House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Boatbuilder Fairline Plans To Axe Job

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/top-stories/boatbuilder-fairline-plans-to-axe-jobs-at-corby-and-oundle-1-5218145

"Fairline Boats today (Monday, June 24) announced 60 staff at its sites in Corby and Oundle could lose their jobs."

I'm outraged, last time I buy one of their luxury boats. :lol:

This whole recovery, I don't buy into it, I see a constant drip drip drip of job losses.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Northants!?! That's about as far away from the sea as you can get in this country. No wonder they're not doing so well.

Cheap(er) labour I guess than down southampton/portsmouth way, where you'd expect something like this to be.

Northants!?! That's about as far away from the sea as you can get in this country. No wonder they're not doing so well.

You mean you have never experienced the sheer joy of navigating the River Nene and its locks?

Sunseeker is in Poole, where house prices are pretty high. Cut down a tree in the road so that you can see the sea, and puts £50K up on the value of your home!

Sunseeker has just been sold to a Chinese company.

But, even though there's no denying it's currently a buyer's market in the boat world, I've been astonished at how well boat prices have held up since 2007. I had a boat sink on her moorings in the 1987 hurricane, by the time the insurance paid out there'd been a stock market and property crash. The boat industry was complete carnage, people were almost giving away boats to be free of mooring and maintenance costs. I ended up with a boat twice the size and half the age for the insurance money.

I was expecting the same thing this time around, but it's not happened to anywhere near the same extent.

Sunseeker has just been sold to a Chinese company.

But, even though there's no denying it's currently a buyer's market in the boat world, I've been astonished at how well boat prices have held up since 2007. I had a boat sink on her moorings in the 1987 hurricane, by the time the insurance paid out there'd been a stock market and property crash. The boat industry was complete carnage, people were almost giving away boats to be free of mooring and maintenance costs. I ended up with a boat twice the size and half the age for the insurance money.

I was expecting the same thing this time around, but it's not happened to anywhere near the same extent.

Were you on the www.boatpricesink.co.uk web forum ?

Sealine in Kiddersminster collapsed at the beginning of May, 234 jobs lost. One major problem may have been pirate equity.

Story from local rag here http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/05/01/kidderminster-firm-sealine-shedding-234-jobs/

P.S. these firms often locate miles from the sea but in the middle of industrial/post-industrial areas where there's a ready-made skilled workforce. The boats are frequently delivered by road to the customer's moorings anyway, so the road network can matter more than waterways.

Sealine in Kiddersminster collapsed at the beginning of May, 234 jobs lost. One major problem may have been pirate equity.

Story from local rag here http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/05/01/kidderminster-firm-sealine-shedding-234-jobs/

P.S. these firms often locate miles from the sea but in the middle of industrial/post-industrial areas where there's a ready-made skilled workforce. The boats are frequently delivered by road to the customer's moorings anyway, so the road network can matter more than waterways.

Sign of the times....luxury boats in a recession wouldn't do very well if you ask me.

You often see them on the surface/back roads in Cambridgeshire, avoiding the A14 and its low bridges/overpasses. Its given me many mornings of excuses for being late to work.

00328512%20-%20800x700.jpg

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Massive-boat-launches-traffic-chaos-in-Cambridge-26042012.htm

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge/Boat-steers-safe-course-through-streets-20112012.htm