House Price Crash Forum

Too Many Guitar Threads. What About The Ukulele?

HOLA441

One can, of course, tune any ukele as per a guitar (albeit selecting the tuning of only 4 of the 6 strings of a guitar) which, I imagine, would make the ukelele easier for someone like me who (sort of) plays guitar.

Not many people seem to know that standard ukulele tuning already is like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar (relatively, although the low string is from a different octave...BUT the notes are the same which is all that counts which is why the chord shapes are so familar)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Not many people seem to know that standard ukulele tuning already is like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar (relatively, although the low string is from a different octave...BUT the notes are the same which is all that counts which is why the chord shapes are so familar)

Wow, I never knew that, thanks

I think that I too will take up the ukelele then. Seriously.

HOLA443

I am actually very good friends with one of the orchestral community's leading bassoonists. It's a beautiful instrument to look at and listen to. ****** knows how you play it.

You have to blow in one end, and strut about a bit! ;)

HOLA444

I didn't know that! I thought they were tuned like a mandolin! :blink:

HOLA445

Yes, I'm looking for something around the 60 quid mark.

One reason I'm looking is that my right wrist is a bit stiff after having a stroke about 3 months ago...nothing to write home about though.

Also I have plenty of free time (sickness pay!) which should continue for about another another 3 months at around 7 hours a week.

Strangely I noticed that in the 48 hours of having a stroke I couldn't speak but I counld sing! Strange that.

I'll go into town tomorrow to check out ukeleles before buying on line (big surprise)

Btw, the wife is always working (nights) , our neighbours are both deaf (85)....just the cat to worry about!

Hey! Council dweller, how about this this on fleabay for 28 quid shipped!

Mini 21" Zebrawood 4 String Ukelele Homeland Laminated Acoustic Instrument

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390556332126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Chinese-made, but according to a ukuleleunderground thread, it's as good as any starter soprano and better than most.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?74405-anyone-heard-of-hanknn-ukulele

Looks good too.

I just snagged one myself.

HOLA446

Hey! Council dweller, how about this this on fleabay for 28 quid shipped!

Mini 21" Zebrawood 4 String Ukelele Homeland Laminated Acoustic Instrument

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390556332126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Chinese-made, but according to a ukuleleunderground thread, it's as good as any starter soprano and better than most.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?74405-anyone-heard-of-hanknn-ukulele

Looks good too.

I just snagged one myself.

Thanks for that....

I'm currently looking at the Brunswick at 39.99 +PP on Amazon. There's someones Video review beneath, it sounds pretty good and is made of mahogany. Brunswick has left a slighly larger footprint than Homeland/Hanknn from what I can see. All Chinese?

What do you think?

The reviewer also gives advice on ordering a tuner.

HOLA447

Thanks for that....

I'm currently looking at the Brunswick at 39.99 +PP on Amazon. There's someones Video review beneath, it sounds pretty good and is made of mahogany. Brunswick has left a slighly larger footprint than Homeland/Hanknn from what I can see. All Chinese?

What do you think?

The reviewer also gives advice on ordering a tuner.

The Brunswick will be laminate at that price. I've heard they are decent, but not seen any actual reviews.

I forgot to mention the Chinese one comes with aquila strings, which is unusual for starter ukes.

HOLA448

The Brunswick will be laminate at that price. I've heard they are decent, but not seen any actual reviews.

I forgot to mention the Chinese one comes with aquila strings, which is unusual for starter ukes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brunswick-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-Strings/dp/B002BJHPJW

Yes, I realise that (it's laminated mahogany)

Did you see the review I mentioned?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brunswick-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-Strings/dp/B002BJHPJW

Yes, I realise that (it's laminated mahogany)

Did you see the review I mentioned?

Missed it! Yes, it looks good from the buyers.

I meant that I hadn't seen much discussion on the uke forums, but that might just be that it is a uk brand.

They are pretty much all made in the far East now (like everything else!)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Is there a bigger one available with lower notes? Something like a Jazz Bass? :huh:

Aiui, There are 4 types in ascending order of size , soprano, concert, tenor and baritone. The baritone sounds more guitar-like, is tuned as the highest 4 strings of a guitar. The other 3 are usually tuned gcea, with the g either an octave higher than might be expected (standard, high g) or in sequence (low g). The soprano delivers the bright percussive sound most people associate with ukes.

Concerts and tenors are mellower and more melodic, at the expense of portability.

I have also seen an electric bass uke with strings like elastic bands; not sure how that's tuned.

HOLA4414

Aiui, There are 4 types in ascending order of size , soprano, concert, tenor and baritone. The baritone sounds more guitar-like, is tuned as the highest 4 strings of a guitar. The other 3 are usually tuned gcea, with the g either an octave higher than might be expected (standard, high g) or in sequence (low g). The soprano delivers the bright percussive sound most people associate with ukes.

Concerts and tenors are mellower and more melodic, at the expense of portability.

I have also seen an electric bass uke with strings like elastic bands; not sure how that's tuned.

I only have six fingers! I will stick to the guitar, thank you! But now you got me interested! :o

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

you can do without a tuner if you have youTube (and a reasonable ear):

there are also free phone apps that will do the job, eg.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.UkuleleTuner.Think

Thanks again mate.

Youtube I have, reasonable ear I've no idea. I'll stick to something electronic.

Has your ukelele arrived yet?

HOLA4418

Thought it was gCEA same at the top four strings of a guitar going from thick to thin at the 5th fret ie DGBE at the nut. But this may be just one tuning as there are different types of ukulele like singing voices. So a standard G chord shape on a uke is a C chord and a D is F etc.

Yes, but if you explain it like that then people get confused. If you just tell them to play the same chords they've always played on the guitar's bottom 4 strings on the uke then they know where to start. Relative tuning is the same. As long as they are playing solo. The "G-string" ( :P ) always confuses guitarists too being from another octave that they may expect.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

no. slow boat from china. i expect it will be a couple of weeks. i'll let you know when i get it.

i did have a plunk on a old Martin today though. that was absolutely lovely. and out of my price range.

So, I'm thinking about a Brunswick 'concert' now. (47 quid)....well it's only the price of a fish supper!

I have long arms, fairly small hands. Should work ok for me...? Should still be able to get it into the

back of my Serena van.

HOLA4421

So, I'm thinking about a Brunswick 'concert' now. (47 quid)....well it's only the price of a fish supper!

I have long arms, fairly small hands. Should work ok for me...? Should still be able to get it into the

back of my Serena van.

a concert is only a little bit bigger than a soprano, so you should be ok. although i have little hands too and prefer a soprano for ease of stretching..I also like the less taut strings.

Just to throw another curve ball, if you can stretch to 135-150 notes, check out the Ortega solid mahoganey ukes. I tried their ru10 soprano and it's amazing value.

btw. Despite the thread subtitle, you do have to learn "when i'm cleaning windows" even if you don't like george formby. it's the law.

here are the chords in C

pretty easy. The only tricky change there is Ab7. The easiest way to play this is to slide G7 up one fret and do the g string with your thumb.

(it's all in the strumming).

=====================

[C] i go cleaning windows to [D7] earn an honest bob

[G] To a nosey parker it’s an interesting [C] job

(Note that you only strum the C at the end once… you hold that G for quite a while)

[C] It’s a job that [C7] just suits me

A [F] window cleaner [Fm] you will be

You’d [C] be surprised the [A7] things I see

[Ab7] When I’m cleanin’ [C] windows

[E7] In my profession I work hard

[A7] But I never stop

I’ll [D7] climb this blinking ladder

‘Til I [G] get right to the [G7] top

=====================

... and the verses:

Now I go cleanin' windows to earn an honest bob

For a nosy parker it's an interestin' job