House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Direct Line To Cut 2000 Jobs....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23059301

"Direct Line set to cut 2,000 UK jobs

Direct Line was spun off from RBS last year

Direct Line Insurance has said it plans to cut about 2,000 jobs in the UK as part of measures to reduce costs."

Please form a direct line to the job center..... :rolleyes:

Why the funny face? This will be a tragedy for the people involved.

Errrr....have you not seen the HPC redudancy/administration pun threads before ?

"Direct Line" to the job center ?

Of course it's terrible for the people involved, no one is doubting that.

Hopefully they will all have taken our insurance against losing their jobs :blink:

You have to laugh though...otherwise you'd cry.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

It's a real shame for those people, hope they find new jobs soon.

Why the funny face? This will be a tragedy for the people involved.

Im sure Cameron, Gidiot and Balls will be hanging themselves this afternoon, distraught and repentent.

Im sure Cameron, Gidiot and Balls will be hanging themselves this afternoon, distraught and repentent.

British Jobs ( if there were any) for British Workers ( if there were any ) .

It seems to me, jobs are at a premium these days :rolleyes:

What percentage makes up the financials and insurance of the economy - isn't it something like two thirds? (And one third public sector - just ribbing)

Decided not to get a quote from them after those annoying adverts in the depths of this recession, using what sounded like Steven Fry and Paul Merton.

Some may say it makes commercial sense to cast such well-known people, but they can throw a bone to some unknown struggling younger fine actors, instead of older multi-millionaires.

Also they had Sarah Beeny flogging their Landlord insurance.

Insurer having Landlord insurance television commercials running on main television channels (and not giving opportunity to unknown rising actors, for it's not a major film or drama) = not getting my business.

Also they had Sarah Beeny flogging their Landlord insurance.

Insurer having Landlord insurance television commercials running on main television channels (and not giving opportunity to unknown rising actors, for it's not a major film or drama) = not getting my business.

Fair play, this year I'll avoid getting a quote at all. Although, as I indicated, it was unlikely to be the best.

Even when they have used lesser known actors, they also got it very wrong.

Rising blood pressure warning...

I was with Direct Line for a year, and then they jacket up my insurance premium by 50-100 quid the following year. So I left.

Pissing off their customers might have something to do with their demise.

Fair play, this year I'll avoid getting a quote at all. Although, as I indicated, it was unlikely to be the best.

As I understand it from a post you made in the last few days cheez, you've had some good quotes elsewhere recently. Under £200 last time, and perhaps a little bit more since your latest move. I wonder how competitive DL can be with much of their TV marketing. I've just made my choice and am sticking with it, in who I give business to.

I was with Direct Line for a year, and then they jacket up my insurance premium by 50-100 quid the following year. So I left.

Pissing off their customers might have something to do with their demise.

I have been with them for about 7 years now and they always try to offer me a similar premium + 10% or so each year as an automatic renewal which is annoying granted. However a quick phone call and a random made up quote I pluck out of thin air usually gets me a final price of last years premium - 20% with protected no claims inc etc which no other insurer can get near so maybe worth another try?

Despite offering some barely-believable cheap insurance quotes to some people I know, DL have never returned a remotely competitive car insurance quote for my wife and I.

I've always been in the barely believable category for DL car insurance, always a good 30% cheaper than the closest comparable quote I could ever find (I pay about £180 fully comp), and they have always bettered their own quote when I have suggested moving, even though they were the cheapest.

Always found them faultless when it has been time to claim. I have had 3 cars written off and been back motoring with a new car in a couple of days each time. One of the few companies I feel deals with me OK.

If it's call center workers at risk then I am genuinely sad since I have always found they have been able to think through a practical and speedy solution in a business-like way.

No VI

Edited by LiveinHope

As I understand it from a post you made in the last few days cheez, you've had some good quotes elsewhere recently. Under £200 last time, and perhaps a little bit more since your latest move. I wonder how competitive DL can be with much of their TV marketing. I've just made my choice and am sticking with it, in who I give business to.

Yes, squeezed household finances are taking cars off the road, insurers competing for a smaller pool of business, and at lower premiums. Not the environment to be trying to operate in if you are a bloated operator with a high cost base.

Hopefully more reductions to come. End of September is renewal time for us. Mrs cheeznbreed was offered under £200 last time with her 4 years NCB (when considered with the £70 Aviva cashback on Quidco, which is still available as it happens), I think it was £250 prior to the cashback (which took about 3 months to be paid, but paid it was). We moved north in December and she was asked to pay another £100 due to postcode change. Mine was a touch under £290, with a further £95 to pay when we moved, but insured so that Mrs cheeznbreed can commute in either car (a prudent hedge when running bangers).

Ahhh. I see what has happened. RBS for all their failings had an admirable uk-only call centre policy.

Now under new management, they've found a great idea to cut costs, boost profits and destroy their brand/business thru' the original technique of off shoring. Disgusted. (I await the announcement of an Indian call centre...or will they keep that quiet if it happens)

You are correct, the jobs are being off-shored to India. These are not the call centre jobs, these are the back office jobs. Staff were notified a year ago.

Standard pattern - lower costs, poorer customer service, Increased management bonuses & shareholder dividends, more welfare benefits for the taxpayer to pick up. The hollowing-out of the middle classes continues.

You are correct, the jobs are being off-shored to India. These are not the call centre jobs, these are the back office jobs. Staff were notified a year ago.

Standard pattern - lower costs, poorer customer service, Increased management bonuses & shareholder dividends, more welfare benefits for the taxpayer to pick up. The hollowing-out of the middle classes continues.

So if they can off-shore the jobs to India what is stopping people buying their insurance from India? ;)

So if they can off-shore the jobs to India what is stopping people buying their insurance from India? ;)

Regulation. But with so much of the operations out there, you practically are in a sense anyway...

Regulation. But with so much of the operations out there, you practically are in a sense anyway...

Regulation to suit who....British workers or financial providers?.........not as if the main reason for buying British and paying a bit extra is because of trust, service and confidence.

You can have a HSBC bank account.....so I can't see much difference. ;)

I believe direct line are on no comparison engines. After I've done the engines I'm not typing all my details into DL just to check. Screw 'em.

Correct, they're not on any engine

Many of the comparison engines are owned by insurance companies. Always found DL to better any comparison on internet or AA/RAC. I guess they need your business less than you need a cheaper deal.

Edited by LiveinHope

Regulation to suit who....British workers or financial providers?.........not as if the main reason for buying British and paying a bit extra is because of trust, service and confidence.

You can have a HSBC bank account.....so I can't see much difference. ;)

The UK insurance industry has been very tightly regulated since several major insurance companies collapsed in the late 60s/early 70s, climaxing in the Vehicle & General scandal. Legislation was passed, and the Policyholders Protection Board set up, to try and prevent policyholders being left uncovered in future. General insurers are required to produce highly detailed quarterly reports for the regulators.

I believe direct line are on no comparison engines. After I've done the engines I'm not typing all my details into DL just to check. Screw 'em.

Those comparison sites get paid commission for every quote they generate and a lot also charge a fee to even be featured with the biggest in the sector charging at least 5 figures per month to be seen on such sites which I believe is why Direct line aren't on them and made such a big deal of the fact and why they are way cheaper from my experience.