House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

R.i.p. Mick Aston

Just seen that Mick Aston off Time Team has died. Mick and Phil's knowledgeable enthusiasm more than outweighed Sir Tony Robinson's vacuous manner.

551px-TimeTeam2007.jpg

Oh feck. Was he ill?

The last I heard about him was just a few months back when he was complaining about being dropped from Time Team and replaced by younger presenters.

That didn't work out did it as I think audiences dropped and then Time Team got cancelled - Channel 4 is only interested in 'the yoof' IMPO and I was saddened when I read about the Time Team politics.

I wonder who will get his jumpers?

Aww that's a shame. His jumpers and enthusiasm with be remembered.

On an episode of Time Team once he said one of the most profound things I have ever heard - and I have since repeatedly told other people it. Tony Robinson asked him when was the best time in history to live and, quick as a flash, Mick responded with "Now. Now is always the best time to live." Thanks Mick.

Oh feck. Was he ill?

Doesn't say - it's on their Facebook page:-

It is with a very heavy heart that we've been informed that our dear colleague Mick Aston has passed away. Our thoughts are with his family.

From wikipedia.

Aston has commented that throughout his life he has suffered from poor health, living with aspergillosis since the early 1980s, and also being afflicted with asthma. He suffered a brain haemorrhage in March 2003, and was hospitalised for two weeks. The experience sent him into depression for eighteen months, during which time he read the autobiography of actress Jane Lapotaire, who had gone through the same experience, something which he believed aided his recovery more than anything else

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Aston

I read somewhere that part of the reason for the popularity of archaeology was that developers had to fund lots of excavations.

When the development stopped, the bottom fell out of the archaeology market. I guess that contributed to Time Team's demise.

I read somewhere that part of the reason for the popularity of archaeology was that developers had to fund lots of excavations.

When the development stopped, the bottom fell out of the archaeology market. I guess that contributed to Time Team's demise.

A few years ago I recall picking up some archaeology magazine whilst waiting in my surgery and I remember reading in it loads of complaints from graduates who could not find any work - they had all seemingly hoped to work on Time Team or similar.

That was out of the blue. He always came across as very genuine.

I've done a bit of archaeology myself, this one of his was a very readable standard text:

510g6HxgcAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

A few years ago I recall picking up some archaeology magazine whilst waiting in my surgery and I remember reading in it loads of complaints from graduates who could not find any work - they had all seemingly hoped to work on Time Team or similar.

Speaking as somebody with two degrees in it who barely earnt above minimum wage it is a profession you enter for love as there is sod all money.

Several people I had known when I was in it popped up on Time Team but I didn't know or meet Mick. I liked most of Time Team but it had run its course; there's only a limited range of site types.

Several people I had known when I was in it popped up on Time Team but I didn't know or meet Mick. I liked most of Time Team but it had run its course; there's only a limited range of site types.

Yes, it got repetitive several years ago. The format needed to be changed a bit but it became the same old thing again and again.

dig brush, dig brush, dig brush, dig brush.....

never saw Indianna Jones doing that.

Did you wash your hands after thumbing the mags...?

Theres a joke in there somewhere i'm sure.

Did you wash your hands after thumbing the mags...?

Theres a joke in there somewhere i'm sure.

"Let's go over to Phil who's rolled his sleeves up and got his hands dirty in Raksha's trench."

Call it wishful thinking...every time I see this thread, I think it says RIP Rick Astley :(

P

He wasn't so bad, in the interviews I read he came across as an ordinary Joe who was amazed by his success and hated watching himself in videos because he knew he was a terrible dancer.

Speaking as somebody with two degrees in it who barely earnt above minimum wage it is a profession you enter for love as there is sod all money.

I was very sad to hear about Mick Aston's death who probably did more to help popularize archaeology than any other person in the TV era. In particular, Time Team showed how a dig was planned, executed, documented and interpreted at the basic level something most other programs which concentrate more on big show off artifacts and constructing tottering theories about past societies on rather skimpy evidence tend to miss

Nonetheless I do concur with all the rest of your comments

Unless you are a tenured academic or have a decent job at a Museum you can easily wind up living not much above vagrant level if you try to make a career working on archaeological digs

Time Team did actually make quite a lot of decent finds over the years but inevitably some were a lot more telegenic than others, particularly given the limited amount of physical evidence surviving on many British sites. Three archaeologists staring at a pile of rubble at the bottom of a pit and declaring it a 'high status building' or gazing over a muddy field and describing it as a 'ritual landscape' sometimes bordered on parody. That said when the program did chance upon a major find it could make for very interesting TV, even if it was unlikely to fulfill the fantasies of those who think all archaeologists should be like Indiana Jones

It would be beautifully ironic if in 1000 years time an archaeology show digs up those balls.

probably just find giant fat earth worms..