House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Buy Or Rent?

Carpet cleaning shampoo machines that is, not houses. Another one of life's burning questions to thrill off-topicers.

I'm in a rental property that is part carpeted - 1 reception room, 1 bedroom, hallway, stairs and landing. Unfortunately, the carpets were replaced a year ago so I need to keep them clean in spite of 2 children. The carpet looks grubby so I planned to clean it this summer and then annually plus a clean when we leave. From previous experience, a days hire of a professional Rug Doctor type machine and shampoo is approx £30. Alternatively, a domestic small upright carpet washer (Bissell type) or cylinder cleaner (VAX type) can be had for £50-100. We also have a couple of large rugs that would benefit from occasional cleaning.

Which is better? The convenience of always having a cleaner to clear up mishaps from 2 small children or the performance of a professional hired cleaning machine on an ad hoc basis and no upfront cost?

I'd get a man with a really powerful machine. It's amazing how much dirt a proper industrial cleaner removes from carpets and the invoice is useful to show to the landlord/letting agent when you move out.

I'd get a man with a really powerful machine. It's amazing how much dirt a proper industrial cleaner removes from carpets and the invoice is useful to show to the landlord/letting agent when you move out.

I'd go with this, had my carpets professionally cleaned when I left my flat, just one pass of the machine left the carpet looking brand new and it was dry enough to walk on immediately.

You're looking at 2 to 3 times the DIY price (have to pay the posh premium too) and I'm not sure i want to leave it till end of tenancy before cleaning.

You're looking at 2 to 3 times the DIY price (have to pay the posh premium too) and I'm not sure i want to leave it till end of tenancy before cleaning.

Give a few companies a ring and see if you can agree a deal for two visits.

Carpet cleaning shampoo machines that is, not houses. Another one of life's burning questions to thrill off-topicers.

I'm in a rental property that is part carpeted - 1 reception room, 1 bedroom, hallway, stairs and landing. Unfortunately, the carpets were replaced a year ago so I need to keep them clean in spite of 2 children. The carpet looks grubby so I planned to clean it this summer and then annually plus a clean when we leave. From previous experience, a days hire of a professional Rug Doctor type machine and shampoo is approx £30. Alternatively, a domestic small upright carpet washer (Bissell type) or cylinder cleaner (VAX type) can be had for £50-100. We also have a couple of large rugs that would benefit from occasional cleaning.

Which is better? The convenience of always having a cleaner to clear up mishaps from 2 small children or the performance of a professional hired cleaning machine on an ad hoc basis and no upfront cost?

If you have the storage space, I'd buy one if it costs the equivalent of 3 hires or less, assuming the machines are adequate.

I recently had a similar dilemma with a lawn scarifier. You're welcome to borrow it (I bought one) but it probably won't do the carpets much good.

Give a few companies a ring and see if you can agree a deal for two visits.

Your faith in local tradesmen/service providers is touching even if somewhat misguided.

If you have the storage space, I'd buy one if it costs the equivalent of 3 hires or less, assuming the machines are adequate.

I recently had a similar dilemma with a lawn scarifier. You're welcome to borrow it (I bought one) but it probably won't do the carpets much good.

Something like a Vax 6131 via an ebay seller is that sort of price.

I suppose I was hoping for some sort of testimonial, domestic vis a vis professional equipment.

I've bought three or four cheap carpet cleaners over the years and none of them were up to much. Unless I was going to spend the best part of a grand on a decent Nilfisk machine, I'd get a professional in.

I just used carpet spray on my previous place. Was fine - got full deposit back. Took lots of pics of me cleaning it - wee stains - before and after - etc..

Never had to use them in anger though.

I voted rent, but only because that's what we did.

I think we paid about the same as you are looking at but we got it for a weekend (sometimes places do weekend deals - Worth a look).

You could rent one 4 times for the price of a cheapish carpet vac. Are you really ever likely to do it more than that?

That was our reasoning anyway..

Lol.. sorry.. didn't realise it was an old thread.

Congratulations on your purchase.. wishing you many hours of happy vacuuming :P

Never let it be said that I am incapable of acting decisively, I have finally bought one.

Two years? You get around to doing things much faster than I do.

If you'll deliver, I'd be happy to

Ask around your neighbourhood.....someone must have one in a cupboard gathering dust they have only used once, am sure they would lend it to you for a drink. ;)