House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Ashes Thread

Agar was brilliant but Australia got very lucky with the 3rd umpire yesterday. Agar was stumped for not many IMO and Trott was not out, those two decisions have cost England at least 100 runs, probably more.

I think the Aussies have found someone who will become a real all-rounder though which is a huge advantage, there are so few of them.

Agar was brilliant but Australia got very lucky with the 3rd umpire yesterday. Agar was stumped for not many IMO and Trott was not out, those two decisions have cost England at least 100 runs, probably more.

I think the Aussies have found someone who will become a real all-rounder though which is a huge advantage, there are so few of them.

Indeed..

Bairstow and Bell to the rescue. Did I ever mention I like to live in a fantasy world?

Come on Belly!!!

Can barely stand refreshing Cricinfo at the moment.

*wish* we'd had Comton opening and Root at 6, Bairstow hasn't done badly but I do feel that Root would have done better there.

Come on Belly!!!

It's a big ask now, even if he wasn't so slow.

He needs to get at least a hundred, to be fair he hasn't done badly already, batting long is good on this pitch as it will only get drier and more up and down, but it would be nice if just once we could say his innings was the turning point.

Those 100 runs the 3rd umpire robbed us of look like costing us the match.

It's a big ask now, even if he wasn't so slow.

Talk about damning with faint praise!

Too slow?

What, when he’s scored as quickly as Cook and KP and at a stage of the day when the pitch has dried out and cut up more than when they were in?

..... it would be nice if just once we could say his innings was the turning point.

It’s not in his gift to be a turning point…his job is to grind it out, put as many runs on the board as he can and hope people stay with him, which is exactly what he’s done.

Prior probably thought he could be a “turning point”….or did he just do as usual, throw the bat at everything wide and hope people will think he’s the new Adam Gilchrist?

Bell will probably be out first ball after tea but he’s done a good job so far.

And no...I'm not his father :P

OK, Bell has done alright. If we lose the 3rd umpire will carry most of the responsibility.

To be clear, what I'd like from him is a matchwinning innings, match saving he's helped with quite a few times.

All the other batsmen have made a matchwinning innings at one time or another except Bairstow who hasn't been around long.

It would silence a lot of people who say he never does it when it matters most.

OK, Bell has done alright. If we lose the 3rd umpire will carry most of the responsibility.

To be clear, what I'd like from him is a matchwinning innings, match saving he's helped with quite a few times.

All the other batsmen have made a matchwinning innings at one time or another except Bairstow who hasn't been around long.

It would silence a lot of people who say he never does it when it matters most.

Yes...can't really argue with that although I think we can now forget about the 3rd umpire defence given Aleem Dar's missing of the Broad dismissal...unbelievably bad decision and Broad obviously comes from the "...face it out and don't walk..." camp!

Well done Broad for not walking! Do not give an inch to these aussies!!

Though he's a tool, in the circumstances (DRS) I agree. They've even been warned for trying to rough up the pitch for Swann as well, gentleman's cricket is a distant memory....

Could this be Bell's day? If he gets a ton and we win, we'll have to shut up about him. A very good innings even if that doesn't happen.

Regular correspondents to this thread will know i'm not exactly a Bell fan.

However, what he has done today is EXACTLY what he needs to do and rams my chuntering right back down my neck.

100 or not tomorrow, he did really well today.

Strauss has come out and said that was one of his best innings.

Given that Strauss was a team mate for about 8 years, and his captain for a fair bit of that, his words kind of bear me out re his "easy runs".

Today was anything but.

Well done mush.

More please.

Broad.

Major cahones.

That'll teach the Aussies to speculate with DRS.

This is classic hard fought Test match cricket at its very best.

Had to make do with Test Match Special yesterday, but I am rarely glued to the radio all day, and other than the bloody shipping forecast I didn't miss any commentary.

Henry Blofeld considered the action, the best first three days of a test match he had ever seen.

To grind out a whole day at 246-4 (326-6 for the innings) takes some doing, most teams would have capitulated after Prior had gone. By doing this the pitch is deteriorating and I am hoping it is more fifth day than fourth day by now.

TBh Agar made a bit of a mess of bowling, Swann should be able to make better use of foot holes and cracking.

If the Aussies can pull this off, I reckon a 4:1 chance against then they deserve to win this test.

The conditions are overcast, the pitch a bit of a wreck, and Trent Bridge is an intimidating Roman Amphitheatre. If Anderson and Swann can't skittle them quickly it suggests their powers are waning.

Two wickets or 95 runs now..........I would have settled for that at the start. 137 runs looked more doable with four wickets in hand IMO.

it was about 2 wickets and 90 odd runs in 2005...

I feel sick. :(

50:50 now. Got to go with Anderson and Broad at this stage. Looks like Finn has let them back into it twice now, throwing Agar some practise in the first. He will not get another look in this series.

Let's face it, without Jimmy we would have been screwed.

Which is a bit of a worry..

Same with their team, very little contribution from most of the team.........can only think of Haddin, Agar, Siddle and Hughes.

But yes most of the England team had stinkers too. The middle order looks terrible, not least Bairstow who just doesn't inspire confidence. Finn had an absolute shocker and really let them back into the match not once but twice from being 100/1 outsiders....0/10 doesn't really cover how badly he bowled.

There was bad luck too. Both Root and Trott were not out in the second innings. So no problem with Root....an unplayable yorker and a poor decision from the umpire.

A bit surprised by the fact day five was a sell out. I was hoping, living in Nottingham, that they might be on offer at a fiver each; after all the game could have been all over by 11.30. But no, people were prepared to pay seventy quid for half a days play max.

Not the case for the series against Australia in 2005, whence I got into day five for a fiver at Old Trafford on the Sunday. A full days play too, with Ponting holding the innings together and England just one wicket short by close in the evening.

Just goes to show we have ticket inflation now. I remember going as a family to Lord to see Australia in 1976 (the Chappel brothers era). I know for damn sure my dad would not have forked out £280 in real terms back then.