House Price Crash Forum

2 Fat Ladies Will Get You Arrested In Portugal

azogar

HOLA441
HOLA442

What a rubbish little article. I don't believe for a moment that the pub owners were innocent - they will speak with other expat pubs in the area, they will know exactly what the law is. Oh, and the landlady's husband is Portuguese.

And the article is inaccurate - the title says "after staking out a pub for two weeks" when in the article itself it only states that the police were seen in the pub 2 weeks before (so probably they dropped in for one bingo night to observe the law-breaking, waited a week to see if it was a one-off [in which case they would almost certainly have dropped the case], but when they saw a regular offender, they turned up in force the 3rd week).

HOLA443
Guest eight

What a rubbish little article. I don't believe for a moment that the pub owners were innocent - they will speak with other expat pubs in the area, they will know exactly what the law is. Oh, and the landlady's husband is Portuguese.

And the article is inaccurate - the title says "after staking out a pub for two weeks" when in the article itself it only states that the police were seen in the pub 2 weeks before (so probably they dropped in for one bingo night to observe the law-breaking, waited a week to see if it was a one-off [in which case they would almost certainly have dropped the case], but when they saw a regular offender, they turned up in force the 3rd week).

The fact that there are people might want to spend part of their time on the Algarve in "The Yorkshire Pub" is the most depressing facet of the story, IMO.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest eight

Any more depressing than an Indian restaurant in Grimsby?

Look, I've been to that restaurant and it wasn't so bad!

Leaving aside the fact that anything in Grimsby is going to be depressing by association, do you think any Indians holidaying there would make a bee line for the Star of Bengal just so they could feel "at home".

HOLA447

Portugal is very strict about not allowing games of chance in bars and cafes. A typical Portuguese person will break into a sweat if you pull out a pack of cards in a cafe. Whether or not there are prizes to be won is irrelevant.

This is all a bit rich given that the Portuguese government owns its own gambling franchise which you could gamble with using a smartphone while sat in exactly the same pub that these bingo players were arrested in. Organised crime hates competition.

HOLA448

Look, I've been to that restaurant and it wasn't so bad!

Leaving aside the fact that anything in Grimsby is going to be depressing by association, do you think any Indians holidaying there would make a bee line for the Star of Bengal just so they could feel "at home".

Yes!

An anecdote: I used to live in Paris. There was an Indian restaurant by the Métro station, that was closed most of the time. It only opened when a coachload of Indian tourists turned up, and only catered for them.

I know it's trendy to slag off the Brits as unadventurous, but most nations are the same under the skin...

HOLA449

Archived