House Price Crash Forum

Ubuntu Touch Isn't Bad!

HOLA441

Haven't had a phone nerd thread for a while...

Just tried UT out on a friends Nexus (you can flash it on to some Android phones). You can download it but I think it's still in development stage.

I was really impressed. Nice interface. Like the way different edges of the screen have different swipe functions. Much more consistent that the mishmash feel of Android. Seemed responsive and fluid. A full Linux, offering the same promise as the N900 for 2013, which I nearly bought over my first iPhone.

While it's probably not going to eat that far in to Spamdroid and iOS I can see it being the choice of geeks and Linux fans and possibly emerging markets where a phone can be a PC too.

Anyone tried it?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Yes, I think this is one that has a better chance of carving out a healthy niche than FirefoxOS, Tizen, Jolla, et. al.

Probably WILL win a good few million users from Ubuntu and Linux desktop users in general if they can bring it up to speed in a reasonable timeframe.

Google are kings of search, maps and backend stuff but most of what they put out is a dog's dinner, especially in terms of front end user experience. A couple more meaningful alternatives in the mobile market would be a good thing.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, I think this is one that has a better chance of carving out a healthy niche than FirefoxOS, Tizen, Jolla, et. al.

Probably WILL win a good few million users from Ubuntu and Linux desktop users in general if they can bring it up to speed in a reasonable timeframe.

Google are kings of search, maps and backend stuff but most of what they put out is a dog's dinner, especially in terms of front end user experience. A couple more meaningful alternatives in the mobile market would be a good thing.

I've been using Linux (OpenSUSE) on my desktop machine for many years and would certainly consider using Linux on my phone. However, I don't really understand what you mean about Android being a dog's breakfast. I actually think Google's done a pretty good job with Android (itself a modified version of Linux, of course), and most people, including my technophobic sister, don't seem to have much problem with it. Also, I like to mess around with writing my own little apps sometimes, and Google's Android Development Tools makes it very easy to write and test them. I can't imagine that being so straightforward for a phone running vanilla Linux.

Edit: My current phone is an ageing HTC Desire, running CyanogenMod to allow apps to be stored on the SD card and overcome the problem of its small memory size. It's been a great phone, but sometimes struggles to run modern apps these days. I'll probably get a second-hand Galaxy S2 next (skinflint that I am!).

HOLA446

I've been using Linux (OpenSUSE) on my desktop machine for many years and would certainly consider using Linux on my phone. However, I don't really understand what you mean about Android being a dog's breakfast. I actually think Google's done a pretty good job with Android (itself a modified version of Linux, of course), and most people, including my technophobic sister, don't seem to have much problem with it. Also, I like to mess around with writing my own little apps sometimes, and Google's Android Development Tools makes it very easy to write and test them. I can't imagine that being so straightforward for a phone running vanilla Linux.

Android is more of a Java layer on a Linux kernel. I guess the Java layer is to make it very portable across devices. As well as some user-interface issues, fragmentation on Android is quite bad and more adventurous apps often fail across all the devices out there. The result is that iOS has some amazing desktop-level apps that often don't really have Android equivalents.

Large numbers of Android devices are not running the latest version, with a large number running quite old versions, while virtually all iOS devices going back to the fairly ancient 3gs are on the current software.

Maemo on the n900 was much closer to being a more desktop-like Linux phone but didn't get anywhere. I actually would have bought this if it hadn't had an awful resistive touch screen.

Ubuntu say they will be working with hardware manufacturers rather than looking to get people to flash Android phones. I guess the idea is to create an always-up-to date non-fragmented system a la iOS. Although of course it's open source so someone could make Linux Mint Mobile or whatever.

HOLA447

I've got an Archos tablet with Android, which I loathe, and would happily replace it with Ubuntu (on the basis of my experience with the desktop PC version) if they ever publish a compatible version. There's nothing to download on the tablet section of their website as yet, though.

HOLA448

I've got an Archos tablet with Android, which I loathe, and would happily replace it with Ubuntu (on the basis of my experience with the desktop PC version) if they ever publish a compatible version. There's nothing to download on the tablet section of their website as yet, though.

It on;y works with a Nexus devices at the moment and I suspect Ubuntu-branded phones will be the focus when it's ready for prime time. I suspect Ubuntu see hardware as a revenue stream

HOLA449

I think its probably a good thing and I think they key to getting more Linux on the desktop would be the ability to run Android apps and games on the desktop too.

Linux on phones and a port of Android is being developed for netbooks, desktops etc..whatever next.

But Ubuntu could blow it. I notice I get spammed now when I run Ubuntu Software Centre.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Archived