Affordable Housing To Be Built

HOLA441
HOLA442

£3bn to build 165,000 new affordable homes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23074245

How much is that per house?

Is that affordable?

18K a house.

They will built them for 18K and sell them for 180K.

Or will the money be used to gift people ( and by that I mean building company execs and bankers ) a whopping deposit so they can pay an unaffordable price for a house ?

Welcome to rip off Britain.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA443

18K a house.

Or will the money be used to gift people ( and by that I mean building company execs and bankers ) a whopping deposit so they can pay an unaffordable price for a house ?

no chance those houses can be built for 18k each average

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

no chance those houses can be built for 18k each average

If the land is taken from the council and they are build en-masse then I think that is easilly achievable.

However, I suspect this is just another government deposit guarantee, so they subsidize someone paying 2007 peak prices for a shoe box flat that they can only afford with interest rates at 0.5%.

I hope I'm wrong.

HOLA447

What is affordable?....what is affordable to some is unaffordable to another.

Someone was telling me that not that long ago they built some 'affordable' homes on an estate nearby.....these homes were snapped up and promptly resold not long afterwards at non affordable prices....there are no longer any 'affordable' homes on that estate. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Why not?

Are you expecting luxury? They won't be.

Prefabbed blocks of apartments could probably be built pretty cheaply.

Installing electrics, plumbing, possible gas fitting, installing bathroom, fitted kitchen of some sort, painting and decorating, general fixtures and fittings. Then there's the initial ground workings and building the structure, roof fitting and roofing costs. LABOUR costs!? Hooking up all services. Initial clearing of the site and so on. What sort of housing will be built? most affordable housing I see about is 1-3 bed housing estate type buildings. OK building a big block of flats may come closer down to 18k, but it couldn't be done unless you could get builders/workers to work for free.

HOLA4411

18K a house.

18181?

3 000 000 000 / 165 000 =

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Look on any of the numerous kit home/ residential log cabin websites. Two bed homes can be had for that sort of money (£18K). Say allow another £10K for siting and connecting up and you could really build habitable properties for well under £30K each. This is what really annoys me - if THEY really wanted to provided plentiful warm homes for people, THEY could do at next to no cost if the land was made available from councils and government departments (MOD "owns" loads of the stuff around my part of Wiltshire).

I would happily live in a warm modern kit house or log cabin affair, and so would many others waiting on housing waiting lists.

HOLA4415

Look on any of the numerous kit home/ residential log cabin websites. Two bed homes can be had for that sort of money (£18K). Say allow another £10K for siting and connecting up and you could really build habitable properties for well under £30K each. This is what really annoys me - if THEY really wanted to provided plentiful warm homes for people, THEY could do at next to no cost if the land was made available from councils and government departments (MOD "owns" loads of the stuff around my part of Wiltshire).

I would happily live in a warm modern kit house or log cabin affair, and so would many others waiting on housing waiting lists.

I think that 'they' would rather you paid them your salary via rent than 'them' allow you to live rent free.

Yes, it would be easy for them to grant you planning. I estimate that the average 1/2 acre plot with planning would be somewhere in the region of £40k based on comparisons with Ireland.

If you wanted to shove 8 houses per acre, then you would be looking at land cost of £10k per plot.

HOLA4416

It all boils down to those who control the planning system are the ones who are stealing your money via rentier capitalism.

It would be fairly easy to make the monopoly board bigger by adding a sheet of paper and drawing some squares, the problem is the people that control the game won't allow it because it will devalue their squares.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Affordable housing used to mean social rented housing

Isn't this just ab £18k per house subsidy to build HA housing with slightly lower rents than in the PRS?

And it shoudl again/

As someone pointed out....as soon as someone buys an affordable house, they will just try and flog it on at an un-affordable price.

Maggie Thatcher was wrong.....we need council houses and lots of them.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

What is affordable?....what is affordable to some is unaffordable to another.

Someone was telling me that not that long ago they built some 'affordable' homes on an estate nearby.....these homes were snapped up and promptly resold not long afterwards at non affordable prices....there are no longer any 'affordable' homes on that estate. ;)

The term "Affordable housing" always amuses as by implication everything else is unaffordable therefore nobody can possibly have enough money or obtain enough debt to buy it. :blink:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I was just checking to see what a billion was these days in Treasury / Parliamentary parlance. Apparently it's the American billion, one thousand million. Divided by 165,000 that is indeed 18,181 (and 81 recurring).

So, it's a £18,181grant towards the cost of building each house on average. The total to be doled out over three years after 2015. It's actually a smaller sum than the present grant of £22,000 per home on average under the current affordable homes programme.

Details here http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/finance/treasurys-%C2%A33bn-for-165000-affordable-homes/6527537.article amongst other places.

Nobody's going to be building houses for £18,000 each, they'll be getting less of a contribution than they do currently, and they won't be getting it until after 2015, oh, and over three years, and if whoever wins the election decides to carry on with the same plan.

HOLA4424

You've all forgotten again so I'll remind you.

£24,500

The the average per-unit costs of "normal" new build "properties" in the UK.

I believe it's based on the average mixed development... So houses some flats, with partial prefabrication the way most new estates are built.

£24,500. That's it. The rest of the "cost" is land.

And don't go on about housebuilding profits, they are mostly on the verge of bankruptcy.

HOLA4425

£3bn to build 165,000 new affordable homes

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-23074245

How much is that per house?

Is that affordable?

"£28bn for road improvements, including £10bn for essential maintenance" are they not going to privatise the roads?

"850 miles of railway to be electrified as part of £30bn rail investment" did we not sell the tracks so that any investment was carried out by private companies?