House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuG III

Delta-Search

Watch out, there's a virus about!

First one that's got through Bull-Guard in about 5 years. It redirects your browser to a google-lookalike page. I thought it looked dodge so googled it on my phone, and yes its a virus.

Take care.

Just use Linux like the rest of us and you don't have to worry about viruses anymore... B)

Using Windows to browse the Internet is comparable to a woman walking around in a micro-mini skirt in Saudi Arabia, it's simply asking for trouble... :D

Just use Linux like the rest of us and you don't have to worry about viruses anymore... B)

Using Windows to browse the Internet is comparable to a woman walking around in a micro-mini skirt in Saudi Arabia, it's simply asking for trouble... :D

I have neither the time nor the inclination for Linux.

Can anyone recommend a decent malware scrubber?

I have neither the time nor the inclination for Linux.

Can anyone recommend a decent malware scrubber?

superantispyware

malwarebytes

are both likely to be able to deal with it

My sites get loads of hits from delta search.. In fact I have had some good business from it.

I thought it was just another obscure search engine like ask or ask jeeves... Never realised it was a redirect malware.

I have looked on it and not seen any ads so what's its angle?

Watch out, there's a virus about!

First one that's got through Bull-Guard in about 5 years. It redirects your browser to a google-lookalike page. I thought it looked dodge so googled it on my phone, and yes its a virus.

Take care.

Got me. I thought I'd picked it up when I downloaded some help file for my mobile phone.

I uninstalled the programmes but it still came back, there were ten instances on my last Spybot sweep. All now killed by trusty Spybot.

My sites get loads of hits from delta search.. In fact I have had some good business from it.

I thought it was just another obscure search engine like ask or ask jeeves... Never realised it was a redirect malware.

I have looked on it and not seen any ads so what's its angle?

It makes delta your search engine and home page and you can't change it. It may be no more than that.

for those of you caught with this crap in your browserS

first try to remove using the adremove programs

if that fails, google for hitman Pro by SurfRight and run the freescan on that. remove all the threats.

Then Malwarebytes and full Antivirus scan, and possibly Avast Browser cleanup for all your browsers addons.

This has worked for Yontoo and snap.do infections that users find impossible to explain, and cant remove..

I think more to do with economics rather than it's impossible to infect, the user base isn't there to bother with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

Windows malware is big business because of the number of users.

I think more to do with economics rather than it's impossible to infect, the user base isn't there to bother with it.

It's not just economics, Linux is a lot harder to infect simply because of the diversity in the Linux world, there are so many Linux distros each using different versions of the core system libraries and the kernel and different security setups that if you attempt to write a virus for Linux it will only work on a rather small percentage of all PCs running Linux.

So to be precise there is no such thing as the Linux, instead there are many flavours of Linux kernel based distributions.

In practice all this means that when running any Linux distribution on your PC for browsing the Internet you can be sure that no virus or spyware will infect your PC.

It's not just economics, Linux is a lot harder to infect simply because of the diversity in the Linux world, there are so many Linux distros each using different versions of the core system libraries and the kernel and different security setups that if you attempt to write a virus for Linux it will only work on a rather small percentage of all PCs running Linux.

So to be precise there is no such thing as the Linux, instead there are many flavours of Linux kernel based distributions.

In practice all this means that when running any Linux distribution on your PC for browsing the Internet you can be sure that no virus or spyware will infect your PC.

It's not just that there are different flavours of Linux; the robustness of the permissions system used by Linux also makes it much harder to write viruses for that operating system.

Windows systems, on the other hand, seem almost designed for security breaches. Just today I was fiddling with some game recording software on my lad's Windows 7 PC, which is set up with me as administrator and him as a normal user. The daft thing is that this software (FRAPS) always needs to be run as administrator (!) and so every time he wants to use it, I have to enter my password. This is bloody inconvenient and a strong incentive to circumvent the permissions system completely. This is the sort of crap you don't have to deal with under Linux!