House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Se Europe Here I Come!

Just been speaking to my cousin somewhere in the mountains of Romania - runs a business, makes plenty of money - great lifestyle - good food - just bought a house for 30k

B***** H*** - what am I doing here - c*** lifestyle, long hours and a ghastly 'mutated' Protestant work ethic. The young are being treated like filth by the bloated older generations. And on top of all that, this place boasts the worst food in Europe (other than Ireland and Finland in my experience)....oh no, forgot, some of the best food in the world (according to the meedya :blink:).

SE Europe here I come! I'm going out next Spring and may decide to stay!

Just been speaking to my cousin somewhere in the mountains of Romania - runs a business, makes plenty of money - great lifestyle - good food - just bought a house for 30k

B***** H*** - what am I doing here - c*** lifestyle, long hours and a ghastly 'mutated' Protestant work ethic. The young are being treated like filth by the bloated older generations. And on top of all that, this place boasts the worst food in Europe (other than Ireland and Finland in my experience)....oh no, forgot, some of the best food in the world (according to the meedya :blink:).

Hooray!

At last someone on HPC actually physically doing something!

Take your skill and tax, f**k UK PLC!

The very best of dom luck to you, mate.

Don't forget us.

Sorry to spoil the dream but . . . . .

Why are junior? schools collecting and sending parcels to Bosnia still?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Sorry to spoil the dream but . . . . .

Why are junior? schools collecting and sending parcels to Bosnia still?

Any going to Romania?

Just been speaking to my cousin somewhere in the mountains of Romania

My mum goes to Romania a lot and says that it's lovely- but don't kid yourself that it's a first world country. I'm sure there are some people running businesses and doing well....but there are a lot of people living in fairly serious poverty. Their average wage is $313 a month- meaning that your cousin's 30K house (if that's in £) is a moderate 14x the average wage....

My mum goes to Romania a lot and says that it's lovely- but don't kid yourself that it's a first world country. I'm sure there are some people running businesses and doing well....but there are a lot of people living in fairly serious poverty. Their average wage is $313 a month- meaning that your cousin's 30K house (if that's in £) is a moderate 14x the average wage....

yes countries like Romania at 300 or so dollars a month are way behind places like the Czech Republic and Hungary........$700/month ...and here at $3750 a month.....

I've always wondered if they're being paid a twelvth of our wages why their Hps aren't correspondingly low ...........eg £14k for a house......Is it like Moscow where people in the black economy get far more money than people in salaried jobs....especially government ones.......eg teacher in Moscow on $160 a month can earn twice that working as a part-time taxidriver on his days off......

Edited by Michael

Remember that once people leave, often they can't afford to return.

When you've bought a house in Romania for £30k and your HP has doubled. How will it make you feel when you discover UK priced have gone up 40%?

You now have £30k more than you had, but your target market has risen further away from you.

I live in the Balkans and have lived for a while in Moscow. The property/lifestyle prices of the latter have been tremendously distorted by the expat market and the emergence of an ultra-rich elite.

Foreign property investors and those seeking holiday homes have also pushed up the price of property in the Balkan region and whilst it may seem a bargain utopia for us, for the local people they're looking at a situation probably worse than our own in the UK in terms of difficulty in getting on the property ladder.

Good luck and good riddance.

Why did you stay here this long if you hate it so much?

Romania isn't without problems, but if you have something to bring to the country, then why not.

I've heard a few horror stories about local mafia pillaging farms.

btp

IMHO Bulgaria is better than Romania. It has milder winters, less of a mafia issue and much cheaper housing. You can buy buy a big country villa in Bulgaria with loads of land for around £1,500 if you cut out the middle man (the estate agent)

Remember that once people leave, often they can't afford to return.

When you've bought a house in Romania for £30k and your HP has doubled. How will it make you feel when you discover UK priced have gone up 40%?

You now have £30k more than you had, but your target market has risen further away from you.

Disagree, got a few slovakian friends (and a slovak girl i am dating) who all work in ukplc, as the global economy starts to balance out this is where the opertunity will be. If prices accross the world become balanced, the value of property in these countries will be greater in relation to the 'value' of uk property and it should be easier to move back...

I was talking to this girl last night about buying a place in slovakia with my current savings, to hedge myself against this global levelling, my hope is as i have friends who were born there i wont get ripped off... Its just a thought at the moment

Edited by moosetea

Gruffydd, I suppose you really should move to Romania to appreciate what you have in the UK. I am originally from Eastern Europe, I know what I'm talking about.

A lot of you keep moaning about high property prices and low quality of life in the UK. I recommend you move to a "Land of Dreams", such as Romania or Bulgaria for a while. You'll be back in the UK in no time.

The young are being treated like filth by the bloated older generations.

Fancy being treated like filth by "nouveaux riches" (read "mafia") in Romania? I am talking about bullying and humiliation in public places and that sort of things.

Why go to these backward countries anyway?

Here in Sweden, it is still very easy to find affordable places:

Under £20k:

http://www.blocket.se/view/6628196.htm?cal...&l=0&c=1&city=0

A BTL earning 8-9% for 120k

http://www.blocket.se/view/6280275.htm?cal...&l=0&c=1&city=0

A list to look at:

http://www.blocket.se/search?sortPris=1&q=...gory=59&where=0

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

Why go to these backward countries anyway?

Here in Sweden, it is still very easy to find affordable places:

Under £20k:

http://www.blocket.se/view/6628196.htm?cal...&l=0&c=1&city=0

A BTL earning 8-9% for 120k

http://www.blocket.se/view/6280275.htm?cal...&l=0&c=1&city=0

A list to look at:

http://www.blocket.se/search?sortPris=1&q=...gory=59&where=0

Cost of living is much higher in Sweden.

yes countries like Romania at 300 or so dollars a month are way behind places like the Czech Republic and Hungary........$700/month ...and here at $3750 a month.....

I've always wondered if they're being paid a twelvth of our wages why their Hps aren't correspondingly low ...........eg £14k for a house......Is it like Moscow where people in the black economy get far more money than people in salaried jobs....especially government ones.......eg teacher in Moscow on $160 a month can earn twice that working as a part-time taxidriver on his days off......

I don't think I'll be living outside Australia anytime soon, but to me the Czech Republic and Slovenia seem the pick of Central Europe. The Baltic 3 also look OK, but I would still be concerned about living that close to Russia.

IMHO Bulgaria is better than Romania. It has milder winters, less of a mafia issue and much cheaper housing. You can buy buy a big country villa in Bulgaria with loads of land for around £1,500 if you cut out the middle man (the estate agent)

Where can i get one of these villas for 1500 quid? ...... Ill be the first in line to buy one if thats the case as an insurance policy against life in this country going sour.

Any links?

At the moment Romanian and Bulgarian (etc.) criminals have to go to the Spanish costas so they can go in the villas of British ex-pats to beat the cr@p out of them and rob them.

If you move to Eastern Europe you'll save them the bother of travelling.

Where can i get one of these villas for 1500 quid? ...... Ill be the first in line to buy one if thats the case as an insurance policy against life in this country going sour.

Any links?

Talk to these guys. http://www.mybulgaria.info/bulgaria-property-forums.html You will also see a lot of villas listed for sale for around 10,000 Euros which is still rediculously cheap but what typically happens is that the estate agent pockets about half of the property value without either party realising. To cut out the middle man you need to learn about Bulgaria from the forums and you can then hire an interpreter and talk directly to the mayor of individual Bulgarian villages or Bulgarian property owners directly for info on properties for sale.

“Disagree, got a few slovakian friends (and a slovak girl i am dating) who all work in ukplc, as the global economy starts to balance out this is where the opertunity will be. If prices accross the world become balanced, the value of property in these countries will be greater in relation to the 'value' of uk property and it should be easier to move back...”

I’m with you 100% on that one

I’ve already have property in Europe but will be taking a look at Bulgaria as soon as I get a chance