House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

People & Lessons In Sports/pastimes

Why don't people get more ? Men seem to be the worst as well.

I go swimming as part of triathlon and have recently had about ten small group lessons. Very good value for money and the difference it makes is incredible. Same goes for golf or all manner of other sports.

Some of the people you see at the pool every day doing length after length have the most horrendous strokes. 4-5 lessons would make a massive difference. I see many people who i wouldn't even describe as 'swimming'. They just flap various parts of their body about and move very slowly towards the opposite end.

One of the burds in my class got talking to a bloke we see every week who has one of the worst strokes you will ever see. She told him we got lessons and he should maybe join as They are so useful.

He actually laughed and said 'lessons ? Me ? Why ?'

Complete delusion. Wouldn't even consider it.

The fact that even the best golfers and swimmers get 'lessons' on more or less a daily basis doesn't appear to sink in with these people.

I just don't get it for something you spend so much time doing.

Cost is really minimal considering the time and effort put in.

All very strange.

That's really not a bad idea. I can swim, but I know I'm not a very good swimmer and my technique is probably all wrong. It's certainly something I'd consider; I could take my lad along too. I've always been meaning to go swimming with him more, and having lessons to go to would be a good incentive.

Aye - just recently realised swimming really is 99% technique.

My local council run pools do a great deal. Get a block booking of improver lessons and you get swim membership included for free.

So 12 lessons for bout £70 - whilst just getting a swim membership for a month costs £29 each month.

Actually works out cheaper to get the lessons :blink::D

wee groups of 4-5 and they cordon off half the pool. Almost like private lessons. Highly recommended.

Got my stroke rate for each 25m down from bout 28 to under 20. I can even do a single length in about 16 strokes now. Just technique nothing else.

Give it a go - i don't think you will regret it.

Good point. That's now on my to do list (and I tend to do those things, might take a year but I do them).

Depsite the fact that I used to be a beach lifeguard, qualification for which included a timed swimming test, I am conscious that whilst I may be a strong swimmer (so would be fine in a rescue) my technique is rubbish and passed that test by the skin of my teeth because I was very very fit.

The last time I had any swimming training would have been at junior school.

I can't even do a crawl :ph34r: that's first on my list.

Aye - just recently realised swimming really is 99% technique.

My local council run pools do a great deal. Get a block booking of improver lessons and you get swim membership included for free.

So 12 lessons for bout £70 - whilst just getting a swim membership for a month costs £29 each month.

Actually works out cheaper to get the lessons :blink::D

wee groups of 4-5 and they cordon off half the pool. Almost like private lessons. Highly recommended.

Got my stroke rate for each 25m down from bout 28 to under 20. I can even do a single length in about 16 strokes now. Just technique nothing else.

Give it a go - i don't think you will regret it.

Yes swimming is mostly good technique. A few years ago I did a local triathlon. Super fit I was about 10th from last on the swim out of approx 150 entrants, 1st on the bike split and 1st on the run, and 4th overall. Fat grandads and grandma's were killing me on the swim. I am obviously a terrible swimmer.

Yeah I keep putting this off but I want to get a better swimming technique. I'll never be Phelps but feel sure I could be a lot better.

You mention the number of strokes per 25m is down, what about the time?

I can't get below 44s for a length of the 50m pool where I go (no dive), this is poor for someone of my build even at my age(185cm, massive hands and feet) That's busting a gut, for cruising speed it's more than a minute. Cr4p.

However, many sports lessons are rubbish, so for your general point it depends a bit on the lesson....

Yes swimming is mostly good technique. A few years ago I did a local triathlon. Super fit I was about 10th from last on the swim out of approx 150 entrants, 1st on the bike split and 1st on the run, and 4th overall. Fat grandads and grandma's were killing me on the swim. I am obviously a terrible swimmer.

Aye that's why i got lessons. Was told its the easiest way to improve your tri time wit just technique and no extra effort.

Ps you must be pretty impressive on a bike and running :o

What was your run time out of interest.

Yeah I keep putting this off but I want to get a better swimming technique. I'll never be Phelps but feel sure I could be a lot better.

You mention the number of strokes per 25m is down, what about the time?

I can't get below 44s for a length of the 50m pool where I go (no dive), this is poor for someone of my build even at my age(185cm, massive hands and feet) That's busting a gut, for cruising speed it's more than a minute. Cr4p.

However, many sports lessons are rubbish, so for your general point it depends a bit on the lesson....

Only really started swimming proper head in the water front crawl 18 months ago. Really just concentrating on technique rather than time at present. I am about a minute too for 50m if doing 750m (tri distance)

I do open water swimming up in the pentland hills near Edinburgh now. Just open 15 minutes for 750 open water.

Two mins faster than last year with similar fitness level.

You could prob slash your times by even getting 4 or 5 lessons.

I am concentrating on strokes just now. Less means i am more efficient = better technique.

Its just keeping it up for long distances i find hard !!

I find top triathletes most impressive.

They have the bodies of cyclists or runners (generally very slim - wee shoulders) yet manage to swim at a pace you would expect of someone with a 'good' swimming body (big wide shoulders, long body and wee legs)

Their technique must be near perfect.

I don't swim much any more - chlorine causes sinus problems sadly. But I was a late learner (didn't actually learn to swim until 16). About a decade later I got really into it - but could only do doggy paddle (and I was doing 1 mile of doggy paddle swims in the evenings).

Fortunately, a house mate was a lifeguard and he offered to give me a couple of lessons. Blimey what a revelation doing front crawl was!

Well, worth getting lessons.

You could prob slash your times by even getting 4 or 5 lessons.

The law of dwindling returns.

IMO if you do anything a lot it is worthwhile having a few lessons. Maybe you do it to an amateur level, but still a few lessons might give you some pointers that will make the whole thing more enjoyable and if they tell you stuff that you dont want to do or you decide that you want to carry on as before what have you lost ? A few quid.

That said, the more lessons you have the less return you get from each one. Eventually after you have had a few you know what to do, then it is just a matter of convincing your body to do it.

The law of dwindling returns also applies to buying sports stuff. There is a key point at which the amount you spend is equal to the amount of benefit you get from the kit. After that you can spend more and more (often hugely more) and not get any real benefit out of it.

I've found in life that if you are going to use something a lot then it is worthwhile getting something of good quality. if you don't know whether you are going to use it a lot you can always buy something crap first, then go for the good stuff one you know you are going to use it. Seems to work for me.

Aye - unless you want to go at it hard core - you will get to a point where you realise you have enough drills and an idea of technique to do it yourself and still improve.

As for chlorine - i get similar - so swim with a nose clip and am moving to open water swimming.

Really quite invigorating and you don't have to worry about people annoying you, chlorine and all the other hassles of pool swimming.

This thread does beg the question, would you employ ccc as a sex coach?

:lol:

I fear i couldn't charge too much.

Sometimes people aren't bothered by doing something to the best that it can be done - they just enjoy doing it.

A lot of people you see trudging up and down the pool are doing so purely to enjoy doing just that - with no intention of triathlons. I cycle a lot; on a bike that's not really well set up and, probably, with pi55 poor technique. But I don't care; I just like clocking up a few miles.

Sometimes people aren't bothered by doing something to the best that it can be done - they just enjoy doing it.

A lot of people you see trudging up and down the pool are doing so purely to enjoy doing just that - with no intention of triathlons. I cycle a lot; on a bike that's not really well set up and, probably, with pi55 poor technique. But I don't care; I just like clocking up a few miles.

This is true. I am a pretty crap runner but I enjoy it.

Someone I know plays squash. I don't know much about squash, but he says he plays by whacking the ball around really hard. Apparently this can get you only so far.

He went for a couple of lessons and has been shown the error of his ways, even down to how he should hold the racquet. problem is now he has to go back quite a few steps to unlearn the old stuff so he can move forwards. He's not sure he wants to do this ... fair enough - but its an informed choice.

There's another element to learning about your favourite sport/pastime - injury prevention. In your 20s, you can get away with an awful lot. Do the same in your 40s though - and you could be sucking on weeks or months away from the sport. Throughout my teens, 20s and most of my thirties - I just went out for a run 3-4 times a week and up to 1/2 marathon. No prep, warm up or anything - and never an injury either. Unfortunately I can't get away with that anymore. I had my first running injury at 38 - and it was a massive learning curve to get into new habits to prevent a reoccurrence.

I would like some darts lessons, in the pub, over a few pints! :huh:

Guest eight

That's really not a bad idea. I can swim, but I know I'm not a very good swimmer and my technique is probably all wrong. It's certainly something I'd consider; I could take my lad along too. I've always been meaning to go swimming with him more, and having lessons to go to would be a good incentive.

I can't swim. I hate being in or around water and can't imagine a worse way of spending my time than swimming. So far I haven't drowned so I'm not unduly concerned.

I can't swim. I hate being in or around water and can't imagine a worse way of spending my time than swimming. So far I haven't drowned so I'm not unduly concerned.

Non-swimmers are less likely to drown than those who can swim. Sounds counter-intuitive but non-swimmers sensibly stay away from water.

I don't even float! Other people have to flush the lavvy for me, as I am too scared! :blink:

I don't even float! Other people have to flush the lavvy for me, as I am too scared! :blink:

I know somebody like that, they can sit on the bottom of the pool!

I am talking about someone who does the pastime on a regular basis.

I see people who go every day - goggles etc - length after length.

For most i just think they have no idea of how bad their technique really is.

They can go up and down 30 lengths = they are a good swimmer.

For most this is not true.

A few lessons and they could put the same effort in - take the same time - but go 50% further.

If you were heading out on your bike would you not like to know how to go further and see more nice scenery - for little or no extra effort ?

I would. Doesn't have to do with planning a race or anything. Just common sense really.

There is a bloke at my pool who goes all the time. Cap, goggles, head under water and all.

I counted his strokes - 38 per 25m length. Horrendous.

I don't for a second doubt he would be ecstatic at the results of just a few lessons. He probably doesn't think he needs them though.

I just find it very strange.

I am talking about someone who does the pastime on a regular basis.

I see people who go every day - goggles etc - length after length.

For most i just think they have no idea of how bad their technique really is.

They can go up and down 30 lengths = they are a good swimmer.

For most this is not true.

A few lessons and they could put the same effort in - take the same time - but go 50% further.

If you were heading out on your bike would you not like to know how to go further and see more nice scenery - for little or no extra effort ?

I would. Doesn't have to do with planning a race or anything. Just common sense really.

There is a bloke at my pool who goes all the time. Cap, goggles, head under water and all.

I counted his strokes - 38 per 25m length. Horrendous.

I don't for a second doubt he would be ecstatic at the results of just a few lessons. He probably doesn't think he needs them though.

I just find it very strange.

It's a good idea, regular lessons. Technique is all with swimming. Getting those hands in the water with minimal turbulence. It starts to just feel right when the technique improves.

The Commie has a good vantage point to watch people's techniques. The one I hate to watch is the breaststroke kick where the swimmer turns their hips and twists their whole body when kicking. Or the freestyle above water head turner, beloved technique of jakies. There are some poeple whose bodies seemed to be permanently shaped by their poor technique/single stroke sessions too, eg one arm slightly unbalanced and the muscles have developed to reinforce it over the years.

That said, when you see someone with good technique, it's a joy to watch. The just cut through with barely a splash.

As with most things in life, most people just don't care, despite the fact, as you say, they would get much more enjoyment from it.

That said, I'm crap at powerful kicking.

I am a 3 Hcp golfer. Have one session a week with a PGA professional

If nothing else, for maintenance

If this isn't a daft question tbf, does your proficiency at the day job make you more likely to be a good golfer? Are you any good at snooker too? 3 handicap is very good indeed, well done. Has it been lower in the past?