House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
membrane

Couple Of Questions For First House Buy

I'm currently in the process of buying my first house, & have a couple of questions about the process as I'm not over confident with our solicitor, who appears to have taken a vow of silence & only seems to answer 1 question per correspondence & that's in the vaguest terms possible.

Anyway I've had lots of search results through the post all coming up apparently fine, but the priorities of the responses seem odd to say the least ie I've had a massive run down about the chances of getting Japanese knot-weed at the property, but when it came to the house boundaries there was a tiny black & white thumbnail picture no bigger than 5cm with just a red pen line drawn around it, is this normal, I was expecting a massive spiel with coordinates down to a gnats nidger blah blah blah but no. I basically haven't a clue how much will be mine (I can assume with the fence lines, but is that right?)

The other question I have is the we have received the completion statement with all the relevant bills asking for us to pay Asap, but we haven't exchanged contract or anything which a quick Google tells me is the norm (well as far as we know we haven't exchanged contracts but again that may have something to do with the vow of silence), however the mortgage people require 7 days release notice & that hasn't been asked for (check with the mortgage people who do talk to us), so why should I pay the sizeable deposit into just this random account number & sort code we have been given (presumably just taking her word for it that its a business account instead of her own personal in doing a runner account, how can you tell, what protection do you have?) when we haven't even got a completion date?

thanks in advance

Durged

Anyway I've had lots of search results through the post all coming up apparently fine, but the priorities of the responses seem odd to say the least ie I've had a massive run down about the chances of getting Japanese knot-weed at the property, but when it came to the house boundaries there was a tiny black & white thumbnail picture no bigger than 5cm with just a red pen line drawn around it, is this normal, I was expecting a massive spiel with coordinates down to a gnats nidger blah blah blah but no. I basically haven't a clue how much will be mine (I can assume with the fence lines, but is that right?)

Perfectly normal, copy's of land registry docs aren't going to be the highest of quality. It's only when there's ammenments to boundaries (selling part of a plot or a contest to a boundary) that things get a bit more specific. In the grand scheme of things without any recent changes to a boundary (within the last sale) you can assume the land registry entry is correct for your plot. Japanese knotweed on the other hand, if your solicitor has had the slightest evidence of it being present on your plot, he/she would be easily justifiable in running through all the risks with you. Bear in mind your solicitor not only is working for you, but must ensure your lenders best interests are met equally.

The other question I have is the we have received the completion statement with all the relevant bills asking for us to pay Asap, but we haven't exchanged contract or anything which a quick Google tells me is the norm (well as far as we know we haven't exchanged contracts but again that may have something to do with the vow of silence), however the mortgage people require 7 days release notice & that hasn't been asked for (check with the mortgage people who do talk to us), so why should I pay the sizeable deposit into just this random account number & sort code we have been given (presumably just taking her word for it that its a business account instead of her own personal in doing a runner account, how can you tell, what protection do you have?) when we haven't even got a completion date?

Your solicitor will prepare your completion statement when they're close to exchange. Sounds like you just need to actually speak to them and clarify. You shouldn't be worried about transferring cash to them, presumably you signed an instruction contract with them?! If you're having trouble communicating with them in a reasonable timeframe (minimum a good conveyancing solicitor would work to is 2 times a week on the phone for a catch up) then ditch them and instruct a new one. A good solicitor is worth their weight in gold and I'm amazed when people chose the cheapest conveyancing solicitors they can, false economy is an understatement. This is the biggest financial obligation your likely to ever have in your life, scrimping on '000s could cost you much much more when you eventually resell.

Edited by thombleached

Many thanks for that, you've put my mind somewhat at rest. The solicitor was chosen as a recommendation, as we wanted someone we could trust, as you say with the biggest financial decision we'll probably make so budget wasn't a factor & I've no problem with the quality of her work (now you've explained the boundary thing), it's the communication that's so annoying (2 conversations a week? I wish, we've had none, except a couple badgered through by ourselves, where we just get "you don't understand the process, it's your first time", with no explanation of the process) all we got was just various searches through the door with no idea when they will end it how things are going are when they will end.

Anyway we must be close now. Oh & thanks for doing my solicitors job for her