House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bear Goggles

Latest Ukip Recruit Is A Convicted Slum Landlord

One for the UKIP fans among you.

In a double prosecution by the fire service and his own council, Silvester [...] pleaded guilty to 11 fire safety breaches, including holes in the ceiling and roof, inflammable material in corridors, loose wiring, broken smoke detectors and fire extinguishers which hadn’t been inspected for 20 years.

UKIP are claiming that Silvester “defected” from the Tories. The truth is that he resigned in disgrace in the wake of his conviction — just hours before a local Conservative Party committee was due to throw him out.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/06/latest-ukip-recruit-brian-silvester-is-convicted-slum-landlord/

Farage is like my cousin's terrier mix.

Would be a great little companion... but won't stop rolling in and eating fox poop, biting other dogs, and chewing at the furniture.

Edited by cashinmattress

I wouldn't trust any MP/Politicians, be it labour, tory or ukip.

I know one thing for sure though....it#'s time to show labour and tory alike they can be voted out and the country wants to change tact.

Vote UKIP, Send a message.

Incredible he was admitted to the party.

Here's the media report from the local rag concerning his parting ways with the Tories in November 2012, having being convicted of the offences in the OP the month prior:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-news/local-crewe-news/2012/11/21/disgraced-cheshire-east-councillor-brian-silvester-resigns-from-conservative-group-96135-32271780/

He's on Twitter btw:

https://twitter.com/CllrBSilvester

Edited by cheeznbreed

I wouldn't trust any MP/Politicians, be it labour, tory or ukip.

I know one thing for sure though....it#'s time to show labour and tory alike they can be voted out and the country wants to change tact.

Vote UKIP, Send a message.

To be fair, he was actually a Tory, and probably wouldn't have moved to UKIP had he not been convicted. The only "crime" UKIP have committed in this case is not checking out their Tory defectors' previous sufficiently.

There does seem to be a correlation between those people who think it is okay to exploit others, and those who get involved in politics. Power corrupts and all that. I'm also enjoying watching the rise of UKIP, if only because it is giving old Etonian Tories the willies in the most comical fashion.

I won't be voting for them anytime soon though.

UKIPs main asset is that they are not LibLabCon.

Well, ok, most of them are ex-con...

I like Farage and the top brass, they actually seem to want to move things along, but in their desire for quick growth of the party they seem to recruit any crap, (so long as its not ex BNP crap) Personally im less worried about whether they were at one time BNP members and more worried about people like the guy in this thread.

They are all as bad as each other.

So, are UKIP politicians more corrupt than those of other parties... or is it just that the Party spin doctors don't have the decades of practice of their opposite numbers? :)

here's the UKIP puff piece regarding his appointment. My comment is 'awaiting moderation'...

http://ukipnw.co.uk/2013/06/cheshire-east-councillor-defects-to-ukip/comment-page-1/#comment-2098

This is a spectacular PR own goal by UKIP imo, they didn't even have to dig to find out this guy's past, it was just a straightforward power grab for a sitting councillor. I hope someone in the local association gets the hairdryer treatment for that, and Rachmann gets the boot pronto.

Narrowly avoided jail at a Crown court, welcomed with open arms. FFS.

Incredible he was admitted to the party.

Here's the media report from the local rag concerning his parting ways with the Tories in November 2012, having being convicted of the offences in the OP the month prior:

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-news/local-crewe-news/2012/11/21/disgraced-cheshire-east-councillor-brian-silvester-resigns-from-conservative-group-96135-32271780/

He's on Twitter btw:

https://twitter.com/CllrBSilvester

Why? Do you think political parties have the money to research each potential member?

Why? Do you think political parties have the money to research each potential member?

Are you suggesting that any 'research' was needed, in this instance? He was a sitting Tory councillor in the same borough at the time of his conviction last year!

This is not one of these stories where someone has deliberately hidden or failed to declare a shady past as a matter of bad faith, then has been found out later on.

Edited by cheeznbreed

He's not just a common or garden potential member, though, he's a councillor jumping from one political party to another.

They had time to write the puff piece. They should have taken the time for research into his history.

I doubt it'll make much difference. Most of those determined to vote UKIP will do so regardless of the integrity of their candidates or the coherence of their policies. It may be a good thing if taken by our current politicians as a warning and acted on accordingly; on the other hand, it could lead to the nightmare scenarios of either a Labour government with a vast majority or UKIP in government.

I do wonder how much the press single out UKIP though. The Cambridge evening news online had an 'expose' of a UKIP councillor in Peterborough who was convicted for shoplifting or something. Having read the Cambridge evening news online for years they NEVER carry storys from outside of Cambridge or its immediate surrounding towns and villages. Ely yes, huntingdon yes, Chatteris and beyond, NEVER. The first and last time i read any story from afar as Peterborough in that paper. Doubt they would single out a LibLabCon Councillor that way.

I doubt it'll make much difference. Most of those determined to vote UKIP will do so regardless of the integrity of their candidates or the coherence of their policies. It may be a good thing if taken by our current politicians as a warning and acted on accordingly; on the other hand, it could lead to the nightmare scenarios of either a Labour government with a vast majority or UKIP in government.

Of course, people who vote for Lib Dems, Labour or Conservative pay a unique regard to the conduct of the Rennards, Hancocks, McShanes, Taylors, Hanningfields etc etc of this world...

Every political party has bad eggs, and no party has a decent record in dispensing with them, it seems to be the case that cover up and the silencing/smearing of victims or accusers is tha name of the game. I wouldn't get too bolshy about the relative virtues of any particular party.

That said, this is an obvious facepalm moment for UKIP. What are they playing at? I hope they get a rough ride over it. Even the local press doesn't even mention the slightly controversial detail of their new member's conviction, reproducing the press release more or less verbatim, astonishing compliance:

http://www.cheshire-today.co.uk/17098/cheshire-east-councillor-defects-to-ukip/

A comment I've posted is awaiting moderation there too.

I doubt it'll make much difference. Most of those determined to vote UKIP Conservative/Labour/Greens will do so regardless of the integrity of their candidates or the coherence of their policies. It may be a good thing if taken by our current politicians as a warning and acted on accordingly;

here's the UKIP puff piece regarding his appointment. My comment is 'awaiting moderation'...

http://ukipnw.co.uk/2013/06/cheshire-east-councillor-defects-to-ukip/comment-page-1/#comment-2098

This is a spectacular PR own goal by UKIP imo, they didn't even have to dig to find out this guy's past, it was just a straightforward power grab for a sitting councillor. I hope someone in the local association gets the hairdryer treatment for that, and Rachmann gets the boot pronto.

Narrowly avoided jail at a Crown court, welcomed with open arms. FFS.

FWIW, my comment was struck down by moderators. Shame on them.

I did read recently that UKIP are going to start vetting candidates more closely. That's a good thing of course but it's more important to compare UKIP's expelling of their bad apples with LibLabCon's tendency to close ranks round their own.

So, are UKIP politicians more corrupt than those of other parties... or is it just that the Party spin doctors don't have the decades of practice of their opposite numbers? :)

They're way more corrupt. Jailed for money laundering, jailed for fraud, they don't even try to disguise their true aim - to screw the people as hard as they can. Ukip are pure filth, nothing less.

I did read recently that UKIP are going to start vetting candidates more closely. That's a good thing of course but it's more important to compare UKIP's expelling of their bad apples with LibLabCon's tendency to close ranks round their own.

Yeah, but this one is different. This guy is was a sitting Tory councillor who was convicted of the fire safty offences in his property. His conviction was not custodial, meaning that he was not removed from his office as a councillor (3 months custodial is the bar for being removed), but his conviction did lead to his leaving the Conservative party and hence becoming an independent councillor from October 2012 until he was admitted to UKIP today.

This is not a story of some wrong 'un who lied about their past to circumvent scrutiny applied, or indeed a story of UKIP not having the resources to scrutinise. It is quite clear who this guy is, and what he has done, as he has remained a councillor in the same area throughout the entire period of the court case, conviction, resingnation and joining UKIP. He's not popped up at the other end of the country, or pretended he's someone else, or any such stuff. It's all pretty straightforward.

Imagine if, following having the Labour whip removed, Denis MacShane announced he was joining the Conservatives, and the Tories announced his arrival triumphantly. It would be farcical.

I've a great deal of sympathy with UKIP, and what they are trying to do, but this sort of thing has got to be condemned in the strongest possible terms. Their overall cause is damaged by this sort of thing, what are they thinking by lapping up a convicted criminal?

If this was the case of some person who had lied about their past etc, then they would be kicked out pretty quickly once it was uncovered. You'll note nothing has happened on that front. I sincerely hope this individual is kicked out, politics can do without people like that.

They're way more corrupt. Jailed for money laundering, jailed for fraud, they don't even try to disguise their true aim - to screw the people as hard as they can. Ukip are pure filth, nothing less.

Turning the froth up to 11 as usual, I see.

In the interests of balance, would you care to put the Tory, LibDem, Labour, and Green politicians who have been sent down in your sig too?

Yeah, but this one is different. This guy is was a sitting Tory councillor who was convicted of the fire safty offences in his property. His conviction was not custodial, meaning that he was not removed from his office as a councillor (3 months custodial is the bar for being removed), but his conviction did lead to his leaving the Conservative party and hence becoming an independent councillor from October 2012 until he was admitted to UKIP today.

This is not a story of some wrong 'un who lied about their past to circumvent scrutiny applied, or indeed a story of UKIP not having the resources to scrutinise. It is quite clear who this guy is, and what he has done, as he has remained a councillor in the same area throughout the entire period of the court case, conviction, resingnation and joining UKIP. He's not popped up at the other end of the country, or pretended he's someone else, or any such stuff. It's all pretty straightforward.

Imagine if, following having the Labour whip removed, Denis MacShane announced he was joining the Conservatives, and the Tories announced his arrival triumphantly. It would be farcical.

I've a great deal of sympathy with UKIP, and what they are trying to do, but this sort of thing has got to be condemned in the strongest possible terms. Their overall cause is damaged by this sort of thing, what are they thinking by lapping up a convicted criminal?

If this was the case of some person who had lied about their past etc, then they would be kicked out pretty quickly once it was uncovered. You'll note nothing has happened on that front. I sincerely hope this individual is kicked out, politics can do without people like that.

Then I take it back. Good post by the way. They'll still get my vote for the Euros; at the next general election though I'll almost certainly revert to the ABL.

Then I take it back. Good post by the way. They'll still get my vote for the Euros; at the next general election though I'll almost certainly revert to the ABL.

I hope this Silvester guy gets canned, and quickly.

Edit I wrote to Paul Nuttal MEP, who happens to be my elected representative, to suggest the admittance of Silvester to UKIP is a pretty bad idea.

Edited by cheeznbreed