House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Overheard On A Train.

Girl (no more than 25 years old) with overloud voice on mobile on the train.

"Yeah, we can borrow 120k each, well actually more than that but thats all I want to borrow"

Each? So not a couple then, how does the multiple work?

"So yeah 240k, and its huge, 1000 square foot, with 3 big bedrooms, but we must tell them we are renting the third room out"

So not that huge then, just a standard Victorian terrace it sounds like. Nice but not huge, and likely one bathroom for 3 girls?

"So yeah, shes coming round tonight to meet my parents."

So you are buying with a friend then, and you are renting out a third room. And she is coming round to meet your parents, tonight, because that will stave off any trouble down the line won't it.

"Yeah, I think this one is the best investment, but we need to spend 10k on the roof, so we put in a stupid offer, and they turned it down"

Muppets on both sides of this transaction then.

"Yeah it failed a survey before I think"

So not that hot a property then.

In essence, this girl was going to have a few years of laughter with a mate and maybe a third friend to rent, but what then?

What if you want to marry? Oh dear God have children in the next 25 years?

If you are so stretched with your half how will you ever hope to buy the other out? Or be bought out?

120k for your half, how do the multiples work? She said they were paying 1200 quid a month, so interest only then on 240k.

If its 3.5 times hers, that means she earns 40k. SHe didn't look like she did :blink: Or she's a prodigy.

If its 5 times then she is on 25k, possible in the City.

But 5 times for half the house?

I really don't get it. ANd how many else are going to do this?

Even if everyone can do it, it means half the number of houses sold because everyone is in with a friend.

I think the best deal would be for the lodger!!! :D

Pays about 300 quid per month and then lives in the same house, yet can move out if it gets nasty, and can sleep soundly at night and demand that the heating gets fixed when it goes wrong.

Pure muppetry.

This mortgage miss-selling scandal is going to explode and it is going to show, IMPO, practices that are incredibly dubious over the last few years. How the feck people sleep at night with such huge debts is beyond me... but then I lived through the '80s.

I'm assuming that if her 'mate' is coming round to meet the parents, then the parents are probably putting up the deposit???

I really just don't get which ever way I cook it.

If it was a combined multiple of 3 times, then both must earn 40 grand each. Or both girls in their early 20s earn nearly twice the national average.

It is 'possible' but probably 'unlikely'

If they both earn 25 k each, then its 5 times combined income, thats illegal!

I really wanted to say something, but who am I except just an innocent bystander to this madness?

She had a 'how to buy a property/ success book/manual with her, so she probably would have acted all insulted and shouted "I have done my homework".

Its akin to getting a driving licence, insurance, tax, driving gloves, mats and de-icer only to get outside your front door and overlook the fact you haven't got a car. People are so obsessed with property that they don't make the most basic of analysis.

Like is it really a good idea. What if I lost my job. What if house prices fell? Why didn't my parents have to borrow these kinds of multiples?

Oh to be young and foolish again....

Speaking of which, Libitina, for God's sake please put a sweater on that avatar.

Or take a stretch love, you look uncomfortable like that for so long.

p.s. Sorry girls, I had to say it.

Or take a stretch love, you look uncomfortable like that for so long.

p.s. Sorry girls, I had to say it.

*wiggles toes to stave off pins and needles*

Maybe the girls are 'on the game' and that's where the money is coming from? :o

*wiggles toes to stave off pins and needles*

Maybe the girls are 'on the game' and that's where the money is coming from? :o

Is that what they call a city boneus these days? :unsure:

Is that what they call a city boneus these days?

I worked in the City - surprising how many of the women were on the game. There is so much money flowing around and the city boys like to shag themselves silly. Also, lots of women were not on the game officially but they played the game of only going after brokers who would buy them 60K rings, expensive cars, etc... which is, IMPO, no different to the women who openly offered sex for money.

Also, lots of gay male prostitutes also.