House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yokel

Hpc Dna

A few years back we had a protracted battle to get our deposit back at the end of a tenancy. We succeeded totally through taking out small claims proceedings and even got costs when the LL backed down. It was stressful - I got advice on here and elsewhere - but it was worth the fight in the end.

The young yokels watched all this going on.

The first born finished school, went to uni and is now engaged in her first tenancy deposit dispute. Keeps coming to me for how to word the letters etc.

So the `take no sh** from landlords` torch passes to a new generation!

I bet there would be a business opportunity for a `get your deposit back' service - taking a cut of any gain achieved over what LLs first say they will return. There must be hundreds of thousands in that position. Or if that is too mercenary an approach, how about a tenants association - a trade union type thing to lobby, provide expert legal advice and even representation.

Y

A few years back we had a protracted battle to get our deposit back at the end of a tenancy. We succeeded totally through taking out small claims proceedings and even got costs when the LL backed down

Back in the Bad Old Days, a tenant with the means to stand up to bullying was unusual. Add the determination to see it through, and you must've been a pretty rare case.

I bet there would be a business opportunity for a `get your deposit back' service - taking a cut of any gain achieved over what LLs first say they will return.

Pre-TDS I think that would've been a very good idea.

Since the TDS, I doubt it. The TDS lowers the bar for tenants who could previously be bullied at extremely low risk to the landlord.

Edited by porca misèria

Or if that is too mercenary an approach, how about a tenants association - a trade union type thing to lobby, provide expert legal advice and even representation.

Given the increasing proportion of tenants to owner occupiers, I reckon that even a political party reflecting the interests of all tenants might be in order.

Good luck to your daughter in her deposit dispute. :)

Given the increasing proportion of tenants to owner occupiers, I reckon that even a political party reflecting the interests of all tenants might be in order.

Being a tenant isn't a factor that unites anyone into a pressure group.

But more tenants getting the vote should register tenants as an issue with all the main parties. We've seen huge but all-too-slow improvements in conditions for tenants since the days of the Licence, and now there's growing pressure for more. It's no accident that the TDS was introduced by Labour and strengthened by the Coalition: all parties could see there was a problem and take action to improve the tenant's lot.

Meanwhile there have always been schemes to be seen to do something: give something to enough people to show action, and leave those missing out with hope of improvement in future. Once upon a time it was council houses, now it's schemes to 'buy', with a lot of variants having come and gone over the years. The ever-rising cost and hostile reaction to ever-bigger-mortgage schemes and "help to buy" should eventually provoke someone into rethinking schemes that rely on HPI.