

Get your facts straight before posting bullsh#t

Is this the discussion you are referring to?

Is this 2 years ago?

Judge for yourselves

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=11744&hl=dutch

I just returned from Eindhoven and the average 3 bed semi in an OK area are selling at about 250K euros which puts them at about the same price as their equivalent in a northern town in the UK.

I just returned from Eindhoven and the average 3 bed semi in an OK area are selling at about 250K euros which puts them at about the same price as their equivalent in a northern town in the UK.

about £350 a mounth on a IO euro morgage

Get your facts straight before posting bullsh#t

Is this the discussion you are referring to?

Is this 2 years ago?

Judge for yourselves

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=11744&hl=dutch

Nope was earlier than that ..... when this forum looked very different . Can't remember the ins and outs but basically my point is that a prolonged stagnation is very possible due to artificially low interest rates. This is bad for homeowners and non-owners alike as homeowners take on HUGE debt that is not eroded by inflation and non-owners are priced out for protracted periods of time as the market is delayed from its "natural" correction.

My worry for this debt burden goes far beyond housing and if the US policy is anything to go by the next decade could be very hairy.

Guest consa

Nope was earlier than that ..... when this forum looked very different .

All topics and posts are still here (can the mods confirm this?)

I have searched them all, so unless you can show me otherwise, you are mistaken.

Thanks for the info & links. The tax breaks and low interest rates seem to go a long way to explaining it.

Apologies for posting on the wrong forum. Maybe the administrators can move the thread?

HPC in december 2003, looking very bullish...

http://web.archive.org/web/20031206062913/...icecrash.co.uk/

Ahh now that looks familiar from my brief postings that the market had considerable steam in in yet ....

Consa I may be wrong this is TWO YEARS AGO I am talking about, but I seem to remember a thread where the Dutch were being held up alongside the Aussies as being ahead of us on the bubble and likely to exhibit signs of falling in the near future ....