House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHF

Forum Rules Question

Can anyone tell me if it is against the rules to write a post in a section of the forum (all about renting) then realise it might not get many views and subsequently a post in off topic, deliberately referencing said post and even going so far as to copy the entire text into this post

Had some problems in a new house ive rented.

Long story short - loads of bags of rubble in back garden, rotten food, recycling bins full of soil/dog mess/food etc ( i dont tend to check bins when i view a house).

Couldnt see the rubble bags when we viewed the house as we only looked at back garden out of french doors/upstairs window and they were tight against the house.

Effectively the back garden has been unusable due to smell of rubbish, ants and flies etc.

After 4 months of pestering the LA and getting lot of promises, ive just taken the day off and hired a skip and a few gardeners and we are going to remove it all. Obviously I will be paying for this but will be invoicing the LA/Landlord.

All communication has been logged and i have told them over 8 weeks ago that i would eventually do it myself and invoice them. They promised someone would get in touch but no-one did. Also got photos of rubbish and work being carried out.

So naturally someone is getting billed. My question is around who to bill and can i withold rent.

I know its usually not advised to breach a contract to remedy another breach Ie stop paying rent until they reimburse me.

I am going to invoice the LA and see what happens - just wanted to know where i stand

cheers

I have a feeling it is against the rules but would welcome clarification.

Thanks

:o)

Can anyone tell me if it is against the rules to write a post in a section of the forum (all about renting) then realise it might not get many views and subsequently a post in off topic, deliberately referencing said post and even going so far as to copy the entire text into this post

Had some problems in a new house ive rented.

Long story short - loads of bags of rubble in back garden, rotten food, recycling bins full of soil/dog mess/food etc ( i dont tend to check bins when i view a house).

Couldnt see the rubble bags when we viewed the house as we only looked at back garden out of french doors/upstairs window and they were tight against the house.

Effectively the back garden has been unusable due to smell of rubbish, ants and flies etc.

After 4 months of pestering the LA and getting lot of promises, ive just taken the day off and hired a skip and a few gardeners and we are going to remove it all. Obviously I will be paying for this but will be invoicing the LA/Landlord.

All communication has been logged and i have told them over 8 weeks ago that i would eventually do it myself and invoice them. They promised someone would get in touch but no-one did. Also got photos of rubbish and work being carried out.

So naturally someone is getting billed. My question is around who to bill and can i withold rent.

I know its usually not advised to breach a contract to remedy another breach Ie stop paying rent until they reimburse me.

I am going to invoice the LA and see what happens - just wanted to know where i stand

cheers

I have a feeling it is against the rules but would welcome clarification.

Thanks

:o)

Not sure - but did you do inspections and then stuff appeared? Or you highlighted and they said would be moved by time of move in? If so, stronger case.

Just post in the main forum and it'll be moved after a while anyway.

Not that I've ever done that.

If i were you i would be booking my flight to Venezuela asap.

Under the circumstances it doesn't sound like the crime of the century.

Huzzah for common sense. I know there are some great people on the renting forum but Ive left it all last minute and want to send the invoice before I go away in a couple of days.

And I wouldn't/couldn't miss the opportunity to bump this up in a cynical display of sycophancy.

Be very careful. The landlord will almost certainly try to get his money back from the deposit. So whatever you do.

Use the deposit as the last month rent.

Thought of that but if I formally invoice and he pays then I kind of hope the TDS will nail his hat on with that evidence behind me.

Unless you are referring to trumped up wear and tear or damage and you have a probabaly valid point.

UPDATE:

Submitted an invoice for the work along with detailed particulars at end of June. Went on holiday for a few weeks. On return the email hadnt even been acknowledged. Chased again for an acknowledgement and they said they would respond in due course. I advised them they had already taken 3 weeks to even acknowledge and that i was only prepared to give them another 48 hours.

48 hours passed last night so jut submitted my county court claim.

Think it will get interesting now................

what was on the Inventory?

Does your AST deny access to the garden.

Does the AST demand that you keep the garden ship shape and Bristol fashion...most do.

The best procedure is to inform the LL or his agent in writing( i usually call and follow up by email) and demand action...allow a week, then demand action or else you will do it yourself and expect reimbursement...do it in writing again..If it gets to this stage i would personally serve the letter.

Still no action, carry out the work and invoice, detailing expenses and costs along with reciepts.

then its much same procedure for recovery...except this time you are going to the Small Claims Court.

what was on the Inventory?

Does your AST deny access to the garden.

Does the AST demand that you keep the garden ship shape and Bristol fashion...most do.

The best procedure is to inform the LL or his agent in writing( i usually call and follow up by email) and demand action...allow a week, then demand action or else you will do it yourself and expect reimbursement...do it in writing again..If it gets to this stage i would personally serve the letter.

Still no action, carry out the work and invoice, detailing expenses and costs along with reciepts.

then its much same procedure for recovery...except this time you are going to the Small Claims Court.

done all of that mate (pretty much step for step)

Hence the claim form issued today :lol: