House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RichB

One Rule For Us And Another For Them.

If it was my child I'd be screaming for blood; certainly seeing lawyers.

I can't believe the handler hasn't even been suspended.

He apparently had the dog on a leash, so the animal can't really be blamed.

Accidents happen. Only way for this not to happen is to have no dogs in the police. Of course, the negative impacts of that would be hidden from a single easy story.

Now, if this was happening evey week, then we have a problem. This is the first one I can remember in 20 years. No issue. Move on please.

Accidents happen. Only way for this not to happen is to have no dogs in the police. Of course, the negative impacts of that would be hidden from a single easy story.

Now, if this was happening evey week, then we have a problem. This is the first one I can remember in 20 years. No issue. Move on please.

nonsense. the handler screwed-up royally. he should at least have been disciplined.

the suitability of that dog for police work is also suspect, if it lashes out while on the leash.

would you take the same view if he were an armed officer and had shot the child?

oh! i forgot, that's already happened to somebody's child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

no prosecutions or suspensions there either.

I've got news for you. Since the Health and Safety at Work Act came in, no accidents are allowed to happen. Every mishap is somebody's fault. That's the law.

The police should know the law. I hope the parents sue them into the middle of next week.

I've got news for you. Since the Health and Dafety at Work Act came in, no accidents are allowed to happen. Every mishap is somebody's fault. That's the law.

The police should know the law. I hope the parents sue them into the middle of next week.

That's an accidental spelling.....or is it? :D

Without knowing the exact details of the incident it's impossible to comment.

For all we know the child might have run at the dog with a fake gun or something. Or a pointed stick. It could have be screaming it's head off or jumped out at it from a hiding place etc etc.

For all we know the child might have run at the dog with a fake gun or something. Or a pointed stick. It could have be screaming it's head off or jumped out at it from a hiding place etc etc.

when police take a potentially dangerous animal onto somebody's property, they have a duty of care.

end of story.

the handler is at fault.

when police take a potentially dangerous animal onto somebody's property, they have a duty of care.

end of story.

the handler is at fault.

Yes, obviously there is fault in that respect. I'm thinking more of the dog really. I don't think it would be fair to put it down or blame it before we've heard what happened. It might have a previously perfect service record.

You're right.

The police should have shot him in the face. Eleven times.

Edit: I'm just off to tell the children not to run, shout, wave sticks etc in our garden in case a police dog bites them.

Yes, obviously there is fault in that respect. I'm thinking more of the dog really. I don't think it would be fair to put it down or blame it before we've heard what happened. It might have a previously perfect service record.

As, potentially, with every other case of a dog biting a kids face off.

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2013/04/10/jack-russell-killed-newborn-baby-in-cot/

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/06/20/child-needed-stitches-after-walsall-dog-bite-jury-told/

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/10509484.Toddler_taken_to_hospital_with_facial_injuries_after_dog_bite/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10138129/Owners-could-face-court-if-dog-bites-child-fetching-a-ball.html

The dog handler should be put down.

The dog should be retired early on full pension and extra benefits.

The child's parents should be bugged and all their meetings with lawyers secretly recorded.

Sometimes sh1t happens. You can cry and scream about it and create all sorts of problems by trying to eliminate it or just accept it every now and then. A dog is an animal and no matter how well-trained no animal is completely predictable (especially one that's trained to not just sit there dociley). You also have to accept that people will make mistakes from time to time. 100% safe is impossible to achieve and trying to get there causes more harm than good. Until I hear anything to the contrary I'll stick with the view that this sort of thing will happen very, very occasionally if you have police dogs so you have to decide which is the lesser evil - incredibly rare occurences like this or no police dogs.

Sometimes sh1t happens. You can cry and scream about it and create all sorts of problems by trying to eliminate it or just accept it every now and then. A dog is an animal and no matter how well-trained no animal is completely predictable (especially one that's trained to not just sit there dociley). You also have to accept that people will make mistakes from time to time. 100% safe is impossible to achieve and trying to get there causes more harm than good. Until I hear anything to the contrary I'll stick with the view that this sort of thing will happen very, very occasionally if you have police dogs so you have to decide which is the lesser evil - incredibly rare occurences like this or no police dogs.

check the thread title again.

nobody is talking about banning police dogs

just the handler being held responsibile for his animal,

just as a civilian dog owner would be obliged to do, under the law.

you try telling a judge that "sh!t happens" when your dog bites a child.

the question here is why the police are not held to the same standards?

the question here is why the police not held to the same standards?

Duh! Because they're above the law. :)

I guess is the difference is that the police dog is trained, and expected to attack under certain circumstances. Police usage of them has more in common with guns, than private ownership of dogs as pets.

Hard to say what the appropriate outcome should be without knowing all of the facts. I'm leaning towards the handler being at fault at first glance though.

the question here is why the police are not held to the same standards?

A Policeman is a civilian, and he is held to the same standards as anyone else.

Hard to say what the appropriate outcome should be without knowing all of the facts. I'm leaning towards the handler being at fault at first glance though.

The question to be asked should be "Did the handler follow the procedures that he had been taught as the safe, correct and legal way of doing his unavoidably dangerous job"

If the answer is no, prosecute him.

If the answer is yes, then ask if the people who designed and sanctioned the procedures and processes that he followed were negligent.

If the answer is no, then thats just one of those risks in life, like crossing a road.

If the answer is yes, then prosecute the people people who designed and sanctioned the procedures and processes. This is what should have happened following de Menzes killing. I honestly cant blame the officers who fired the fatal shots as I cannot doubt that they thought they were saving many innocent lives by taking one evil life. Lets face it, no way they just thought "lets shoot this bloke for sh!ts and giggles". The people responsible are the people who instigated and designed Op Kratos - it is that and them that cost an innocent man his life.

The question to be asked should be "Did the handler follow the procedures that he had been taught as the safe, correct and legal way of doing his unavoidably dangerous job"

If the answer is no, prosecute him.

If the answer is yes, then ask if the people who designed and sanctioned the procedures and processes that he followed were negligent.

If the answer is no, then thats just one of those risks in life, like crossing a road.

If the answer is yes, then prosecute the people people who designed and sanctioned the procedures and processes. This is what should have happened following de Menzes killing. I honestly cant blame the officers who fired the fatal shots as I cannot doubt that they thought they were saving many innocent lives by taking one evil life. Lets face it, no way they just thought "lets shoot this bloke for sh!ts and giggles". The people responsible are the people who instigated and designed Op Kratos - it is that and them that cost an innocent man his life.

i vas only following orders.

Couldn't we have police hamsters or budgies instead...?

Or seals. They'd be f***king ace them. Slapping criminals with their big flippers. And kids love them.

Aye, that's the way forward. Police seals - you heard it here first folks...!

EDIT: They could also easily be trained to approximate the sound of a siren and balance a ball containing a flashing blue light on the end of their noses in emergency situations.

What's not to like here...?

XYY

Why did the kid need two operations for a dog bite ....I have a large scar across my right hand that still looks nasty years later from a dog bite and I never got any operation and I had tendon damage as well .....it is hard to comment on these things unless you witness the behavior of the said kid ....cable theft ..council housing ..toss in a few chavs and a police dog and you have a great recipe for a story like this !!!!!!

Why did the kid need two operations for a dog bite ....I have a large scar across my right hand that still looks nasty years later from a dog bite and I never got any operation and I had tendon damage as well .....it is hard to comment on these things unless you witness the behavior of the said kid ....cable theft ..council housing ..toss in a few chavs and a police dog and you have a great recipe for a story like this !!!!!!

You could also toss in some violent thugs who shoot people in the face. Eleven times.

You could also toss in some violent thugs who shoot people in the face. Eleven times.

Yeh the same people you will be phoning like a lost lamb the second someone steals from you or does you wrong!!!!! I was brought up to hate the police in Glasgow but over the years I have come to understand the shit they take from the ever growing scum(chav) element of society.....if I had to pick between scum and a pig the pig will win every time