House Price Crash Forum
R K

Cuts For Serfs, 5% Pay Rise For Rentier Monarch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23065599

The Queen will receive a 5% rise in her income after the Crown Estate, from which she is paid, reported an increase in its profits.

The Sovereign Grant, which funds the Queen's spending as Head of State, will rise in 2014 from £36.1m to £37.89m.

The grant is calculated as a percentage of profits from the Crown Estate, which includes properties such as Windsor Park and covers most UK coastline.

It announced on Thursday its profits had risen 5% to £252.6m

Alison Nimmo, chief executive of the Crown Estate, said: "[Thursday's] results are a ringing endorsement of the quality of our portfolio, our active asset management and our highly skilled team.

"Despite challenging market conditions, we are well placed as a business with a clear vision and investment strategy, great partners and a strong balance sheet."

The Crown Estate's urban portfolio, which includes large parts of London's West End, brought in a total return of 10.6% on assets that are now worth £5.9bn.

Outside of London, the Crown Estate owns 15 retail parks in various cities, including Liverpool, Swansea, Slough and Nottingham.

It also owns shopping centres in Worcester, Oxford and Exeter as well as offices in Birmingham, Manchester and Cambridge.

Its properties outside London are now worth £1.6bn.

Good year for rentiers it seems. If you own big chunks land in prime retail locations and agricultural heartland.

Could do with a fracking bonanza to really give her rents a turbo boost.

The real reason why this country is fixated with increasing the value of land/property.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-23065599

Good year for rentiers it seems. If you own big chunks land in prime retail locations and agricultural heartland.

Could do with a fracking bonanza to really give her rents a turbo boost.

The real reason why this country is fixated with increasing the value of land/property.

The profit from the Crown Estates is paid directly to the Treasury. The Queen forego's her income from it in exchange for a salary from the State.

Yes its rentierism but you could say we make a profit from it.

An unelected head of state endorsed by an imaginary being in a 21st Century "democracy"? :lol:

While I agree that it's laughable, so far humans haven't done too well in implementing something better. Fancy having President Blair as head of state?

While I agree that it's laughable, so far humans haven't done too well in implementing something better. Fancy having President Blair as head of state?

Yep. At least the Queen has some loyalty to the country, whereas politicians would rip what they could out as presidents. How about President Brown!? :o

Yep. At least the Queen has some loyalty to the country, whereas politicians would rip what they could out as presidents. How about President Brown!? :o

Well of course the 'Royals' have loyalty to the country it's the golden goose that just keeps on giving!

Where else could they take all the land and get everybody else to rent it back from them with zero downside risk!

Sounds like a public sector worker in a council house.

Because Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, Soliders, Policemen et al don;'t do anything, do they?

Thanks for the reminder! I had actually forgotten.

;)

That aside, this does seem rather foolish of her maj.

Edited by tomandlu

I'll never understand this argument. Isn't the point that you have to vote them in and then you can vote them out if you don't want them!!!

also, the queen has no loyalty to you AT ALL. She is really the elitist head - the head on the boil of hereditary Peerages and land-grabbers. She wouldn't let you walk on her carpet.

also, why do we need a head of state?

And what use is this 'loyalty'?

I'll never understand this argument. Isn't the point that you have to vote them in and then you can vote them out if you don't want them!!!

also, the queen has no loyalty to you AT ALL. She is really the elitist head - the head on the boil of hereditary Peerages and land-grabbers. She wouldn't let you walk on her carpet.

also, why do we need a head of state?

+1 Exactly, all the royals actually represent is yet another layer of unwanted parasitic life that infests British society along with bankers, estate agents, chuggers, council outreach diversity officers etc.

I sometimes think people actually want to be treated like mindless little serfs and want to believe we need these people. :rolleyes:

+1 Exactly, all the royals actually represent is yet another layer of unwanted parasitic life that infests British society along with bankers, estate agents, chuggers, council outreach diversity officers etc.

I sometimes think people actually want to be treated like mindless little serfs and want to believe we need these people. :rolleyes:

Chimps look up to the chimps further up the hierarchy.They obey them, imitate them.

That's the way it works, the only way to change it is to modify the species.

If genetic modification begins, somehow I doubt if that will all be benign. Fancy life as an Epsilon?

Chimps look up to the chimps further up the hierarchy.They obey them, imitate them.

Well I seriously hope that the serf women of a certain age don't go for the Carmichael cut - the queen's severe combed back tight perm helmet worthy of an oap home( I think he might be the former comedian from the 1950s).

In any event I would not take advice from this hairdresser about cuts for serfs........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379692/The-Queens-stylist-says-older-women-make-big-mistake-cutting-hair-short-bid-look-young.html

Edited by crashmonitor

Because Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, Soliders, Policemen et al don;'t do anything, do they?

Yes they apparently do something sometimes, but looking at the state of the NHS........its not often !

Teachers....in the state system .....yep true quality worth every £1

Soldiers, yes good point.

Police, well, I guess if they weren't occupied with paperwork we'd see some value.

"et al" presumably the remaining non-productive parasites wasting OUR tax.

This is such a stupid argument. We had a president brown. We had a president Blair, and we have a president Cameron. They have all the powers, and perform the same role as a president, they just use a different name.

All the queen does is scrounge, steal, and lobby for other scroungers and theives.

For instance I believe that privatisation of many areas of our lives was done incorrectly and inefficiently. An individual wastes an incredible amount of time choosing things like electricity which has been completely obfuscated by the providers of that commodity (think financial services). The providers spend an awful amount of money encouraging switching and effecting it. What the government should have done is put electricity supply out to tender on behalf of all of us using their buying power and expert buyers to get better deals. Then put the billing system out to tender (like National Lottery) to effect bill payment. Everyone should be happier with cheaper bills and no time wasting.

They should do that with a few billion worth of council housing.

Heads of State aren't cheap, even elected ones:

Cost of the US Presidency

From the article:

"Robert Keith Gray, a former Eisenhower staffer, revealed that last year the US presidency cost American taxpayers $1.4 billion. Over the same period, the entire royal family cost British taxpayers about $57 million. There's nothing 'royal' about the current level of 'presidential perks': The Obama family costs taxpayers more than every European royal house put together."

This is a case in point related to 'social rents'.

Frankly I don't agree with any council housing because what tends to happen is it becomes a political football directly related to votes. Rents are depressed as part of that football game and leads to underinvestment in upkeep, quality and quantity....that is the heavy price for 'subsidised'. And the cost of those subsidies are hidden from view which is not good.

I would personally have mutuals running most of our housing supply charging market rents. Price and retention of profits would help produce the correct investment signals to the market.

(of course we need to liberalise our land markets too and even undertake land re-distribution from the 1066 thieves but they are separate issues B))

I think the point is 'cui bono'?

If rents are paid to the public purse for the use of land that is one thing.

If they are paid to the family of the hereditary Monarch for no other reason that they are the hereditary Monarch then I can't find an argue to support that.

Why does the Duke of Westminster own and earn rents on 300 acres of prime property in Mayfair & Kensington? Because his daddy gave it to him free of taxes in perpetuity.

We've now got another threee generations of white male hereditary rentier monarchs which takes us well beyond the end of this century.

Nothing can possibly change whilst this system obtains and it's futile to imagine that it could.