House Price Crash Forum

Ashes Thread

shindigger

HOLA441

Thought the upcoming series deserved its own thread.

I'm expecting this to be tighter than most are predicting though expecting an England win.

I think Cook is a nervy captain.

Is Swann really fit?

Think the Aussies made a good call on Micky Arthur.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

If the Aussies succeed in exerting any pressure they could win, but I think that will only happen if a couple of their lads bat out of their skin.

Whether it's Cook or not I don't know, but England don't seem to be that good under pressure recently, especially batting, with the honourable exception of Prior.

HOLA443

Prior seems to be out of form at the wrong time now. I quite like root and cook as an opening pair with trott at three. I assume Petey at 4 with End at 5. Please let's look for someone better than Bairstow for 6 as prior must bat at 7 to give depth. Broad, swann, Anderson, Finn - fair enough.

What are our number 6 options. Please not Bopara either.

If Compton finds some form I'd rather go with him and Cook, Root will make runs at any number IMO and an old pro of 30 should deal with the Aussie sledging well.

Not much bowling if the pitch goes flat, but that's the price of no Botham/Kallis.

For a spinners wicket, Monty to replace Finn or even Bell, and if Broad loses bowling form to be replaced immediately until he gets it back with his county instead of waiting for him to get 0-200 a few times first.

HOLA444

If Compton finds some form I'd rather go with him and Cook, Root will make runs at any number IMO and an old pro of 30 should deal with the Aussie sledging well.

Not much bowling if the pitch goes flat, but that's the price of no Botham/Kallis.

For a spinners wicket, Monty to replace Finn or even Bell, and if Broad loses bowling form to be replaced immediately until he gets it back with his county instead of waiting for him to get 0-200 a few times first.

There's always Taylor who managed a double ton recently.

Ideally we'd prepare a few dustbowls and have Monty and Swann bowling in tandem... Root can bowl a bit as well.

It's interesting to look at the past 10 or so tests that Australia have played.. basically, even when they looked OK against South Africa, it was because Clarke was getting 250-odd with Hussey getting 100 in support, the rest of the batting looks pretty poor. Could all turn around, of course.

Ideally we want to bat till lunch on day 3 of the first test, so that Starc and Pattinson break down for the rest of the series.

HOLA445

Broad is clearly a tool of a great magnitude, but i fancy him to do well in this series. I'm sorry, but monty just isn't an athlete. He's an ok spinner and diabolical at everything else. He would be a needless passenger.

Broad is a tool, but good when on song, I'm only saying drop him when he loses form, let him get it back in the county game instead of being poor for a few Tests, this has happened more than once now. Like you, I expect him to do OK but he needs to be watched.

Monty well worth his spot on a spinners pitch where it's required to bowl a bit quicker, see the results in India. Otherwise not, I agree.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Don't like Bell. Always "stylish"....until he gets out for another non match changing 40.

Lucky cricketer.

He's like Luton Town in the 70's, does just enough to avoid the chop every time.

I'm sure he'll be glad that KP is back to soften up the attack ahead of him.

Nowt wrong with Bairstow in my opinion.

Played nicely against New Zealand earlier this year.

I think the Aussies are coming at this with everything to gain.

Theyve been written off before a ball is bowled.

Cook bothers me as captain, can't be quite sure why.

Maybe it's just because he's not Strauss. B)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Anyone else think the Aussies might surprise us?

Their top players are in good form in the county games.

I'm a bit dubious about Root opening although I think he's excellent, I reckon Compton is OK and didn't really get a fair crack at the role - he's an old Saffer and would soak up the Aussie sledging better than a young'un.

Root seems a confident character though, maybe the selectors have this right.

Compton, Cook,Trott,KP,Bell,Root,Prior,Swann,Broad,Finn,Anderson would be my team, and if a batter had to go to accommodate another bowler or Bairstow it would be Bell.

HOLA4411
Guest eight

I'm a bit dubious about Root opening although I think he's excellent, I reckon Compton is OK and didn't really get a fair crack at the role - he's an old Saffer and would soak up the Aussie sledging better than a young'un.

Compton, Cook,Trott,KP,Bell,Root,Prior,Swann,Broad,Finn,Anderson would be my team, and if a batter had to go to accommodate another bowler or Bairstow it would be Bell.

Wouldn't have a clue about the cricket but what odds can you get on the Durham test being a washout?

HOLA4412

Yup. I've had a few bob on a drawn series at 13/2.

There's something about Cook as captian i don't like.

If he and Trott are skittled quickly we may very well cack our pants down the order

Prior not in great form.

KP coming back might ruffle feathers early on.

Aussies have regrouped under Lehman.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Mitchell Johnson called up.

He was hitting 90mph regularly in the Champions Trophy.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yup. I've had a few bob on a drawn series at 13/2.

There's something about Cook as captian i don't like.

If he and Trott are skittled quickly we may very well cack our pants down the order

Prior not in great form.

KP coming back might ruffle feathers early on.

Aussies have regrouped under Lehman.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Mitchell Johnson called up.

He was hitting 90mph regularly in the Champions Trophy.

If any of the Aussie left-armers can get the inswinger going (outswinger to Cook of course)I fear for our otherwise decent top order, none of them play that delivery well early on. Even Johnson is excellent when on song, I saw him bowl some unplayable stuff in the IPL.

HOLA4415

If any of the Aussie left-armers can get the inswinger going (outswinger to Cook of course)I fear for our otherwise decent top order, none of them play that delivery well early on. Even Johnson is excellent when on song, I saw him bowl some unplayable stuff in the IPL.

would love to see KP whacking it all over the park just like he did in his first ever test innings against mcgrath and warne when everyone else crumbled around him!

HOLA4416

Come on England.

Will be tighter than expected i reckon.

With all this sun around the toss is fairly pivotal.

We could be in the field for two days, and then stuck in for half an hour tomorrow night.

Could get messy if they nip Cook and Trott out.

HOLA4417

Come on England.

Will be tighter than expected i reckon.

With all this sun around the toss is fairly pivotal.

We could be in the field for two days, and then stuck in for half an hour tomorrow night.

Could get messy if they nip Cook and Trott out.

:(

HOLA4418

Rather in the shadow of Murray's win, but not saying I am not looking forward to this one.

I passed Trent Bridge a few minutes ago on foot and I am surprised at the lack of a carnival atmosphere on a rather dull overcast morning. Other than ticket touts and charity collectors with buckets every five feet and free copies of the Daily Mail (presumably they want the crowd to be seen holding copies as free publicity) the whole thing seemed rather subdued for an Ashes opener. ( I have already dumped my copy after a cursory glance)

I had got the idea of watching a bit of the action at the Trent Bridge Inn later, but I don't think I will bother. Two menacing bald headed bouncers makes it look like a chav joint today , which is a shame because I like a quiet coffee in there occasionally and a read of the Telegraph.

HOLA4419

I think I must be getting old, on Monday I happened to pass Jimmy Anderson as he was coming out of the hotel for his practise session and thought bloody hell he looks all of fourteen. There again, I passed Tim Bresnan on his way to the ground the day before the one day international last month and he looked about fifty.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

We're batting!

:)

Cook has been so defensive of late (Cook's attempt to snatch a draw from the jaws of a win by not enforcing a follow on with rain gathering against NZ) I thought that he might similarly chicken out and use the cloud cover as an excuse not to bat.

Thank f**k for that, you have got to take first pick of the wicket even with an improving forecast from tomorrow. The Aussies may struggle to swing it anyway, we will see.

HOLA4422

Cook has been so defensive of late (Cook's attempt to snatch a draw from the jaws of a win by not enforcing a follow on with rain gathering against NZ) I thought that he might similarly chicken out and use the cloud cover as an excuse not to bat.

Thank f**k for that, you have got to take first pick of the wicket even with an improving forecast from tomorrow. The Aussies may struggle to swing it anyway, we will see.

Cook has been nipped out.

If they get Trott early we are in for a scrap here.

There is some "hoop" in the air for the aussie pacemen.

HOLA4423

Cook has been nipped out.

If they get Trott early we are in for a scrap here.

There is some "hoop" in the air for the aussie pacemen.

He probably is regretting his decision to bat. However, I still think to concede the batting to the Aussies just because of the overcast conditions and the hoop in the air, would have been psychologically putting us on the back foot straight away. Not sure what the ''experts'' are saying, because I have not seen any of the coverage on Sky. I'm about quarter of a mile from the ground and I did here a yell so that must have been Cook going.

HOLA4424

He probably is regretting his decision to bat. However, I still think to concede the batting to the Aussies just because of the overcast conditions and the hoop in the air, would have been psychologically putting us on the back foot straight away. Not sure what the ''experts'' are saying, because I have not seen any of the coverage on Sky. I'm about quarter of a mile from the ground and I did here a yell so that must have been Cook going.

I agree.

Win toss.

Bat.

Especially today.

HOLA4425

Archived